Search results

1. snokel

Sump pump question

Correct, no vent, just one pipe that discharges the water out of the house and into sewer. and the cover of the crock is bolted and silicone sealed shut, so when it fills with water there has to be a lot of compression of the air in the crock.
  2. snokel

Sump pump question

Hi, I had a radon system installed and they sealed my sump pump crock, it seems to work well, but there is no vent pipe, it just goes straight out . How is it able to function being sealed? When it fills with water isn't the air the crock compressed? I have been reading other threads about...
  3. snokel

$850++ Electric bill for Brooklyn 3bd - HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Sounds like the wires where loose on the working outlet that fed the next ones down the circuit. They just don't stop working out of the blue. 850 seems a bit high but in NY who knows :-) You should really contact the electric company and see what the deal is.
  4. snokel

AFCI breaker (in Wisconsin) needed for dedicated light circuit?

I did talk to the inspector and they are required for lighting circuits. This is a fairly new requirement in WISC from what I can gather as my house was built in 2012 and there is a couple of light circuits that do not have AFCI which the inspector said are grandfathered in unless I want to...
  5. snokel

Good lord, is there some kind of trick to working with PVC?

no trick, it's super easy to work with until you get to the really big pipe sizes. You don't even have to have the ends perfectly square. After you put the glue on both the fitting and the pipe just push in as far as it will go and hold for about 15 seconds and that should do it. If you just...
  6. snokel

AFCI breaker (in Wisconsin) needed for dedicated light circuit?

Does anyone know if arc fault breakers are required on dedicated light circuits in Wiscconsin? Reason I ask is my house was built in 2012 and none of the dedicated light circuits have AFCI breakers but al the outlets that are not GFCI protected do. I have a can light circuit in the basement that...
  7. snokel

Pressure treated 2x4s for shower curb a no no?

Been doing a bit of research and everyone seems to say not to use PT lumber for the shower curb over concrete(in a basement) however after having several very heavy and wet PT pieces sit for a couple of months along with standard KD lumber (has the KD stamp) the standard KD has warped and...
  8. snokel

is 90 short sweep elbow allowed going down vert to horz?

Just a fyi, I don't think Wisc goes by this but: the IPC is one of the few plumbing codes that recognizes the use of short pattern 90-degree fittings for a horizontal change in direction on fixture drains 2 inches in diameter and smaller.
  9. snokel

ok, so if my flow is going from horz to down vertical I can use the medium sweep 90, but if the flow is going straight down vertical then horizontal I can't use the medium sweep 90. (yes I meant a medium sweep not a vent 90) Is a long sweep 90 with the street end ok to use? Only reason...
  10. snokel

I have a 2inch pipe dropping vertical down wall to basement and I need to run it horizontal after the vertical drop is a short sweep allowed in this case as gravity gives the elbow a bit more velocity? It will go horizontal through a joist to a 3 inch pipe with a wye.
  11. snokel

Cutting concrete around basement shower drain? Best way?

Won't I get zapped if I use the saw wet? I was thinking the grinder as I have a dust shroud for that.
  12. snokel

Would this cable run down face of beam to wall (under beam)be up to code (Wisc)?

Good news it all passed. The inspector said as long as I never finish the walls in the utility room I was good to go.
  13. snokel

Cutting concrete around basement shower drain? Best way?

Hi, My builder put the rough in for the shower and they didn't put a small square form around the pipe when they poured the basement floor, Why on earth they didn't take the 5 minutes to do that I will never know, but anyways I need to cut out around it so I can install the PVC shower drain...
  14. snokel

Would this cable run down face of beam to wall (under beam)be up to code (Wisc)?

I have a wall framed under a glulam beam and in order to get wire to the outlet box I ran wire from breaker panel through floor joists and then down the unfinished side and into the wall. So it runs from the first floor joists down the unfinshied face of the beam in the unfinished utility area...
  15. snokel

Bedroom 8% natural light requirement? Can someone explain?

I emailed the building inspector and he siad I would have to prove the light from the adjoining area would reach the area, my reply was the code does not specify a distance or state that the adjoining area must meet the 8% rule. We shall see, if he says no, then I am just going to call it a...
  16. snokel

Basement insulation question

it should be OK as the form a drain seems to work really well even during super heavy rains, spring of 2013 we go 7+ inches of rain in a few days and never had a drop of water, sump pump ran almost all the time though :-)
  17. snokel

Thanks Dana. Here is the wisc code, it does not have the exceptions the IRC has: SPS 321.05  Natural light and natural ventilation. (1)  Natural light. All habitable rooms shall be provided with natural light by means of glazed openings. The area of the glazed openings shall be at least 8% of...
  18. snokel

Basement insulation question

"If you use open cell foam against the foundation you risk saturating the foam with ground moisture, unless there was a metal or EPDM capillary break installed between the footing & foundtation wall." I don't think I will have that issue as the vapor barrior under the slab extends over the...
  19. snokel

I am framing my basement and my building inspector approved my permit but said my existing egress windows the builder installed must provide 8% of the square footage of the bedroom for the natural light requirement. Since the windows are already in place and I think they are 48x36 sliders, and...
  20. snokel

Best way to frame concrete half wall in daylight partial exposure basement?

Dana, Do you mean sealing under the cap where the concrete meets the treated 2x8? There is a sill seal on the 2x6 stud wall that sits on the concrete 1/2 wall. I asked the building inspector if sill seal was required for the 3 inches of concrete covered by the 2x8 but he said it's not needed...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks