Search results

1. Uellee

Periodic Filtration Bypass to "Cleanse" household plumbing?

95% of my plumbing is PVC w/ CPVC for hot water Sounds good except for the chlorinated water straight to the softener. Is this really ok? I am assuming only for a short period of time (maybe one day) because I was under the impression that chlorine isn't very good for the softener media. When...
  2. Uellee

Periodic Filtration Bypass to "Cleanse" household plumbing?

Is there a reasonable benefit to bypassing my GAC filter and softener for a period of time on some regular interval in order to use the chlorine in the city water to "clean" my household plumbing? I live in southern Louisiana with a large amount of my plumbing exposed to the outside...
  3. Uellee

What type of GAC do I use and how much?

Thank you for your feedback! I got really busy with work last spring and through the summer but now that the holidays are all over I'm back to putting a filtration plan into action. I have had a problem with most of the local filtration companies I have spoken with, their prices just seem so...
  4. Uellee

Planning a DIY whole home filtration system

So last year's planning was met with an abundance of work that halted my progress on getting any filtration in place and I am just now getting back on track with this stuff. Last year my experience with local filtration "experts" was all through high pressure sales and what I thought were...
  5. Uellee

Release of filter bed media into household plumbing possibilty

Thank you both for your help but I think this thread is a bit off track at this point. Both of you sound very knowledgeable but I don't think these off-subject back and forth comments are really too helpful for those of us who are seeking good solid information on here. This thread topic is...
  6. Uellee

... but probably completely unnecessary in my case?
  7. Uellee

No chloramine here, looks like coconut shell carbon is probably the way to go. I have read that some companies even add a small amount of KDF-55 to GAC filters: "Widely used for reduction of free chlorine and heavy metals. Adds life to carbon filters, serves as a mild bacteriostatic agent to...
  8. Uellee

I appreciate your good information but as a solution I doubt I can automatically assume good quality automatically comes with a higher price in all cases. Maybe I need to look into each component that makes up the system (not regularly published) prior to purchase. By default I don't place...
  9. Uellee

I have read a few different places where people have had failures (or possibly incorrect installations, not sure which) that have allowed their softening media to escape into their household plumbing. Is there any reasonable chance of this happening with correct installation that would...
  10. Uellee

Thank you Lifespeed. I that is good information on softener sizing. I am looking at a whole house carbon filter too. Would you offer any suggestions for sizing there? It looks like that will potentially be my limiting factor as their flow rates are so painfully low.
  11. Uellee

Does anyone have any good information on this subject?
  12. Uellee

Is there a significant difference between synthetic/catalytic carbon and high activity activated carbon? I have seen a few different types of carbon for whole home water filtration and I am curious how to know which one to use for what. I understand that GAC usually only allows about 3GPM...
  13. Uellee

Is there any reason I should see about getting the 10% resin rather than the 8% or a Vortech tank? I see those options available but don't know if it is necessary for my situation. Because of my low consumption and hardness (currently only about 4,000 gal./month and 6 grains) I was...
  14. Uellee

I think I figured out where my confusion was. You had mentioned "Upflow" and "Downflow" and I mistakenly took that to mean upstream and downstream but now I realize that you were probably talking about the direction of water flow through the GAC. Upflow would push the granules against gravity...
  15. Uellee

Either I am a bit confused or I may have some mixed suggestions about the order of the filters. At this point the first filter for incoming water is a 32k grain softener with a Fleck 5600 SXT followed by a 1.5 cu ft GAC filter and a second Fleck 5600 SXT with no additional inline filters...
  16. Uellee

I paid them an office visit this morning and feel that I have some better results. I spoke with the system manager and he gave me some good information as well as the sampling report from a range of sample taps in January of this year. According to the January 2014 report- Iron is all...
  17. Uellee

Those two pieces of equipment will probably run me about $500 each? Do you know what order people generally put them in and do you use any sort of a simple filter for larger debris ahead of the rest of the filtering system?
  18. Uellee

We are interested in a whole house filter primarily to remove chlorine and hardness. From what I understand by removing those two items we will potentially be removing many other unknown and probably mostly unwanted components from our water supply.
  19. Uellee

Thank you Dittohead. Here is what my municipality has online. http://www.vpwwd1.com/documents/98/CCR_2012.pdf It is a bit out of date and doesn't look like it provides much of the information I am looking for so I will be inquiring further for specific details and I will post the results...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks