Search results

1. Paul Reece

New house, 55+ community, cookie-cutter designs... can't FIND the irrigation BFP.

There are 45 nearly identical homes (in footprint anyway) with identical Hunter irrigation systems. Warm we3ather climate (Atlanta) with shallow buried irrigation piping. Homes are on slabs... no basements or crawl spaces. Three front-yard access boxes (water meter, whole-house shutoff...
  2. Paul Reece

Can we do gutters and downspouts in this forum?

I don't envy you trying to solve your drainage problems, man. But, as you might notice in the pictures, I'm not limited or confined by yardspace factors. I have a full quarter-acre, but the hard, impervious, terra cotta clay of north Georgia isn't nearly as forgiving as the sandy soil of...
  3. Paul Reece

Three-inch pvc suffices for the run from the rear downspout to the front downspout, but after they merge, four-inch is recommended.
  4. Paul Reece

That's what I'm planning, Jeff. It's that 100-foot trenching job mostly across hard, flat clay that I'm hoping to simplify. I'm ready to bite the bullet on the $300 core drilling at the curb. I'm even prepared to tunnel under the sidewalk. But I'm too damned old to dig the Suez Canal.
  5. Paul Reece

Thanks for the thoughts, but drain tiles would still leave the rainwater in my back yard and flowing into my neighbor's. We don't pay for runoff control. The expectation is that pop-up emitters and pipes through the curb will send storm water to the community retention pond by way of the...
  6. Paul Reece

If so, I would appreciate some input to a plan I'm considering. I have a large but low and poorly drained back yard. The two downspouts on the back of my house empty into this low area. On the most troublesome side of the house, I want to direct the water from that backyard downspout to the...
  7. Paul Reece

Replace ONE large tile (and substrate) on shower wall

Okay, guys. Mastic is DEFINITELY off the shopping list. Thanks for the tip on Lowes, Jim. The only reason I was trying to avoid thinset was the apparent requirement to purchase it by the ton. Your advice dovetails perfectly with Whit's, so I'm off to a good start. Nothing I can do about the...
  8. Paul Reece

Just the sort of guidance I was looking for. Many thanks, Whit. You've identified some new products and priorities.
  9. Paul Reece

My best access to the faucet/filler plumbing of my bathtub was through the wall of the adjacent shower stall. That wall is tiled with large 12 x 24 ceramic tiles. I was successful in cutting out one complete tile and its substrate (something similar to Durock) without damaging surrounding...
  10. Paul Reece

Is "Vacuum Breaker Arrestor" really needed here?

Yeah, Jim, it appears that this new "sealed," no-leak unit is a recent innovation by Sioux Chief and serves more than one purpose... maybe depending upon WHERE it's placed in the water flow. Thanks for your input. -p
  11. Paul Reece

The "device that Reach 4 linked" is indeed the item that Kohler specifies for this application. I didn't include that info in my OP because it was on another page of the Installation Guide. As you say, it appears that Kohler is more focused on pressure than on vacuum. I don't know if it...
  12. Paul Reece

Good background info, and sound guidance. Thank you, TR. I'll put it in, using PEX where it looks safe and reliable. -p
  13. Paul Reece

Thanks, Reach, for helping an old guy feel not quite so uninformed. Taking you response in tandem with the code considerations from Tuttle, I guess I'll just have to put it in. -p
  14. Paul Reece

I have a deck mounted, three-hole filler spout on my bathtub, and I want to replace it using the same holes to install a three-piece unit consisting of a mixer valve, spout with diverter, and hand shower. Hole spacing is not an issue. Kohler's installation guide recommends the installation of a...
  15. Paul Reece

Kohler "Archer" acrylic: Install guide makes NO MENTION of ledgers. WHY?

Well, you're gonna have a hard time believing this but the bathtub has to go back to Kohler, and they're going to replace it. In another post, on this same chat board (showers, etc), I outlined my suspicions that the tub was badly made, and the tiling flange was all screwed up. It turns out it...
  16. Paul Reece

Please comment: Tiling flange irregularities--Big problems ahead

You're a more tolerant and forgiving guy than I am, Doug. My tub is going back to Kohler for replacement under the company warranty. The second of two repairmen assigned to my problem by Kohler came out to look at it (the first one turned down the job after we talked about it on the phone)...
  17. Paul Reece

Kohler "Archer" acrylic: Install guide makes NO MENTION of ledgers. WHY?

My wife and I are in our fifth whole-house renovation. This ain't our first rodeo... and it's not our first bathtub installation, either. In fact I was just beginning to feel pretty comfortable with the ledger board/mortar bed process. But now, there's this. As I continue to struggle with the...
  18. Paul Reece

Bathtub (with shower) trap size

Thanks, HJ. I'll go with the 2", solvent weld trap. I can't find an appropriate 2 x 1- 1/2 trap adapter, so I'll just cement in a pipe "increaser" between the tub drain and the trap.
  19. Paul Reece

Retired (2009) journalist and teacher. Now indulging myself with DIY home renovations and...

Retired (2009) journalist and teacher. Now indulging myself with DIY home renovations and motorcycle touring.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks