Search results

1. PatrickH

20 amp or 15 amp for common household receptacle use?

So use 180 volt amps per outlet. 10 outlets for a 15 amp circuit or 13 for a 20 amp circuit. This is slightly less than 80%. I don't imagine you have 13 outlets in each room do you? I use 12/2 for 20 amp circuits an 14/2 for 15 amp, so long as cable run is not too long for voltage drop. It's...
  2. PatrickH

Transformers! No, not the movie.

Lots of questions about your post. Firstly the house wiring should terminate to the transformer within a suitable electrical box. Many transformers have a 1/2 inch threaded end to facilitate mounting them to an electrical box. Is the an existing outlet in the vicinity that you might be able to...
  3. PatrickH

20 amp or 15 amp for common household receptacle use?

So I would study up on the national electric code for branch circuits prior to pulling cable. The number of circuits required is not dependent upon the number of rooms you have. Basically you have to be able to reach an outlet within six feet anywhere along the wall line. Bigger rooms require...
  4. PatrickH

Homeowner installing electric to hot tub

You should be careful about loading up the sub panel fed by the generator. It's likely size to accommodate the generator you have. Use watts= voltage * current to perform a sanity check on adding the circuit. You may be able to double up some of the single pole breakers in the main panel using...
  5. PatrickH

How can I add an outlet to a bathroom with no outlets?

amateurplumber... Where are you in the world?
  6. PatrickH

Oven neutral or not

You mentioned you were going to take out the sheetrock in the kitchen. Based on what you've said, I'd guess that there's a floor above? If so, then are there any second floor closets or interior walls above your kitchen that you could fish a new circuit to the attic through?
  7. PatrickH

Oven neutral or not

Sleepless, Installing new branch circuit for your new range can't be any more painful than considering all these options... How about a new gas range instead? ;)
  8. PatrickH

Name that gear game..

Don't know how I wound up commenting on this post. I thought I was commenting on the other enclosure.
  9. PatrickH

Name that gear game..

Ok I'll give it a WAG. Hmm? It's a 480 volt, 3 ph, forward and reverse motor controller? For an exhaust fan? Pump?
  10. PatrickH

Oven neutral or not

We don't distribute power the same as European Countries. In Europe 230 volts is from the conductor to ground (i.e. Neutral), as where here in the states, it's usually 240 volts between the two conductors, and 120 volts to ground. It really doesn't matter though. Appliance companies likely don't...
  11. PatrickH

Oven neutral or not

The exception to this is applicable to existing installations with no grounding conductor in the box. :(
  12. PatrickH

Distance From Meter to Disconnect

May want to check with whether the current service drop is large enough to accommodate your new panel. If not then you could install a new meter on the outside wall of the building opposite your new panel and install a new point of attachment above the meter. Get rid of the meter on the pole...
  13. PatrickH

Advice needed on handling issue with HVAC company. Misdiagnosed problem. Who pays?

Recommend you talk with the company representative and tell him that you believe that you should only have to pay for cleaning the condensate drain. If he pushes back to that then ask him why he believes you should be responsible for their mistake. Every company makes mistakes, and no one likes...
  14. PatrickH

New Basement Drains and Vents

So am I completely messed up in my thinking for this?
  15. PatrickH

Yet Another Garage Subpanel DIscussion

I'm not 100% positive, but I suspect that the 30 amp two pole breaker could be used in the new subpanel when you ready to make the big switch. Recommend you do this top down, beginning with the main electrical service. Be careful of shared neutrals if you add piggybacks. You can't share a...
  16. PatrickH

a single 3-way switch controlling a light fixture on a knob & tube circuit - why?

Wow! Knob and Tube! Brings back horrible memories! You mentioned that the two wires coming from the bottom of the box are hot. Did you disconnect them from the switch to read them. If it's a three way, the hot wire will feed one leg of the switch in one position, and the other leg of the switch...
  17. PatrickH

Transition from in-wall to outdoor EMT conduit options?

A 3/8" NMB connector will thread into a 1/2" LB. If this will not get you far enough into the wall, then you could use a short 1/2" ridged nipple, with a 1/2" coupling, and thread the 3/8" NMB connector to it.
  18. PatrickH

Converting Two Recessed Lights on a Single Switched Leg

Wow! I really hate remote controls for ceiling fans. Maybe, I've just had bad experiences with them. You could mount a stem mounted ceiling fan with pull chains, and leave the wiring as is. Does the switch have two white wires connected with a wire nut, and two black wires broken at the switch...
  19. PatrickH

Converting Two Recessed Lights on a Single Switched Leg

Wow! I really hate remote controls for ceiling fans. Maybe, I've just had bad experiences with them. You could mount a stem mounted ceiling fan with pull chains, and leave the wiring as is. Does the switch have two white wires connected with a wire nut, and two black wires broken at the switch...
  20. PatrickH

Yet Another Garage Subpanel DIscussion

Just a few thoughts. 1. May want to check with your county building code compliance department in order to determine their minimum requirements for an electrical service upgrade. Sometimes they require you to do things like upgrade your kitchen and bathroom circuits. Also ask about Arc fault...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks