Search results

1. Garn

How to make tub faucet handle stick to splines without a screw

Thank you all for your replies. I thought I'd be notified when replies were posted and just decided today to check in case the notifications had failed. I know something sticky to make it work isn't something a pro would normally do, but it will be fine for my purposes if the handles will...
  2. Garn

How to make tub faucet handle stick to splines without a screw

The plastic handles for hot and cold on my tub faucet work perfectly except for falling off occasionally because the screws that used to hold them onto the stems have rusted away and have no heads. I might be able to use a screw extractor to remove what's left of the rusted screws, but they're...
  3. Garn

Faucet seat sleeve, re-rounding inner edge, or double washer?

Thank you, but I know there's a square into which I could insert a seat wrench. I just don't trust that the seat will unscrew rather than break or break what it's screwed into. Everything in this house is built to the barest minimum, and the seat has been in extremely hard water for 34 years...
  4. Garn

I don't want to try to replace the seats, because everything is this house is cheaply built, and I'm afraid something will break and require opening up the wall to replace the whole valve assembly.
  5. Garn

I'm trying to stop a fairly slow drip through the spout of a compression bathtub faucet that has been in place since 1988. Replacing the flat washers worked for as much as six months in the past, but the seat surface has needed to be dressed periodically, and any more dressing will make it too...
  6. Garn

Dry Fit Bottoms Out in 1-1/2" ABS Tees

The 1-1/2" ABS pipe I bought at Home Depot dry fits all the way to the bottom of the tees I also bought there. I tried it on a few different pipes and several different tees. If there's no wiggle, can these be solvent-welded reliably? Ah, I just found this...
  7. Garn

Alternative Recessed Floor Drain

Very helpful, Wayne; thank you!
  8. Garn

Alternative Recessed Floor Drain

I need a recessed floor drain like the one described at Family Handyman here: https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/laundry-room-plumbing-a-recessed-pvc-floor-drain/ Here's their assembly: However, my 2" drain is ABS, and the sewer and drain adapter used in the above assembly isn't...
  9. Garn

Preferred $100-ish thermostatic mixing valve for shower?

My top candidates, based on affordability, are the SentinelPro Thermostatic Pressure Balanced Shower Valve by Speakman and the 1/2 in. Thermostatic Temperature and Volume Control Tub and Shower Valve and Cartridge by Pfister. Do you have a preference between these two--or some other valve at a...
  10. Garn

Connecting 3/4" poly to old PVC underneath well house

Thank you, Reach4. I had looked for an adapter with brass for the poly and PVC on the other end and couldn't find one. The selection of adapters for poly is surprisingly sparse at HD and almost every other plumbing retailer.
  11. Garn

If the poly would hold reliably on a PVC insert in a relatively unstressed environment (buried 12" below the frost line), that fitting would be an excellent solution. I hope some of the people who have posted about insert fittings on other threads will see this and weigh in.
  12. Garn

Thank you, Reach4. That would be simpler, and avoiding threads would be great, but almost everyone on this forum seems to indicate that poly has to clamp onto brass (or stainless steel, perhaps) inserts to hold reliably. Do you disagree?
  13. Garn

I'm almost sure there's nothing wrong with this plan, but before I commit to it, checking with people with more experience seems wise. I'm in an area with a frost depth of less than 12". Around 24" underground is 3/4" PVC that used to supply a house that was on the property 20 years ago. Now...
  14. Garn

Poly to PEX coupling safe inside house with wood floors?

Interesting, Reach4; thank you for the research and reference!
  15. Garn

Thanks again, Reach4. True that the handle greatly influences how much torque one can apply. SupplyHouse, which you cited re the tool, was the one place that had the PE to PEX fitting; I'm surprised it isn't more common. Boiling water does sound safest, in terms of temperature control. The...
  16. Garn

Thank you, Reach4. I abbreviated my earlier question, leaving out the female threads to PEX fitting, and now I can leave it out in actuality. I hadn't found the type of fitting you posted before, but now that you showed that it exists, I just tracked it down. I appreciate the tip on the...
  17. Garn

Thanks again, all. It's a one-bath house, so I figure 3/4" will do. The tank is in the well house. I take it from no one saying otherwise that the fitting I asked about (the image of which appeared here automatically) will do.
  18. Garn

Thank you, water pro, too. I hadn't noticed that about the clamps in the photo on the HD site. Am I correct in believing that the worm-drive clamps are better than the type shown in that photo?
  19. Garn

Thank you very much, Terry! Is this fitting suitable, or would you recommend another? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3-4-in-Brass-Insert-x-MPT-Adaptor-POLYBIM34/203041862
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks