Search results

1. Horseless Carriage

Korky 528 on Toto Drake 1.6 gallon starts and stops abruptly several times when filling tank

I followed the instructions and it worked. Thank you so much for your help!
  2. Horseless Carriage

Korky 528 on Toto Drake 1.6 gallon starts and stops abruptly several times when filling tank

I have 2 Toto Drake 1.6 gallon 2 piece toilets, and 1 that's 1.28 gallons, and all three have Korky 528 fill valves, though the 1.28 gallon toilet is so new that its fill valve is still a "Toto" 528 fill valve. Two of the toilets (one a 1.6 gallon, the other the 1.28 gallon) flush perfectly...
  3. Horseless Carriage

Replacing Toilet Water Valve, should I remove old ferrule and compression nut?

Also, in addition to my last question about sanding the pipe, is it recommended to replace the toilet water supply line with a new one, if the old one still seems to be working fine and doesn't look all that old? Or should I just leave the old one in place?
  4. Horseless Carriage

Ah, I see. So sanding the pipe clean when replacing a compression valve is just not necessary, or could it actually be harmful?
  5. Horseless Carriage

Sorry, could you tell me what you mean by "if they have the same thread"?
  6. Horseless Carriage

I think that must be true. The second gentleman I asked in the Plumbing department said that 1) You always have to remove the old ferrule and compression nut before you replace the toilet valve, and 2) the only possible way to do this is to cut off the pipe behind the ferrule. Were they at...
  7. Horseless Carriage

Thanks for your help guys. The gentleman at the Lowes plumbing desk was the one who said to always use tape on male threads. He showed me where on the valve to put it. I guess he was mistaken. I have 4 more valves to replace with the newfangled quarter-turn valves. Looks like I'll go about...
  8. Horseless Carriage

So yesterday I watched a Youtube video to learn how to replace a toilet water supply valve (getting rid of the old one with a new quarter-turn valve). I disconnected the toilet supply line, used two wrenches to unscrew the compression nut, then pulled out the old valve. I screwed in the new...
  9. Horseless Carriage

Hole in exterior wall where HVAC condensation line comes in. Seal with caulk?

I used the Gardner Bender Duct Seal Compound. I smushed it in there. I hope I didn't do anything fire hazardy.
  10. Horseless Carriage

Hole in exterior wall where HVAC condensation line comes in. Seal with caulk?

When the HVAC installers put in my new AC 2-3 years ago, it seems they left a hole in the exterior wall at ground level. We're getting some water coming into the house during heavy rainstorms, leaving the basement wet, and maybe this is one of the spots where it's getting in. How do I seal it...
  11. Horseless Carriage

Will replacing the fill valve on my toilet fix this wailing pipe sound?

Ok, I bought that part at Lowe's, and installed it. This was my first time doing any sort of serious maintenance on a toilet, so it was pretty hectic. With the new Korky 528 MP fill valve installed, the sound is 90-100% gone, like when the toilet's water supply was turned off. Hopefully it...
  12. Horseless Carriage

Are you referring to the step where you turn an adjuster dial clockwise or counter-clockwise, and mark the toilet with a pencil, so that the toilet bowl stops filling when it reaches the pencil mark? Steps 7 and 8 in the instruction booklet here...
  13. Horseless Carriage

I'm actually not very handy, and would be afraid of messing something up with the expansion tank by removing it. It's strapped in place, but when I do try and move it a few degrees, it does seem like I'm moving something that weighs 5lbs and not 40lbs. Does anyone have an opinion on my...
  14. Horseless Carriage

I wasn't sure whether the sound I was getting from knocking on it was indicative of it being full of air or water, so I took a video of it (please see above).
  15. Horseless Carriage

I don't have a water softener. Do you mean that the PRV they installed may be defective?
  16. Horseless Carriage

I do have an expansion tank. It was installed, along with a new water heater, 3 weeks before the new PRV was installed. I don't know much about expansion tanks, and can't really tell a good one from a bad one, and mine doesn't seem to have any holes to plug any sort of pressure gauges into...
  17. Horseless Carriage

Yes. If the water supply to the toilet is turned on, and it's been a long time since a flush, then I get the full noise whenever any faucet is turned on. If the water supply to the toilet is turned off, then I get perhaps 0 to 10% of that noise. It's not a noise that I only get when the...
  18. Horseless Carriage

So about 7 months ago, I posted this thread: Why are my pipes wailing?. I had a wailing pipe sound that would start up whenever someone would turn on a faucet. This wailing sound started a week after a new PRV was installed. It was resolved when a plumber came in and adjusted the PRV to...
  19. Horseless Carriage

Should I flush my new AO Smith GCV-50 water heater every 6-12 months?

I have a new AO Smith model GCV-50 natural gas water heater. It has a "Dynaclean Diffuser dip tube", which is advertised as "helps reduce lime and sediment buildup, maximizes hot water output. Made from longlasting PEX cross-linked polymer". It's shown here, on page 2...
  20. Horseless Carriage

Why are my pipes wailing?

This problem has now been fixed, it seems for good. A new plumber from the same company that installed the PRV came out and adjusted it, and now the sound in the pipes is gone. He disconnected my clothes washing machine hose to the cold water line, and instead screwed on my water pressure...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks