Search results

1. Greenmountain

Expansion tank pressure?

Instructions for my boiler say to fill system to 16-18psi. If my boiler system pressure will be 17 psi filled, what should the pre-charge of my expansion tank be?
  2. Greenmountain

Control two actuators as one zone?

I'm setting up a hydronic heating system using supply and return manifolds with 5 ports each. There are actuators for the ports on the return manifold: https://www.pexuniverse.com/uploads/docs/pdf/a-4024-installation.pdf...
  3. Greenmountain

Cut & thread chrome brass tube?

hi all, I have a shower/valves/faucet combo that came with an antique clawfoot tub. The shower is too tall... low ceilings :( Can this stuff (chrome plated brass pipe?) be cut and re-threaded? diy, or maybe at a specialty shop? I've done lots of black iron, but nothing like this.
  4. Greenmountain

IPC, any problems with this arrangement?

The 3" c/o is somewhat obstructed but it's also redundant. The 2" going up is a dry vent, the trap is from a tub, and the 3" combo from a w/c. Does the 2" vented tub drain count as a horiz wet vent for the w/c here?
  5. Greenmountain

SanTee legal at 45?

I'm guessing this does not work, but since code considers 45 equal to verticle, would it then be legal to set a SanTee at 45? (All other aspects being normal/conventional in that the trap arm would come in horiz to a street 45 to the SanT, vent out the top through another street 45, and drain...
  6. Greenmountain

Water hammer arrestors?

I would assume that in an ideally plumbed boiler system they would not generally be necessary? But anyone ever use them? Even with relatively slow flow any fast closing valve can cause some hammer, true? Pros/cons for their use in a zone valved boiler system? thanks
  7. Greenmountain

Backflow preventer / do I really need autofill?

1. In working on designing my small residential system (50k boiler/1500sq') and shopping around for parts, I've found backflow preventers ranging in price from $5 to around $1000... Anyone have recommendations for brand/model? Something reliable, long lasting, and potable water safe? 2. How...
  8. Greenmountain

Conflicting info - fire rate efficiency

for the context of this question, I'm referring to mod-con boilers only. I've read conflicting info here as to efficiency vs firing rate; that boilers are more efficient at high fire rate, more efficient at low fire, and also that fire rate does not matter so long as return temps are under 130F...
  9. Greenmountain

Unusual set up: indirect as preheat for small combi?

I'm new at this, and am not sure if my idea makes sense so looking for some feedback. Boiler would be a Rinnai E50 and indirect a Heat-Flo 60g, three small zones plus the indirect as a 4th zone. I'm thinking of routing all my zone returns to flow through the indirect (manifold to indirect...
  10. Greenmountain

New to boilers... looking for general advice

considering either a combi unit or boiler/indirect hwh for a house/workshop at high altitude (9000') in CO. This will be a completely new system (no existing equipment) for an old house. Does get pretty cold in deep winter up here... and winter can last 9 months out of the year. not quite ready...
  11. Greenmountain

One well, two pumps, CSV set up?

I have two houses on one well. Currently have a pump in the well pressurizing a pressure tank in the lower house. Have one CSV currently mounted just above the well pump. Pressure switch cuts in around 42psi and cuts out around 62psi. The main waterline from the well tees off to each house...
  12. Greenmountain

Does this plan for DWV look OK?

sorry for the sloppyness... total diy beginner here... hoping this layout is not too far off. obviously not to scale... I colored in the 2" pipe; the vent line is 1.5" distance from utility sink trap to main stack is <3' so no need for vent there right?
  13. Greenmountain

Best type/brand check valve?

I'm looking for a check valve for my well... found these so far: http://www.zoro.com/hayward-check-valve-pvc-1-14-in-sktfnpt-tc10125st/i/G0453546/ http://flomatic.com/valves/check-valves/unleaded-bronze-check-valves/index.asp?valveid=98 what are the most reliable? check valve will go just...
  14. Greenmountain

using CSV, how long should it take to reach cut-out pressure

I just installed a new well pump and csv. I have a 4" 16gpm 1hp grundfos in a 5" stainless flow sleeve in an open water well. I don't have an accurate size for my pressure tank, so I am fussing with the pressure switch and csv to try to obtain optimal pressure but am not sure how long it...
  15. Greenmountain

Is NSF-DWV PVC toxic?

I am attempting to build a flow sleeve for a submersible pump that will be used for drinking water. I picked up some 6" PVC fittings (made by spears usa) which are marked "NSF-DWV" (the pipe is rated "NSF-pw"). The people at the store promised the fittings were fine for drinking water, but I'm...
  16. Greenmountain

need help choosing new well pump

I'm looking at these two pumps: Goulds 18GS15422C 18GPM 1.5HP 230V 2 Wire submersible well pump Grundfos 16S10-10, Material #10159510, 1 Horse Power, 1 Phase, 230 Volts, 4" Dia, 2-Wire, 16 gallon per minute. anyone have any feedback around one vs the other? thanks
  17. Greenmountain

Replace main iron stack with PVC?

I have several plumbing problems I believe I can remedy by cutting off the original CI stack and rebuild back up from the bottom with PVC. Is it acceptable to use something like the Fernco No-hub Coupling to attach the new pvc to the iron stub that would be left below the cut?
  18. Greenmountain

Remove old lead, add plastic - how to?

I have what appears to be a 1.75" OD galv pipe leaded into my iron stack. The stack fitting appears to be 3.75" OD. I would like to remove this and run 2" pvc from a shower drain to the stack, but I have no idea what I will find inside this stack fitting if I pull out the lead and pipe or if...
  19. Greenmountain

Water heater / furnace shared venting?

anyone know if a power direct vent furnace can share it's INTAKE vent with a power direct vent water heater? my furnace has a 3" PVC supply pipe (which reduces to 2.5" @ furnace). seems that would flow enough air for both...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks