Search results

1. DanMc

Lengthing/moving 110V wire

jw: ah. I understand. You are correct, to make them permanently accessible would not really be possible in this case without it being really ugly. it seems a different spot may be my only option. was trying to keep it centered relative to some windows and in the same relationship as other...
  2. DanMc

Jim: they are not IC cans. The small junction box on the can is at the end of a metal bracket about 3--4 inches long. The box and bracket are an integral part of the can. hj: these would be new boxes. I am thinking something like cut the existing wire where it crosses a joist. Then add...
  3. DanMc

I would like to add a recessed light, a couple in fact, in the ceiling of my 1st floor study. For a short time I have access from above because the flooring is being replaced on the second floor. The problem i have is that there is a wire, 14/2 nm, running through the joists on its way to a...
  4. DanMc

Dryer vent seal by roof

Here is a sketch of what I have currently. The duct is 3" solid duct. The hole in the roof is probably 8-10" diameter although I didn't measure. On top of the hole in the roof is a metal thing which is somewhat cone shaped. It necks down to a 3" diameter opening. A second metal piece...
  5. DanMc

Dryer vent seal by roof

My washer and dryer are on the 2nd floor of my 2 story house. The dryer vent goes into the wall and then straight up into the attic. Once in the attic it tips to maybe 30 degrees from vertical and continues up to a roof vent. I can stand in the attic but it is one which is accessed via a pull...
  6. DanMc

crawlspace/under deck insulation

Do I just use some sort of construction adhesive to hold the foam in place? Do I need some sort of vapor barrier in there somewhere? And is it ok to leave the foam exposed or does it need to be covered? I'm wondering both in terms of any sort of fire code and in terms of protecting the...
  7. DanMc

crawlspace/under deck insulation

I am trying to address an insulation problem that the builders of my house created. I am attaching a sketch of the area in question to hopefully make it more clear. The house is two stories and it has an unfinished basement. My office is in a corner room of the first floor and there is a...
  8. DanMc

wall cap considerations for range hood

I agree that HD and similar don't seem to carry the highest quality products. It is frustrating because I figure I can pay now for something decent or pay later when I'm dealing with failures or marginal performance. I struck out with finding something better locally. Any experience with the...
  9. DanMc

wall cap considerations for range hood

I have a microwave/range hood combo in my kitchen that was here when I bought the place. I did some reading and see that it can be converted from recirculating (worthless) to outside venting (yay). The unit is mounted on an exterior wall and it seems that the spot for the vent duct is between...
  10. DanMc

Dryer venting and washer pan

booster fan ordered. Thanks for the tips there. Looks like the Killarney steel pan is what I'll use for the washer. Any thoughts about the dryer which has steam? I'm planning on using those auto-shutoff hoses so is a pan under the dryer as well just overkill? The steel pans aren't cheap but...
  11. DanMc

For brands, I was talking about the booster. The exact washer and dryer are already somewhat set. We're in the process of merging two homes into one and the washer/dryer in my house are 20 years older than the washer/dryer in her house so it is pretty clear which set we want to keep. Modern...
  12. DanMc

ok. Something like 4 bricks, in each corner to elevate it? Any experience with driptite and longevity? I certainly have noticed that in this house it always takes longer on jeans and towels than other places I've lived. Of course I now live in the humid southeast but the duct is long. I...
  13. DanMc

Closet light considerations

My son has indicated that he'd like a light in his bedroom closet. His room is on the 2nd floor of a two story house. The attic is unfinished and has a pulldown trapdoor/ladder. I haven't fully scoped out how difficult it may be to gain access to the power from a wall outlet or light switch...
  14. DanMc

Hello, I have two washer/dryer questions. My house is a two story house with an unfinished attic that has a pull down trapdoor/ladder. The laundry "room" is a closet on the 2nd floor. The washer sits in a plastic pan which I guess at one point may have served to prevent lots of water...
  15. DanMc

adding outdoor outlet under deck

yuck. the sharing of bathroom circuit and outdoor outlets was done by the original builder of the house which is 20-25 years old. Then again, I assume that's who used that stupid "jam the wire in the back instead of using the screw terminals" wiring which seems to fail. unfortunately the...
  16. DanMc

the circuit I hoped to tap into is a 15 amp circuit and as near as I can tell it consists of 1 outlet in each of 3 bathrooms, one outlet on the front porch, and one outlet on the outside of the house by the back door that opens onto the deck for a total of 5 outlets. They are all protected by a...
  17. DanMc

Hello, I have a deck on the back of my house. The ground slopes such that if you are under the deck near the house at one end there is about 3 feet from the ground to the deck joists. As you crawl/walk along the edge of the house towards the other end of the deck the ground slopes down...
  18. DanMc

Options for moving toilet water supply

The pipe coming up through the floor is copper pipe. The shutoff valve is a compression fit screw on type on the end that attaches to the pipe. The output end of the shutoff valve is threaded and goes to the flexible line that attaches to the toilet.
  19. DanMc

Actually, I think my screw up was not picking the toilet and carefully reading the instructions much earlier in the project. I didn't actually install the water line. I just left it where it was. It never crossed my mind that it might not work with a new toilet. Guess that's where lack of...
  20. DanMc

The bathroom is on the second floor. The water pipe runs under the floor and then up through the tile floor right next to the wall. So unfortunately, opening the drywall in the wall won't help because the pipes are not in the wall at all. As far as what is below, it is a drywall ceiling...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks