Search results

1. Nezil

Possible HVAC Problem

I realise that this is not a DIY thing, though I was hoping to be able to at least diagnose the issues... The information that you've given me is very valuable. I should be able to take some temperature readings of the coils and see if they're freezing up. Thanks very much for the advice!
  2. Nezil

Possible HVAC Problem

That's interesting, though I don't think PG&E is offering credits on A/C or window tinting... The unit that I have is SEER 10, and is also R22 refrigerant, the labels on the outdoor unit state as such. It is therefore inefficient, even if it is working correctly. I have a feeling that I might...
  3. Nezil

Possible HVAC Problem

Thanks for the comments so far... I did realise that actually filling (and emptying) the system was likely to require some outside help, but was hoping mostly to diagnose the system myself so that I could be confident that what a professional was offering was a) going to address the issues that...
  4. Nezil

Possible HVAC Problem

I purchased my current home almost exactly a year ago. Come to think of it, it really was actually a year ago exactly today! During the initial purchase phase, I had the HVAC system checked because I felt having lived here for two and a half years (I purchased the rental property that I'd been...
  5. Nezil

Failed PRV

OK, so turning my attention to the tank while I wait for the PRV and Repair Kit to arrive... There is plenty of space above and around my water heater, but there isn't much space for additional piping where the cold water feed comes out of the wall - A photo illustrates this best (I'll take one...
  6. Nezil

Failed PRV

@DonL, I don't have an expansion tank, no. None of the properties in my development do, which I have to admit is strange. When I spoke with the local plumbing supplier here about it, they said that theoretically I should have an expansion tank, but many properties do not. If all 8 in our...
  7. Nezil

Softener finally installed, now for some setup questions

Thank you so much for your explanations @dittohead. Throughout this whole process, you've been extremely helpful indeed, and I feel that I now have a system where I haven't cut corners, and was able to make educated choices on installation and component choice. I am also some way to...
  8. Nezil

Softener sizing and installation questions

Yes @Reach4, I see no reason to change to another unit. At $210 it's expensive enough, and I don't think I will necessarily be in this house 10 years from now. I sent an email to 7 of the eight home owners today explaining the problem and advising that we all fix these valves. One of the owners...
  9. Nezil

@dittohead, thanks very much indeed. I can confirm that my BLFC is 0.25 GPM, and my DLFC is 3.5 GPM. Looking at your suggested changes, I will be saving 11 minutes x 3.5 = 38.5 Gallons per regeneration; not insignificant. I'll make the changes before the next cycle. Can you explain why...
  10. Nezil

OK, OK, I get the message. I will be fixing the problem, I just need to work out the most cost effective way to do that. You would recommend rebuilding rather than replace @dittohead? Costs are ~$65 and ~$210 respectively. I can't find any online information (videos or blogs) of anyone...
  11. Nezil

Failed PRV

@hj, the line to the left is the main water line that comes from the meter. That line is not reduced at all, it's 1-1/4", though I agree that the photo does look deceptive. The first branch (also 1-1/4"), with the failed PRV in series, goes to the home. It's actually branched again into a 1"...
  12. Nezil

Failed PRV

Thanks for the response Terry, the tape makes a little more sense now. I was thinking about rebuilding the PRV in situ, but that's probably not a good idea because it will be difficult to get to the back of it for access to the two caps located there. As I understand it, the top (input side)...
  13. Nezil

Failed PRV

I recently installed a softener at our home, and as part of this process decided to measure my water pressure. To cut a long story short, our 10 year old 1-1/4" Watts 25AUB-Z3 appears to have failed. The failure mode is that it is reducing pressure when water flows through it, but as soon as...
  14. Nezil

OK, I've done a little more research, and I think I understand the current situation re. my PRV. I noticed that the pressure at a hose bib after the PRV measures roughly 95 PSI static. This is the same as the pressure at the hose bib before the PRV. What's strange is that adjusting the PRV...
  15. Nezil

The fire sprinkler system does not have a pump at all, and the gauge appears to be functional, in that the pressure reading goes down when I open the test ball valve, though it may be giving a false reading of course. The main water line from the meter appears to go to first go to the outside...
  16. Nezil

No suggestions from anyone for B1, BD, B2 and RR? I'd rather not waste a huge amount of water for the regen if it's not necessary for my setup / supply.
  17. Nezil

Thanks for your comments Gary. I didn't think there was any 'plastic stuff' in the plumbing, but now that I think about it, It's probably a safe bet that there is plastic valves in several of the appliances around the home. If it was just a case of adding a pressure regulator valve, then I'd...
  18. Nezil

There is definitely a pressure relief on the hot water tank, but I believe this runs to the outside and I thought it never saw any action. I'm 99% sure that I don't have one of those pressure expansion tanks anywhere in our system. It is possible that the pressure relief valve is draining to...
  19. Nezil

I've not seen any pressure tank with my water heater, and I think I've looked everywhere that one would be in my home. Are you saying that if there is a pressure regulator currently installed, there should already be a pressure tank for the hot water?
  20. Nezil

And you don't think I'll notice the change in pressure at the faucet?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks