Search results

1. Theodore

House trap freezes

My neighbor's main house trap in the basement is against an exterior wall, cast in a concrete bench about 1ft above the basement floor. Problem is, the house is on a steep hillside and the basement facade in question is exposed (from top to bottom) to the open, so when it gets really REALLY...
  2. Theodore

Wiring outdoor equipment cabinet

Hi, we’ve a 1HP air compressor housed in a dedicated weatherproof outdoor cabinet (2ftx2ftx4ft) that provides air to our pond aeration system. It’s 240V and the cabinet interior has dedicated 240V outlets mounted to the inside of the wall. It was previously wired by just having an underground...
  3. Theodore

Do I need a crank case heater for my mini split compressor?

Hi, The insulation jacket of my mini split's compressor (SeaBreeze mini split heat pump, model SMZ42H46ZOGX) was partially melted during a brazing repair of an adjacent valve. I tried to order a new one. Manufacturer said they're not available, but sent a $30 crank case heater cable instead...
  4. Theodore

4 week lead time for ordering AC parts??

Hi, I've been waiting for 4+weeks for my AC guy to get parts in from "the supply house" to repair my mini split system (SeaBreeze mini split heat pump, model SMZ42H46ZOGX). On Labor Day, I had him order a valve and it took until October 1 for it to arrive and then he installed. But then...
  5. Theodore

Hot on both sides of dedicated outlet ?!?

Remodeled kitchen 3+years ago. Refrigerator is a dedicated 15amp line with NOTHING else on it, as per code of course. No earthquakes have occurred and no one has messed with the wiring for years. This morning the refrigerator stopped working but I figured out it still functions on another...
  6. Theodore

Using "Damp Rid" chemical dehumidifier in a small room

I have a small (5ft x 5ft x 5ft) "cold room" vault accessed from my basement. It's outside the envelope of the house (under 6" of dirt above too) except for the door from the basement. It's where the well pump and pressure tank is for my house. There is no vent or airflow in the room. Even...
  7. Theodore

Check valve needed on 2 pipe jet pump?

Does a 2 pipe jet pump (100ft deep, 1.25" and 1" dia pipes) need a check valve on its discharge pipe, in between the pump and a pressure tank? I suspect it would do more harm than good. Thanks Theodore
  8. Theodore

Daisy chaining extension cords - how much is too much?

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power. I have: 1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord 2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord 3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord...
  9. Theodore

Generator interlock kit

I have a 200amp panel with a 6 circuit manual transfer switch immediately adjacent to it. I use the transfer switch during power outages when I run my generator and power the water pump, boiler, refrigerator, water pump, and kitchen lights. We've had this setup for 8 years now and, it works...
  10. Theodore

Leaking foot valve: replace or alternative?

Hi, I have: 140ft deep well 100ft black polypropylene hoses: 1" and 1.25" dia in the well brass foot valve at end of hoses 1HP jet pump (Gould Pump/AO Smith) 33 gallon pressure tank (WWT35 Flexcon) About 9 years ago, the pump was progressively having shorter time between cycles, turning on...
  11. Theodore

Adding air handler to minisplit: is there an isolation valve??

Hi. I have a SeaBreeze mini split heat pump, model SMZ42H46ZOGX. It has 5 ports in total, and I currently have 4 in use. I’ve recently prepared the last indoor air unit for the 5th and final port to be connected. I’ve gotten a couple of quotes from HVAC folks for the connection, but they...
  12. Theodore

Temporarily closing supply/return ducts

Hi, My folks are elderly and live in a ranch home in Florida with one forced air central AC system. They have a master bedroom suite with supply ducts and one return register, and there are multiple supply ducts throughout the rest of the house, as well as two return registers elsewhere. They...
  13. Theodore

Corrosion at brass tank tee & pressure tank

Hi, Less than 3 years ago I replaced my pressure tank because it was rusting at the threaded connection where the brass tank tee is connected (which caused a slow drip leak). Pipes on either side of tank tee are 1" black plastic. My water is on the acidic side (6.7) and hard (16GPG), and...
  14. Theodore

Baseboard not working after bleeding it, but others do.

Hi, I have hydronic heat system at home. One zone. Boiler in basement with loop around the basement ceiling perimeter, with a set of venturis and Tees going to each baseboard upstairs and even to the 2nd floor. One baseboard unit on 2nd floor doesn't heat up. When i bleed the one bleed valve...
  15. Theodore

Drain and refill hydronic system (now w/acid neutralizer and water softener)?

Just installed acid neutralizer and water softener in my 50+year old house and it's working fine (I used test strips to check pH and hardness). Do I bother to drain and refill the boiler and hydronic heat system (with soft/non-acidic water) too? Or not worth the hassle? Just wondering because...
  16. Theodore

Poor flushing after replacing toilet discharge elbows

Hello. In the process of finishing the basement ceiling, I replaced the 1st floor toilet's 4" diameter long sweep 90deg elbow with a 4" short sweep elbow to get the pipe to stay between the ceiling joists/above the ceiling. Shortly after (not sure if immediate or a few months) the toilet has...
  17. Theodore

Braided Stainless Steel vs. PEX to appliance?

Hi, To allow for a little wiggle room, I've connected my water softener to the supply/distribution of my house with an 18" long - 3/4" diameter braided stainless steel "Water Heater Supply Line" from a big box store. But, there are some horror stories online of these things rupturing. Would...
  18. Theodore

Do I *need* a water filter with a neutralizer/softener

Hi. Apologies for maybe a dumb question, but, I've finally setup my acid neutralizer and water softener and was about to fill all up/turn on all valves when I thought: do I NEED a water filter before or after this setup? I'm on a well and have never had any significant sediment problems. In...
  19. Theodore

Wifi thermostat shuts off during hot water priority

Hi, Per previous thread (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/common-wire-question.78702/), I successfully added a common wire to my Argo AR861-211. But now there's a new peculiarity: when the hot water priority circulator to my indirect water heater (Superstor Ultra 40gal) is active...
  20. Theodore

Common wire question

Hi, My current thermostat is failing (LCD screen is illegible). Thinking about upgrading to a wifi enabled one. This is for hydronic heat only, no AC attached. The current thermostat has 2 active wires and a spare unused wire (before I finished the basement, I ran a 3wire cable from the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks