Search results

1. David Meiland

Grohe volume control... plastic linkage tube

Wonder if many of you out there have had problems with this setup. Last year built a house with two showers, both have Talia level handles and 29 273 rough-in valves. There are a couple of plastic parts that link the valve to the lever, the problem part being the inner one, which is a black...
  2. David Meiland

A tiny bit of rust in a new CI tub

The plumber is dealing with Kohler on it, and he seems to feel a new tub is the right call. How good would a patch or repair on a tub like this be? And, what are the chances that where there's one problem there's more? Maybe I ought to have the owner fill the tub and leave it a couple of days.
  3. David Meiland

A tiny bit of rust in a new CI tub

Tub is a Kohler Maestro cast iron drop-in, white. It sat outside my plumber's shop for a month or so in its crate, then we moved it to the job where it was inside, uncrated, and in perfect condition--I checked it carefully (I'm the GC). We installed it by lowering with an air bag due to a tight...
  4. David Meiland

Kohler K839 "Maestro" tub--opinions?

A customer of mine has tentatively selected this tub. It's a cast iron tub and goes for about $850, which seems fairly low to me, although I am a GC and don't deal directly with a lot of fixture prices. Anyone have experience with this item? Is it well-finished? Hate to frame for it, rough in...
  5. David Meiland

Kohler lav cartridges... slow leaks?

Thanks Leo. I am going to get new carts... but the faucet itself was new 2 months ago. Sometimes "laying on the hands" works for no apparent reason.
  6. David Meiland

Feel like I'm getting taken advantage of.....

The plumber should be able to find the leak all by himself. He should disconnect the meter, disconnect all of the appliances, cap the stubouts, and attach a gauge to the system somewhere so that he can pressurize the sytem with compressed air. Then he can go around and spray each joint and see...
  7. David Meiland

Kohler lav cartridges... slow leaks?

We recently did a bath remodel and the lav faucet seems to have a very slow drip (so slow it's almost not happening, but the drain stopper is wet, and there is usually a drip hanging from the aerator). This appears to be from both the hot and cold sides, which I checked by shutting off one angle...
  8. David Meiland

Precast shower pans

I have a client that is interested in a precast shower pan. She saw something on the east coast while traveling there but was not able to name it. I have used Florestone terrazzo shower pans a few times but they are not readily available here in the northwest--they are made in CA and the...
  9. David Meiland

Pump runs but there's no demand

We have a 150' well with a submersible pump. Occasionally the pump runs when there's no water running anywhere on the system. After much head-scratching I've come to the conclusion that there must be a check valve down inside the well, and that the pressure tank is forcing some water back thru...
  10. David Meiland

Inspection report - Plumbing

Now that my curiousity's up, I got down my copy of the 2003 IRC and see that P2803.6.1 states that: "....The discharge from the relief valve shall be piped full-size separately to the floor, to the outside of the building, or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building. In areas...
  11. David Meiland

Inspection report - Plumbing

I'm guessing you have the water heater in the basement, and that the PRV terminates at or near a floor drain? I doubt it has/had anything to do with your drain being slow... especially if the vent valve solved it. Here in crawl space country we all have water heaters above grade, usually in...
  12. David Meiland

Metal straps on ABS pipe?

These would generally be used where the pipe is vertical and against a stud. I have the correct hangers for running underfloor.
  13. David Meiland

Connecting sewer ejector to gravity lines

I have a shop building about 40 feet from the house. When I poured the concrete I installed a Liberty sewer ejector that will handle the drain from the one bathroom. There is 2" ABS piping buried that runs from the pump to the house. I tunneled under the house foundation near the front porch...
  14. David Meiland

Metal straps on ABS pipe?

I bought a couple of boxes of 2" and 3" C-shaped pipe straps from Keller. When I opened them they turned out to be galv steel. I'm going to be running ABS drains and am not sure that metal straps are OK on plastic pipe. The salesman I buy from is generally right on as far as what he sends out to...
  15. David Meiland

Sediment in water

Thanks for the great replies, gentlemen. I'll be able to get some water to the lab within a couple of weeks. The only signs of 'scale' I have noticed are some whitish stains on the pinholes on the shower head. There does not seem to be reduction in flow anywhere in the house, and the kitchen...
  16. David Meiland

Sediment in water

Before I say anything else, let me say that I know I need to get the water tested and will do so. It's geographically inconvenient and therefore has not happened yet. Anyway, we are on a well that produces plenty of good water. However, it appears to have a fair amount of sediment in it. I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks