Search results

1. osx-addict

Stupid questions...regarding wiring.. irrigation

Thanks Bob.. Sorry about the sarcasm.. I didn't mean anything by it.. I didn't think about looking at the X10 stuff.. Haven't played with that for 15+ years.. I think I'd opt for other ways if the wire run was longer but since it's not too long I'll just do the old fashioned way.. By the...
  2. osx-addict

Ok.. Just to chime in again since I obviously created quite the stir with my engaging topic :rolleyes: I asked a similar question on an electronics forum (allaboutcircuits) and while there would be no interferance induced onto the sprinkler lines by running it alongside AC power lines, it is...
  3. osx-addict

dry stack retaining wall in process

Yikes! That looks like a LOT of manual labor!! Looks great though! If I was reading correctly, you used no adhesive to hold things in place? Just curious..
  4. osx-addict

replacing bath fan

I've heard good things about the panasonics (yes, I realize this thread is very dated), but may opt for the FanTech stuff as it might be a good way to consolidate a few fans in the same part of the house.. Our kids bathroom has a NuTone fan that just can't keep up -- the kids shower and the...
  5. osx-addict

Whatever Happened To Integrated Tub/Shower Temp/Flow Controls?

We've got some Santec fixtures that were installed back in '07 and they work fine -- but they have no volume control on the cheaper line we opted for to save some $$.. The result is that the kids can chew through the hot water at a frantic pace.. Our shower, also using Santec hardware, has a...
  6. osx-addict

Hi all.. I've got a question but probably know the answer but figured I'd ask anyway.. I've got a house with two separate sprinkler controllers -- one is an old Toro model bought 10+ years ago from Home Depot -- nothing special.. The other is a nice Weathermatic SmartLine controller that is...
  7. osx-addict

Gas Water Heater-When To replace

Thanks.. I don't normally look at it as it's in a closet outside on the exterior of the house but IF it were to let loose and flood, it would end up in the garage as that's on the other side of the wall and would be the easiest place to drain to.. which of course would make a nice mess but not...
  8. osx-addict

Recessed garden hose boxes

Thanks for the note.. In my case the entire line this would be connected to is running through a PVB already installed but I realize what you're saying regardless. I'll look for some sort of alternative thing I can do in lieu of this finding.
  9. osx-addict

Thanks for the info.. Interesting comment.. The high-end AO Smith Vertex doesn't appear to share the same performance figures with either Rheem or Bradford-White.. Only the Vertex can claim a federal tax credit for efficiency -- neither Rheem or BW appear to have any models that even get close...
  10. osx-addict

I've got an 11 year old gas water heater (50g) that I'm also wondering about -- it was in storage (drained) for 6 months back in ''07 for a remodel but was put back in service afterwards. Eventually when the time comes I'd like to replace it with an AO Smith model but am not sure when...
  11. osx-addict

Issue with a Hunter ASV-075 Valve..

Well.. one of the valves had a piece missing and I was a bit concerned about the UV damage overall to the valves since they sit in direct sun for about 90% of the day... It was easier for me to just replace the valves with the knowledge it's unlikely that they'd give me any trouble in the next...
  12. osx-addict

Recessed garden hose boxes

Are there versions of these that won't break the bank? Most of them I've seen for in ground mounting (cement in my case) runs more than $500 and most are over $1100 for one.. Ouch! I'd like to use one for connecting above ground pots to a water source..
  13. osx-addict

Well.. I finally got over there to do diagnosis and took apart two of the valves (one working, one not) and found a couple of small white pieces of plastic in the non-functional valve. We ended up also checking the solenoids to make sure they were working as expected -- which was not what I was...
  14. osx-addict

Thanks for the reply.. In looking at the Hunter literature for this valve, I guess I can take the valve apart and see what I find without needing to cut any plumbing or whatnot.. I'll let you know what I find..
  15. osx-addict

Hi all.. I've got 3 of these Hunter valves that I installed about a year and a half ago in a rental property we've got. Apparently one of them has malfunctioned OR something I suppose could be clogging the pipe? I can not turn on the valve manually either electrically or by turning the...
  16. osx-addict

Question regarding diagnostic code on recently installed York GY9 series gas furnace

Thanks for the info.. I will likely call them.. Interestingly enough, I tried it again the other night and it ran just fine for about 15-20 minutes.. The house started getting a bit too warm and I shut it down -- haven't tried it since..
  17. osx-addict

Question regarding diagnostic code on recently installed York GY9 series gas furnace

Hi all.. We had a remodel done a bit over a year ago and the other day it was a bit cool so I turned on the furnace.. Anyway, it would run for a bit and then shutoff and that was the end of it.. After a while I noticed it wasn't warming the house so I popped up into the attic and removed the...
  18. osx-addict

Question regarding the running of high-voltage power cables

Hi all.. I'm guessing I already know the answer to this but thought I'd ask anyway.. I've got some existing 3/4" gray PVC conduit running under a patio that holds some low-voltage (12v) lighting cables and the sprinkler solenoid valve cabling.. I'd like to put a 110v weather-tight outlet in my...
  19. osx-addict

Question on use of one or two PVB's

Thanks for the reply.. I guess I might have to re-pipe my rear stuff if I can't (or shouldn't) have two PVB's in series.. My front one is working like a champ so far.. Thanks for the suggestions!
  20. osx-addict

Rainwater harvesting systems

Southern-- I re-ran my numbers with your calculation method above and depending on what rainfall numbers you believe for my area (either 12.55 or 14.79), I get the following for my home : 12.55/12 x 3220 x 7.48 x 0.98 = 24,685 gallons or 14.79/12 x 3220 x 7.48 x 0.98 = 29,091 gallons So, I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks