Search results

1. Daniel Collick

Tankless w/external circulator

I also didn’t know that Noritz makes a circ pump, RCPK-EXT, to be paired with the EZ line. Hope this info helps anyone else looking.
  2. Daniel Collick

Tankless w/external circulator

Is there a gas fired condensing tankless unit, with top mounted water connections, that works well with an external circulation pump? I like the top connections that are available in one of the Noritz lines, but none of them have a built in circulator. I know Noritz is one of several...
  3. Daniel Collick

Rinnai on demand T&P weeping

This is not my install. Home owner installed it and wants me to make it my problem since we go to the same church. It’s an open residential system, water heater is for domestic hot water supply only. No circulation pump. I checked pressure at the unit and at a hose bibb using two different...
  4. Daniel Collick

Rinnai on demand T&P weeping

Model: RU180IN Serial: 21PF.BA-134479 Temp set at 120 degrees House water supply pressure has been verified using different gauges at a couple different locations. Factory T&P failed as well as 2 others including Cash Acme and Watts. Each T&P starts to drip. It’s stupid but Rinnai isn’t being...
  5. Daniel Collick

As plumbers, should we just walk away…?

If I understand the intent it’s due to showers having a significantly lower flood rim, or the height of the threshold, compared to bathtubs which have a flood rim of anywhere from 17” to over 20” in height depending on the manufacturer. The lower threshold in a shower increases the possibility...
  6. Daniel Collick

“telescoping” in this case indicates an increase in pipe size for nothing other than the appearance of a correct installation. I see it more often in venting where vents that tie into each other should increase in size according to their vent fixture unit count, but it can be overlooked. Then...
  7. Daniel Collick

Indeed. My reputation is why my employer targeted my skill set and I know they’d never ask me to pursue jobs where contractors/customers prohibited me from doing the job correctly. I had to just remind myself, doing a job correctly is NOT an up-sell. Only the “hacks” would ever try to make a...
  8. Daniel Collick

A customer/contractor wants to convert a fiberglass tub to a walk-in shower, but the new shower needs a 2” drain. The customer/contractor is not committed to the work necessary for the plumber to provide a 2” drain, especially for a slab on grade installation, and insists on “telescoping” the...
  9. Daniel Collick

Flaring copper for below ground water piping

Yes, inside City of Bellingham especially, and likely all the other cities in Whatcom County, (Washington State) want underground water connections to be flared, or brazed. I’m not under the impression that there’s anything wrong with threaded, but my starting point was copper pipe. I don’t keep...
  10. Daniel Collick

Is tying into the existing stack or adding a new roof penetration preferred?

Some “roof jacks”, is what we call them in Washington State, may not be caulked, so you could possibly slide the pipe upward through the roof jack, but as mentioned you’d want to know what will be effected. If the roof jack is caulked, you’ll probably separate the caulk. If there are other vents...
  11. Daniel Collick

Flaring copper for below ground water piping

I thought I spent enough time researching flaring tools. The Hillmore that I purchased states it will flare 3/4” copper, but, as you can see in the picture, the 3/4” CTS copper doesn’t fit correctly in the block. Yes, we all know the OD is closer to 7/8”, but I figured as long as I’m using...
  12. Daniel Collick

Rerouting new residential main waste pipe.

Since we don’t do any excavating outside the footing we’ll be coordinating that portion with another contractor and they’ll install a clean out based on our recommendation. They don’t do anything inside the foundation which is our portion of the replacement. I’m sure the old line can be cleared...
  13. Daniel Collick

Rerouting new residential main waste pipe.

Old house. Buried cast iron in the crawl space. Mainline clogged and we can’t get through the 4” iron santees on their backs/sides with any of our cable machines. Customer wants a whole new sewer line instead of having the line jetted from the city manhole back upstream towards the house. With a...
  14. Daniel Collick

Underslab plumbing mock-up

Reach4 is right. If your drawing doesn’t specify, just make sure to use a 2” x 2” x 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” double fixture fitting and not a sanitary cross. Depending on the distance from the double fixture fitting to each fixture, as long as the total length of your trap arms don’t exceed 3’6”...
  15. Daniel Collick

Basement Bathroom Group Wet Vent

In the configuration I provided, once you pipe your water closet you don’t have to reduce down to 2” for your wet vent, but 2” is sufficient. If you have a 2x6” plumbing wall I’d keep the wet vent 3” just until the clean out, so a 3” clean out tee with a 3x2” bushing for your lav/wet vent, the...
  16. Daniel Collick

Basement Bathroom Group Wet Vent

I reserve the right to be wrong, but this configuration wouldn’t pass inspection nor would I pipe this type of configuration from a practical standpoint. If it’s never caused a problem, I can see why and that’s awesome, but I don’t think I’d leave it this way. The 3” vent may have been...
  17. Daniel Collick

Made mistake - plumber's putty on ABS tub drain threads - fix advice

Damage? Probably not. I could see putty really making it hard to get the ideal uniform contact from a tight slip joint seal that we usually achieve with no compounds and just hand tightening, no more than a 1/4 turn if necessary with a wrench because you’ll risk stripping out a plastic slip...
  18. Daniel Collick

Upstairs bathroom to downstairs kitchen sink

Yessir. That will work. If you can make room for one I’d still try to fit in a clean out where you’ve got a 2” coupling just above the concrete. If you’re required to put a head pressure test on those fittings for inspection you can use a Holdrite test tee that works very well for test.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks