Search results

1. Shopco

Water heater install (California)

14 years I installed the water heater using copper pipe (no flex line) to dielectric unions installed on the water heater. When I attempted to replace the water heater the unions were welded together. They came away from the heater ok but would not disassemble as designed; I had to cut the...
  2. Shopco

Water heater install (CA)

14 years ago I installed the water heater using copper pipe (no flex line) to dielectric unions installed on the water heater. When I attempted to replace the water heater the unions were welded together. They came away from the heater ok but would not disassemble as designed; I had to cut the...
  3. Shopco

Make-up air

I want to build a fresh air duct into my house. It would have two purposes; one is to slightly pressurize the house with filtered air and the other is to provide make-up air for my range’s exhaust hood and the bathroom exhaust fan. My main question here is what type of fan(s) should I...
  4. Shopco

what color is softener resin

Before I connected my water softener I decided to empty it out. It was shipped to me and I wanted to make sure the distribution tube was properly seated as well as to determine whether or not there was any gravel in it. To my surprise the media was black (they are round beads - not GAC). I...
  5. Shopco

Methods for removing particulates

My filtration objective, over and above protecting the coil, is to reduce/eliminate dust. I have been advised that there are better ways of doing this than installing high MERV filters. Can someone tell me what those ways are?
  6. Shopco

Fliter changes

Is it possible to quantify the state of my HVAC filter using a manometer?
  7. Shopco

Water noise

We recently re-plumbed our 1,000sf. house with 1†copper and are experiencing a lot of water noise. The noise is not from hammer but is the sound of rushing water when it is flowing. The worst offender is the front hose bib (ball valve) when it is partially turned on. The noise goes away...
  8. Shopco

Don’t like GAC used as sediment filter

I know from previous experience that a sediment filter at my house point of entry will collect a fair amount of rust and silt. I now want to install a backwashing GAC filter. It seems to me that rust and silt are heavier than the 20x50 mesh GAC so how could they be backwashed out without also...
  9. Shopco

Regeneration Flow Rate

What is the proper backwashing flow rate for a GAC filter? The filter is a 3cf, 14â€x65†tank and I am using 20x50 mesh GAC. Should I use the distributor from Ohio Pure Water (1½ Inch Commercial Hub and Lateral Distributors (D717807)...
  10. Shopco

Backwashing GAC filter

I am putting together a back-washing Granulated Activated Carbon filter. The mineral tank measures 14â€x65†and will contain 3.5 cu. ft. of GAC. I am thinking of using a Fleck 2510 valve/backwash controller and am wondering the gpm should be for proper back-washing. I am not sure if this is...
  11. Shopco

Fleck 2850

Is the Fleck 2850 suitable for a GAC backwashing filter? I was thinking about picking up a used one for that purpose but when I checked the on-line manuals (for possible repair costs) they seem to indicate that it is softener valve, not a filter valve. I understand that filter valves are...
  12. Shopco

Another question about RO membrane flow rates

Trying here to substitute logic for knowledge. Assume flow meters on concentrate and permeate. If I open the concentrate valve fully then I assume there would be little to no permeate flow. As the concentrate valve is closed permeate flow would begin, so it would seem that the permeate...
  13. Shopco

RO membrane question about flow rates

I hope this is the right place to post this; I did not see a forum for RO. I am going to be using an RO membrane rated for 25 gpd (77° / 50 psi). After temperature correction the flow rate works out to 20 gpd @ 50psi but I will be running at 100 psi. The only pressure correction chart I...
  14. Shopco

I don't understand back-washing a GAC filter

Since carbon works through adsorption what good will back-washing it do? It makes sense if it is also used as a sediment filter or maybe to prevent channeling but otherwise I don't get it. What am I missing?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks