Search results

1. Zenman

How many lights on a 15 amp breaker

Redoing the basement lighting circuit. Is there a code or general rule of thumb when it comes to how many lights can be put on a 15 amp circuit? I am familiar with how to convert between watts and amps. And I know how to figure out how many 100 watt bulbs can be on simultaneously before blowing...
  2. Zenman

plumbing over electric panel

Is there a restriction on how close the water supply lines can be to the electric service panel? Currently the water supply runs directly above the main panel and I'm doing some renovations and have to move the supply line. So when I replace the line, is there some minimum distance that I need...
  3. Zenman

Moving water supply line

I need to move the water supply line due to a 1st floor bath room layout change. So the first 20-30 feet of copper after the meter needs to be relocated. The supply is all copper, and this is a 1950's cape with 2 1/2 baths. What I need help with is calculating whether or not I need to up-size...
  4. Zenman

Top plate over header?

I am widening an opening between two rooms. Since this is a load bearing wall, I had an engineer spec out the beam above the opening. This is a fairly large beam (3.5 x 9.5 LVL) and it will come down quite a bit from the ceiling. The problem is that I have low ceilings to begin with (just under...
  5. Zenman

new half bath plumbing

I am look for some guidance with a half bath plumbing layout. This will be all new plumbing and tying in to the 4 inch sewer line in the basement. Also this is on the first floor and no plumbing will be tying in above this. In the diagram I put a cleanout in the vanity instead of the end-of-run...
  6. Zenman

sump pump PVC fittings

What type of PVC fittings are supposed to be used for a sump pump? Is it the regular DWV fittings or the ones that are rated for pressure - like the ones used for swimming pools? Thanks.
  7. Zenman

New subpanel?

In the near future I'm planning to add some electric to my soon-to-be workshop in the basement which is about 50 feet away from the main panel (new 200 amp panel). I have a bunch of toys... um... I mean tools. Your basic wood working tools plus an arc welder and my wife's kilns... They all run...
  8. Zenman

bathtub branch size question

I have a question regarding the branch size for the bathtub. I have researched it and have found conflicting information both in books and on this forum. I'm under UPC and in the state of NJ. Attached is a plumbing riser that I submitted to the inspector. On the second floor bathtub, there is...
  9. Zenman

bearing length of joist on wall

I am looking for the minimum bearing length for a 2x10 joist sitting on a load bearing wall. In order for me to fit the plumbing and have no flat venting, it looks like I need to cut a joist back. In the current plan, there is a 3" Tee on a 45 to allow for the toilet to connect to the rest of...
  10. Zenman

Tee on a 45?

Under UPC can you put a Tee on a 45? (see attached image) This is a toilet connection coming in on the side. Thanks in advance!
  11. Zenman

Cleanout required?

I'm planning a 2nd floor bathroom remodel. The tub, sink and toilet drains all are tied together (3" PVC) and go down to the basement. Once in the basement the drain will go from vertical to horizontal at the basement ceiling to clear the HVAC ductwork. At this point do I need a cleanout? (wye...
  12. Zenman

TOTO Promenade toilet review and comments

My wife and I just looked at Toto toilets at a local showroom and like the style of the Toto Promenade. However after reading some reviews, I see that there are better choices. When I spoke with the salesman he told me that the Toto Promenade would be coming out with new interal parts. Does any...
  13. Zenman

Cleanout fitting

I have a second story bath. The toilet will be flat vented, the wye is rolled up 45 degrees then straight back to the closest wall (1/4 inch per foot slope towards the drain). Once the vent goes vertical should I put in a cleanout? Under UPC I read that cleanouts are not required above the first...
  14. Zenman

PVC coupling

I need to cut into an existing 2 inch PVC pipe in order to put in a wye (drain line). This will then be concealed between the first and second floor. The problem is that there isn’t enough room (or give) in the existing pipe to slide on a coupling. I have seen the “no-stop†PVC...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks