Search results

1. JustAHomeOwner

New bathroom venting questions - w diagram

Question: is it allowed if a vent extends up 6" above a sink, then turns down below the sink on its way to the vent stack?
  2. JustAHomeOwner

Another toilet venting question

On a pitched horizontal run , would it be OK venting with a Y turned roughly 70 degrees above the bottom and located 40" from the toilet flange?
  3. JustAHomeOwner

Will this toilet venting work?

on a properly pitched horizontal run is there a max distance from the toilet flange to the vent line?
  4. JustAHomeOwner

Is it easier to replace a garbage disposer or just reconnect plumbing?

hj, Geez. The lady said there's no switch, I've seen disposers that turn on when the drain is plugged AND I said "If there's no switch..." Actually I wasn't so worried about you working alone muscling one of those, a lady by herself? Kinda different IMO.
  5. JustAHomeOwner

Is it easier to replace a garbage disposer or just reconnect plumbing?

Susie, Couple of things for you to think about before you tackle this yourself. If there's no switch anywhere for that disposer then the wires going into it are always hot. Find and shut off the circuit breaker before attempting to disconnect the wires from the unit. The cable looks to be 3/8"...
  6. JustAHomeOwner

Mystery Pipes and adding a hose bib

FOR FREE? Really guy? Does it bug you that badly that you're not making money from spreading a bit of insight when asked on a forum for DIY advise? BTW - I've done many paid jobs for people of all sorts and I always answered any questions or concerns. Not to make it seem that I was smarter then...
  7. JustAHomeOwner

Mystery Pipes and adding a hose bib

hj, You've helped me out with the questions I've asked and I certainly do appreciate it and the time you've taken to do so. Us newbs to plumbing benefit from why something is or isn't correct so much more then "no. don't do that. Do this." Sometimes it's not as obvious to us as it is to you...
  8. JustAHomeOwner

Using PEX for first time, eye wash station

Stated pex size is 1/8" ID smaller. Running 1/2" pex is like 3/8" copper. Would there be enough pressure/volume available to your eyewash with 3/8" if someone or two was using a faucet or tub or whatever when you also need an eye wash? Just a WAG, bigger would be better.
  9. JustAHomeOwner

Could use some help figuring something out. Boiler

That's good to know for me going forward. I see what you mean with first hour ratings. It sort of reminds me of how my hot water heater actually works. Granted it's just two old folks, me, the wife and one stray son living here but we like lots of hot water. I installed a 75g. 75,000 BTU NG hot...
  10. JustAHomeOwner

Gentlemen. Thank you all for taking the time to go over this. Methinks I got it.
  11. JustAHomeOwner

a single 3-way switch controlling a light fixture on a knob & tube circuit - why?

I've done lots of 3 and 4 way switch installs, never owned or used a volt pen but I'm curious why you said that. Don't they work as intended?
  12. JustAHomeOwner

G'day All, My daughter and hubby have a 2 story home with one zone of hot water heat on each floor. There's no heat in the full basement. DHW is supplied with a indirect as a 3rd zone from a oil fired boiler. Using data from 12/9/13 to 4/21/14 they burned 544 gallons of fuel oil. HDD's for...
  13. JustAHomeOwner

a single 3-way switch controlling a light fixture on a knob & tube circuit - why?

A 3-way switch has one screw that's either a hot leg or a switch leg depending on where the feed is. The other 2 screws are the travelers that would normally connect to the travelers on the second 3-way. If you have one 3-way and the normal screw to the feed is always hot: with each alternating...
  14. JustAHomeOwner

As told to me by a very old plumber

(hope this is OK?) anyway... What's the difference between a plumbing inspector and God? God doesn't think he's a plumbing inspector.
  15. JustAHomeOwner

Sizing for a new boiler in Watertown, MA

I have a cape w/ 2 story extension off the back. Many years ago I split the first floor of the cape into 2 zones. Neither of them are large and one is rather small. But I can wire the 2 zone valves off of one thermostat and find out what the boiler run time becomes on a typical heating call...
  16. JustAHomeOwner

Looks like the cost of one of those exceeds what I can buy another boiler for and just swap it out.
  17. JustAHomeOwner

I'm reading about that on the Lochinvar site. Do they work as intended?
  18. JustAHomeOwner

Good info here. TY. I've abandoned the idea of toying with the boiler for obvious reasons but am still wondering what to do with the system I have. I can easily join 3 zone valves to the output of any of the 3 thermostats on my ground floor where I suspect the most frequent instances of short...
  19. JustAHomeOwner

Gas Line Question

In NY the code allows the use of proper flex (length and type) from a pipe run to an appliance that's indoors AFAIK. I can only tell you what I'd do. Remove the flex from the start of the run and the black pipe and connect from the stub-out w/ galvanized out to the BBQ. HTH
  20. JustAHomeOwner

Gas Line Question

Black pipe indoors, galvanized pipe outdoors is legal where I live. Is that black pipe running under your deck (outdoors) legal in GA?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks