Search results

1. jdsilver

Drain Embedded in Concrete Slab in Condo Complex

Ah yes, I didn't mention it above but the branch line was 2" at the vent pipe union. The hard part was reaching that union since it was about a foot into the wall and blocked by a bunch of metal framing. He merely had to switch the 1'5" pipe out to 2" at the vent pipe. Reaching it while not...
  2. jdsilver

And for $650 he got the pipe switched out from a 1.5" to a 2" and it only took him and his buddy an hour. I probably could've shopped around for someone a little cheaper (since all the demolition work was already done) but the previous guy quoted us $1400. So $650 sounded incredibly reasonable...
  3. jdsilver

Story continues: the drain still needed to be switched to a 2" for a shower. The vent pipe was inside the wall about 1.5 feet so we couldn't access it from the bathroom. We had to go to the other side and open a hole in the floor in the closet to get to the pipe union. Still not able to reach...
  4. jdsilver

Update if you're interested. We demolished the concrete base. The exposed wood subfloor in the previous photos were key in figuring out that the concrete was only about 1.5 inches thick (and therefore, not post-stressed. Using a hammer drill and roto-hammer, we drilled a few holes and used a...
  5. jdsilver

Oh and would you recommend this to be done when the new shower or tub gets put in too? If so, is it just a simple or of concrete for the tub or shower to situate on? Thanks a bunch Terry!
  6. jdsilver

Terry, how hard is this to demolish? Does it require a jackhammer since it's only a 1.5" pour?
  7. jdsilver

Thanks for the picture Terry! This is exactly what I wanted to see. I'm gaining hope that my floor isn't post-tension as originally thought. And I just found a small hint that there might be a wood surface only 1" below the concrete, similar to what your photo showed. I moved some of the...
  8. jdsilver

That's an amazing sketch! Thanks for this! That pipe riser that goes through the floor is pretty much what I had in mind. I just didn't know if there'd be another platform below the pipe before my neighbor's ceiling. From what your diagram shows, and from your past experience in Vegas, it sounds...
  9. jdsilver

Thank you guys for the advice. Yes, it would make the most sense if I could get a downstairs neighbor to let me take apart one of their recessed lights. I am pretty sure there's a layer of insulation that we'd have to cut through too to get any kind of visual of it. Sounds like a sticky...
  10. jdsilver

Thanks for the replies, guys. You're right, I do not know if the floors are post-tension or not. The entire bldg is earthquake retrofit (see the metal studs in the pictures) so I'm guessing that post-tension would be the best way to build the floors. I'm wondering if the post-tension slab...
  11. jdsilver

Hello, My first post. Thanks in advance for all your time. I am in the process of changing a bathtub into a shower. Ripped out the pre-fabbed fiber-glass tub and surround, and found the drain pipe is embedded in concrete. First of all, I discovered that showers should be outfitted with a 2"...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks