Search results

1. dedalus

mixing the mud

My question was specifically about Laticrete 3701. If anyone has mixed it I'd like to know if I can mix it by hand in a bucket, or do I need a paddle. Ordinary sand/cement mix I could obviously mix it any way which. I need to know if 3701 is HARDER to mix. Thanks guys.
  2. dedalus

mixing the mud

Before I get cracking on my shower install I need some advice on mixing the mud. I was planning to use Laticrete 3701. My floor is 900 x 900 mm = 0.81 sq m. Laticrete 3701 specs say you get 0.3 m2 at 50 mm depth per bag. And since my depth at the drain lip will be 38mm, I'm figuring on an...
  3. dedalus

tiling shower floor in seperate sections

I was originally going to use a pro to do my shower reno, but when the 2 quotes came in at completely opposite sides of the ballpark ($350 and $10,000, not even including a plumber), I thought "hold on .. bit of a variation there", and so I decided a good idea would be to go back to watching...
  4. dedalus

I think John's katwyk-style drain is a brilliant idea if it's placed right near one of the walls so you don't have to stand over it. So I'm going to move my p-trap about 300 mm back towards the back wall, and then install a 100mm square grate over it. After waterproofing, I'll tile the floor...
  5. dedalus

Thanks for some great ideas here. Information on 4-plane tile installing is hard to come by. Jadnashua, I'm taking heed of your advice re doing the mud bed in sections. I'll do a single pour. By the way, your drawing is what I had in mind. Reach4, your second drawing is something like what...
  6. dedalus

I'm starting my shower install next week (14 April), and since I couldn't get any quotes from installers, I'm going to try this myself. As an alternative to a linear drain, I was considering using the existing drain position and putting in a 100 mm square tile-insert drain grate, and using...
  7. dedalus

Laticrete Linear Drain install

Thanks so much for that link, John. It contains some great tips and a good overview of waterproofing to Australian standards. From my reading of it, hydro ban must be a class 3 polyurethane liquid membrane. Is this correct? Assuming so, information in one of the articles in that link confirms...
  8. dedalus

Linear shower drain gap

In preparing to install a flangeless linear drain myself, I've been mulling this exact issue. My understanding is that you need the LD outlet to fit into a puddle flange. The waterproofing membrane is applied over the tile substrate and into and over the lip of the puddle flange. This flange...
  9. dedalus

John, I'm just a DIYer, albeit a fairly experienced one. This is my first shower renovation. I'm basically trying to follow instructions from Laticrete data sheets. I'm employing a licensed installer to help me on the project. I'm not really sure how the guys do this stuff over here, not being...
  10. dedalus

Thanks to all who replied to my original post. It's been most helpful. I think I have the waterproofing sorted, and I'm now down to choosing a suitable linear drain. The prices for linear drains here in Australia vary a lot. I'm guessing they do over your way also. I believe the 2 main...
  11. dedalus

I'm presuming that the floorboards will be protected from any interaction with the morter bed by both a sheet of fibre cement board nailed to the floor, and covered with the polethylene sheet.
  12. dedalus

John, I looked at the ACO drain drawings and from what I can tell, it seems that it utilises a seperate drainage (puddle) flange. "Connect an appropriately sized drainage flange to the pipework. ... After the screed has cured, the waterproof membrane is then applied to the screed and continued...
  13. dedalus

Thanks all for your comments folks. They've helped clarify my concerns. What I've decided to do is join the outlet pipe from the drain to the waste pipe before placing the supporting morter bed under the drain. I'll carefully ensure that the height from the flange to the floor (which will be...
  14. dedalus

Hi all, This is my first post here, so bear with me. I’m planning my shower reno and intend to install a Laticrete linear drain. I’ve read up on all the Laticrete data sheets, but still have a couple of questions. The Laticrete install video shows the drain being set on the morter...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks