Search results

1. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thanks. I will fix this when I decide to sell the house. :)
  2. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thanks - the tempering valve is out altogether. The hot water in the tank gets up to 125 degrees - not like the 150 degrees the old peerless produced. Simplified things.
  3. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thank you Reach - I will do this.
  4. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Here is what the installation looks like finished. The pump on the right side drives a hot water recirculating loop. This is plugged into a remote control operated outlet (outside the picture) which can be turned on and off from the bathroom with the remote. It is the most efficient way I could...
  5. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

I sit on the front stoop and cry like a little girl.
  6. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Tom - you are correct :) I will post the picture of what it looks after things were cleaned up. This picture was pretty much at a state where it enabled the kids to take showers. Dana - on your question - I had to have it shipped to NH. They have a decent distribution network in the NorthWest...
  7. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Just a quick update: Installed a 66 gal Airgenerate Airtap water heater over the weekend. Turned the oil boiler for the summer. First impressions - it is as quiet as advertised (which was the reason to get it - it is next to a sleeping space). I will post some data on electrical consumption...
  8. onelostsoul

Fujitsu mini split question

I am researching mini splits for a retrofit on my house (located in New Hampshire). Fujitsu makes a low temperature mini split. I liked the specs on these. The nomenclature on the compressor - outdoor - units is AOU9RLS2H, AOU12RLS2H, AOU15RLS2H. These are all single head units. My...
  9. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thanks for playing though. I really appreciate your time.
  10. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Interesting thought. I had completely ignored the electric boiler option because it is the most expensive one. However when we are looking at a backup, it becomes viable. Then my replacement scenario looks like this: Regarding the mixed mini-split/ small mod-con solution - here is the...
  11. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thanks for chiming in Badger (and the rest of the group as well). Regarding pellets: There are these guys one town over. Given the population density here, I am probably one degree of separation from the owner :) Not sure how I would work the pellet storage. The topology of the lot may get...
  12. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

In my neck of the woods, business is really brisk on the solar front. I think we have hit the sweet spot in terms of price (coupled with the emergency rate increase the Liberty just managed to get approved). We are decisively under the $3 threshold.
  13. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thank you Dana. I appreciate the advice. The problem with solar where I am is that I am in the shade of the forest that my house backs up to. The analysis says - I lose 50% of production to shading as things stand. Currently I can take down 4 trees closer to my house and solve the immediate...
  14. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thank you for your thoughts Tom. Here is how my problem looks from an operating standpoint currently: We all stare at our crystal ball and try to predict the future. Domestic oil production may rise resulting in a drop in price of heating oil. Or - as Dana argues - ubiquitous solar...
  15. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

Thanks Dana. I concur that oil is a dead end. Here is the Manual J calculation for my place - room by room with installed capacity for reference: The current boiler is over 3X oversized and so is the installed baseboard. Experience bears this out. The office heats up very quickly. I can...
  16. onelostsoul

Heat Pump water heater recommendations

There are a number of integrated (hybrid) water heaters that may be suitable for your situation. If noise is a concern, you should research this guy - http://www.airgenerate.com/ Quiet comes at a premium though - there are some cheaper alternatives - GE makes a model which is locally produced...
  17. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

I am working on the manual J. It takes a while to gather all the data for a New England house that has been added on for about 150 years :) After reading what the regulars had to say on the subject of high-mass/ low-mass radiation, I think that for a condensing boiler to work, I will need to...
  18. onelostsoul

I am inHanover NH - not too bad as the crow flies but a pretty long drive as the car huffs and...

I am inHanover NH - not too bad as the crow flies but a pretty long drive as the car huffs and puffs over the mountains.
  19. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

You know - I had a System 2000 in my previous house. It worked quite well and reliably. Isn't new technology better though? Condensing, modulating, curve-resetting Harry Potter thing-o-magic? Technological advances and all that?
  20. onelostsoul

Hydronic system overhaul

I have been lurking here just as a way to educate myself. Thank you all for providing all this wealth of information for us laymen. I live in an old house in New Hampshire which is heated with methods and equipment more suitable to the 1960s than to the 2010s. The primary heat system is an...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks