Search results

1. JasonM

Questions on replacing shutoff valve under sink

I am planning to replace the 2 old shutoff valves under sink(as shown below) with the quarter turn shut off valve by BassCraft and its supply lines. May I ask 2 questions regarding this? 1. The 2 shutoff valves are behind the sink drain pipes. Is it usually doable to replace the shutoff...
  2. JasonM

Is it possible to repair this Nibco shut-off valve?

I the following Nibco shutoff valve and is 20 years old. It has the 2 problems. It does not shut off water completely and is leaking at the stem when turning. Is it possible to repair this in place or do I have to replace this? By the way, what type of valve is this? Angle, gate, or...
  3. JasonM

How to fix 1/2" washing machine shutoff valve leaking at the handle?

I have a leak or water dropping from the 1/2" washing machine shutoff valve as the photo shows below. Is this fixable by opening packing nut and replacing the washer or rubber packing or should I replace the whole shutoff valve? Thank you very much.
  4. JasonM

Is a small hole in the bath tub wall tile grout cause for concern?

I have about 40 years old bathtub wall tiles with grout in between. The tile size is about 4 x 4 and grout is about 1/8 to 3/16" thick. It is old, and sometimes due to the wear from the cleaning chemical like diluted CLR, I see a very small holes here and there in the grout. Is this a...
  5. JasonM

Afraid of water-leaking when replacing faucet compression shut-off valve

Maybe due to lack of enough experience, I am afraid of water-leaking when replacing the faucet compression shut-off valve. May I ask 2 questions regarding replacing the faucet compression shut-off valve? 1. If the water leaks even after replacing is done according to proper method, what can be...
  6. JasonM

Kitchen faucet shut-off valve keeps turning & not turning off water

I have a kitchen faucet shut-off valve that keeps turning and does not turn off off water. I was replacing the water filter under the sink, and the shut-off valve worked the first 3 times while doing this. But after that, somehow when I tried to close the shut-off valve, it keeps turning with...
  7. JasonM

Can't turn off the faucet to washing machine

I can not turn the handle to close the cold line faucet to the washing machine. I think it has been more than a decade at least to turn the handle to close it. I cleaned the mineral deposits with the CLR outside stem area, but still it will not turn. I have 2 questions. 1. If I turn the...
  8. JasonM

Questions on replacing old bathtub drain

I researched this site and learned that it is not easy to replace very old(40 yrs) bathtub drain. Can I ask 3 questions? 1. Is it difficult to replace the tub drain because the plumbers putty underneath the tub drain flange is stuck to the tub basin like a glue or the tub drain male thread is...
  9. JasonM

looking for ABS p-trap nut which says 1-1/2 x 1-1/4

I have an old p-trap under the bath sink, that is 1-1/2 in diameter. The top p-trap nut that joins the 1-1/4 sink drain tailpipe with the 1-1/2 size p-trap is broken at the thread(in yellow circle in the photos). I attached photos for reference. I do not think there is enough room for...
  10. JasonM

Is this old compression shut-off valve?

Is this (the one in yellow circle) an old compression shut-off valve? If so, do I hold the #1 with a wrench and turn the #2 clockwise to remove the shut-off valve? Is there also ferrel compression ring inside? Is there anything special that I have to do (any surprises) to remove or is it the...
  11. JasonM

Everflow vs Brasscraft bathroom faucet supply line

I am a plumbing newbie DIY and am thinking of purchasing 36" bathroom faucet supply lines. I noticed these as a pair at about $12 from Everflow brand, and HD has the Brasscraft for a single supply line at about $12, which is double the price of Everflow. Which brand item is better made and...
  12. JasonM

How to remove bathroom vanity top rust stain

I have removed about 40 years old bathroom faucet, and there are reddish rust stains where the handles were. I tried the Iron Out, rust stain remover from the Home Depot, but it is no help. I applied multiple times according to the direction. Is it possible to remove the round reddish rust...
  13. JasonM

How to open florescent light ballast cover?

I have the florescent light in bathroom, and I want to replace the ballast. I tried to pull out the cover, but somehow it does not come out. How can I open this cover so that I can replace the ballast? Here are the 3 photos. Thank you very much.
  14. JasonM

questions on replacing Mixet cartridge.

My Mixet shower valve was difficult to divert temperature from hot to cold and vice versa. It was about several years since a pro plumber replaced it. The house was built in the 1970's. So, I bought the following part from the local Home Depot, recommended by the staff there. "Cartridge...
  15. JasonM

Is it possible to repair the crack at the top of the shower door?

I have the 2 door sliding shower doors. One of it has a crack of about 2 inches or so at the top of the door frame. The door has the roller at the top and is hanging from the top. I think it is aluminum but I am not sure. For now, it is working fine, but I am afraid that the crack will become...
  16. JasonM

Can this be used for "C" wire to the digital thermostat?

I have more than 30 year old gas furnace made by "Day & Night". I need to replace the old Robertshaw thermostat, which controls gas furnace and air conditioner. I ordered Honeywell digital thermostat "Focuspro 5000 Non-Programmable Thermostat", and I want to use C wire to power the thermostat...
  17. JasonM

Identify Threaded or compression shut-off valve from photo?

I am a novice DIY in plumbing. I need to replace at least 30 years old shut-off value in the bathroom sink shut-off valve. I showed the attached photo to my friend who is good at plumbing and to one of the Home Depot staff. My friend said it is threaded, and HD staff said it is compression...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks