Search results

1. TheLex

Ugh - Contractor tells me he is unable to install my expensive Hansgrohe Citterio tub spout

Mark, the other side of wall behind the tub spout is a stand up shower. So either we pull the tile off the shower wall or the tub wall. Not an easy solution. Ugh.
  2. TheLex

Ugh - Contractor tells me he is unable to install my expensive Hansgrohe Citterio tub spout

The problem is this guy's contract was written in a very general and nebulous manner. Instead of stating exactly what fixtures would be used, he just states "install plumbing fixtures that customer purchases". If he's going to be that general and then on top of that he charges me a big change...
  3. TheLex

Thanks for the replies. I was told that the problem with the Sharkbite fitting is it won't prevent the tub spout from rotating if one turns it. There isn't much tile that we can chip away to get access as the flange around the spout is very small, as you can see in the photo of the spout. What...
  4. TheLex

He goes to put on the tub spout and tells me it won't fit because it's "not standard". What do you mean not standard? He tells me that "standard" tub spouts like Delta have a set screw that locks the spout and its rubber grommet against the copper pipe. Hansgrohe it appears, uses a threaded...
  5. TheLex

Considering tankless water heater...anything I should look out for based on my situat

I thoght I'd chime in with an issue regarding tankless water heaters, their warranties and how a recirculation system affects them. On most tankless units the warranty on the heat exchanger is something lie 13 years or longer. However, if you carefully look at their language, their use with a...
  6. TheLex

Tankless in parallel

I'm no plumbing expert but I am facing a similar situation right now. We are remodeling a 4300 sq ft single story rancher. Our temps get up to 110F in the summer and down to 25F in the winter. All water heaters (WH's) do the same thing - they take the incoming ground temperature water and...
  7. TheLex

Solution for 4300 sq ft rancher 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, 4 adults, triplet boys

The WH's will be in the "bump out shack". I would think that this shack would be insulated to some degree but I have not asked yet. If they are not, will the WH's use more gas to keep the water hot due to heat loss? Should I have WH blankets wrapping them? The recirc line will most likely...
  8. TheLex

I like the idea of installing the WH's in series so that we have a full 150 gal reserve. And then the two could potentially make over 160GPH at a 90F rise. That would be way more capacity that we'll ever use probably. The "shack" is not going to be some cheap thing. Actually we already have a...
  9. TheLex

Yep, we're going with two of these bad boy 75 gal Bradford White's: http://www.bradfordwhite.com/high-input-atmospheric-vent-models These things will deliver 82 GPH at a 90F rise. That's quite impressive and just about as good as a Vertex but with less complexity. We're going to build a...
  10. TheLex

You're absolutely correct. Our contractor recommended a recirculation line with a pump. We'll be using insulated aquapex so decrease the water temp dropoff. In fact he recommended we place one hot water tank on each side of the house (over 100 ft wide) and have separate tanks serving each...
  11. TheLex

Water meter inlet sizing and how it affects WH tank output

Got it. That makes sense. The run from the street to the backflow device is fairly short (about 30ft or so). I have no control over that. But from the backflow device at the lot line to the water meter by the house is at least 120 ft and it has been suggested I run at least 1 1/4 if not 1 1/2...
  12. TheLex

The distance from the new main 8" line to the backflow device and regulator is about 30 feet. The distance from that point to the water meter is quite a ways - about 120 ft or more. I suppose we could run a 1 to 1 1/2 " line from the regulator/backflow device to the water meter, but at the end...
  13. TheLex

Our community is having all the water mains replaced. They are woefully undersized at 4" so they're digging up the streets and going to a 8" line. As part of this project, they're running new service to each house in the community. They're also installing water meters. Previously no one was...
  14. TheLex

I found two Bradford White WH's that may work besides the expensive AO Smith Vertex 100: #1 is a 75 gal plain ol' atmospheric vent model - 76k btu and it has a 82 GPH recovery at a 90 F rise: http://s3.pexsupply.com/product_files/M-I-75S6BN-Product.pdf #2 is a 55 gal atmospheric vent high...
  15. TheLex

Bosch Confort S II 13

Most manuals are available on the manufacturer's website in pdf format.
  16. TheLex

Tankless water heater takes forever to supply hot water at faucets

So what are you saying? That if I got with two 100k btu Vertex 100's or a couple of Bradford White 75 gal 76k btu tank units, that I'd have $16 more in gas bills a month than a couple of 199k btu Tankless water heaters? But then I'd have no cold water sandwich and I'd save about $6k...
  17. TheLex

Yeah, and it's 1/4 the cost as well. My only concern is the recovery of these units at 80% efficiency is much lower.
  18. TheLex

Dana, I love the idea of the drainwater heat exhanger but this is a single story ranch home that is over 100' wide and it has no basement to speak of. And because we're converting the area that houses the existing single water heater into living space. So there's nowhere to install the heat...
  19. TheLex

Update: My contractor likes the idea of the two Vertex 100's. He says to put one unit on each side of the house so that each unit supplies half of the house. He also said that to save money I might be able to get by with the 75 gal Bradford White M-I-75S6BN 76,000 BTU High Input Atmospheric...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks