Search results

1. Gadgetrover

Pump cycling randomly and precipitous loss of pressure after 30 seconds.

Reach4, I am awaiting a vacuum gauge. In the meantime, I bought a pressure gauge and noted the following: * Pump cuts in at 30 psi and cuts out at 44 psi. * Pressure settles to around 43 psi. * Pump recovery time, from cut-in to cut-out ranges between 24 seconds and 28 seconds. The pressure...
  2. Gadgetrover

Reach4, thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have, at times, out of desperation, sprayed all the joints with some of that rubber spray compound (I think it is called FlexSeal). I was thinking about trying it on the union to see if it makes a difference. The new check valve is definitely...
  3. Gadgetrover

Valveman, thanks! I have certainly had my share of issues with unions over the years. I will have to do some rethinking to remove it from the system but I think it is a good idea to do so. It is there primarily to facilitate winterizing things and to be able to swap parts out a bit more quickly...
  4. Gadgetrover

Valveman and Reach4, thanks for your help and suggestions. I will study the use of the cycle-stop valve a bit. Chances are that I will move to a 20 gallon pressure tank. If I do that, would I still need a cycle-stop valve? Reach4, your suggestions for winterizing the system after installing a...
  5. Gadgetrover

I have a sandpoint well with 2" pipe, 1/2 horse shallow-well jet pump, and small pressure tank. The point is down around 18 feet. I have a check valve installed around 3 feet from the pump right before the pipe to the well enters the ground. The setup has been working fine for a number of years...
  6. Gadgetrover

Sandpoint well ... Grasping for straws to avoid digging it up (again)!

FINAL UPDATE I drove the pipe back down 3 feet or so and we seemed to get a decent flow using the transfer pump and hose. We used the transfer pump to pull water out of the pipe until it was clear and then reconnected the new poly pipe, new connectors, etc. Things worked fine last night and, as...
  7. Gadgetrover

UPDATE Under the assumption that I had driven the point completely through the aquifer, I brought the point up three feet, the whole time with a hose down the well pipe and a utility pump valiantly trying to pump water. Bringing it up 3 feet brought it to where it was when we seemed to be...
  8. Gadgetrover

Reach4, thanks, that is the good information on shocking the well. We have a definite mineral issue here and I had not thought about he effect of pH on the action of the bleach. Yesterday, we pulled up the well pipe, examined it, carefully redid all the couplings, and re-drove it back into the...
  9. Gadgetrover

Hi, Reach4, I appreciate your help! The vertical pipe is, in fact, 3-4 feet up from the tee. I had a longer pipe on it originally that brought it up a couple feet above ground level. Our pump, I suspect, would be in the self-priming category in that there is always water in the pump allowing it...
  10. Gadgetrover

UPDATE At this point, I am posting in the hope that our experiences somehow help somebody else in a similar situation. In any event, yesterday, we dug up the entire line going from the pump to the house. The line is poly with plastic connectors going from poly to galvanized at each end. Upon...
  11. Gadgetrover

I have excavated the run of pipe to the house and have noted no obvious issues with the plastic...

I have excavated the run of pipe to the house and have noted no obvious issues with the plastic pipe. Strangely, the well no longer seems to be losing prime, at least in 20 minutes as it has been doing, consistent with my having successfully tested everything prior to burying things initially. I...
  12. Gadgetrover

I should mention that the pump loses its prime within 15-20 minutes and the pump pulls water...

I should mention that the pump loses its prime within 15-20 minutes and the pump pulls water from the hot water tank when its prime has been lost, prior to sputtering, losing the stream altogether and finally re-priming. The latter has me puzzled since the water heater is on the pressure side...
  13. Gadgetrover

Valveman, I still have yet to receive a response other than yours regarding my sandpoint well...

Valveman, I still have yet to receive a response other than yours regarding my sandpoint well saga. I am at a crossroad right now as to dig up the line from the well pipe to the house or pull the well pipe up. Do you have a feeling for the success of one versus the other? Note that I have...
  14. Gadgetrover

UPDATE We are down to pulling up the well pipe and/or the plastic pipe to the building since redoing the connections at the tee and torquing on the well pipe did nothing. The good news is that the storms are hitting, tornadoes have been spotted in the area and we may be able to take refuge in...
  15. Gadgetrover

UPDATE After going through all the joints above ground and resetting them and replacing pieces as needed, and placing the check valve immediately prior to the elbow that goes into the plastic underground pipe and noting no improvement, I have now dug up the main well pipe to the tee that brings...
  16. Gadgetrover

I have a sand-point well which, beyond the pump, consists of all new piping, connectors, well point, etc. We had been having problems with the well for some time and ended up pulling the old well point and driving a new one a few feet away. The old point was very obstructed and not allowing the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks