Search results

1. Scup

Help with choice of Heating/ Cooling equipment for Southern New England

Thanks Dana, Actually, maybe I was really unfair to the contractor who visited me, since when he looked over my existing heating system, he threw in so many options at me, which I suspected was just suggestions, with ball park figures and with no mention of specific named products. The...
  2. Scup

The first tank I had was an in ground tank. It never leaked, but like the lady you mentioned, I did not wish to fool around with it. The professionals came and did do a good job in getting it out of there. Actually they got it out in less than hour and a couple strong men just carried it out...
  3. Scup

Thanks Jim, I sort of figured that was the case. I finally got through to a couple of suppliers of dual fiberglass oil tanks. Other than a kid with a 22, they should do their job long after I am gone. None gave me a price, not even a list price. Got the usual are you a licensed heating...
  4. Scup

Sounds like good advice to me, but do not bet on us not using the air conditioner. Two long power outages lasting a week or more, both occurring because of Irene and Sandy, convinced us that while summer time outages are more of pain to deal with, rather than an emergency, we do rely heavily on...
  5. Scup

Being stuck inside, as of right now a blizzard is just finishing up most if its nasty stuff and is starting to taper down, I have read very carefully all the previous posts. My old wood furnace has been keeping us quite comfortable, even though it was/is blizzard like conditions outside. The...
  6. Scup

I am really getting at odds with what I would like to have and what I can afford. As Dana seemed to guess, my home is probably not all that bad for a 35 year old home as it was originally designed for electric (resistance) heating, which was never installed since at that time, oil could deliver...
  7. Scup

What make/model box is this? Is it even a main or is it a sub panel?

Thanks guys for the explanations, as everything said makes good sense to me; I only responded out of curiosity. What may be a very stupid question, is I just could not even imagine how this could have happened in the first place? Where I live, a neighbor saw me digging a small hole with shovel...
  8. Scup

What make/model box is this? Is it even a main or is it a sub panel?

I am definitely not an electrical contractor, so my opinion is not worth beans, but I do not understand how you would not have a main breaker. Even for an old house, at some point way back when, a building inspector would have had to come in to inspect the electrical wiring. What the code was...
  9. Scup

Tom, there is something about your writings and honesty that makes me wish we were neighbors. I did not understand the installation would run on the strong side of 20 grand as the contractor I spoke to quote a figure of around 8 grand, but I am sure we are comparing apples and oranges. He did...
  10. Scup

Thanks again Dana, although I was up all last night playing around with the Webtool calculator. I still do not have its proper use down pat. One thing about being an engineer trying to understand an area quite removed from his field of expertise is I am quickly learning HVAC is far more...
  11. Scup

Not a question for Dana, as I have already been picking his brain far greater than is polite, to say the least. This post is for readers like me, who never even heard the term HRV. I Google it and got 10,000,000 hits. There are ample descriptions as to how they work, why you should have them...
  12. Scup

I cannot remember if there is poly or not on the inner side of the rafters. If there is a problem it has not surfaced. However, I do not know what I should be looking for? The overhang extends from 4' to 2' since it is tapered. Unless there has been say a failed pex fitting, there never...
  13. Scup

Question for anyone! Question for anyone! I understand the need to have a well sealed home as that will ease and improve the heating and cooling loads. In addition, there could be a host of other problems that are either alleviated or introduced depending on how it is done. I am not...
  14. Scup

Dana, My house is a modified A frame, modified simply means the pitch of the roof is a 45 degree slope, and never drops to anywhere near ground level. You are right in how it was constructed with 6" studs for the exterior wall and filled with insulation of R19. Being an A frame with no attic...
  15. Scup

Thanks Jim and Dana, You have me feeling almost embarrassed that you would have spent so much time on a complete stranger in answering so many questions and in such detail. While I do have a strong technical background, I tend to be a slow but exacting reader when adsorbing technical...
  16. Scup

Humidifier Bypass Duct Placement Help Needed

LLigetfa mentioned things that I have never even heard of! I did note he is from Canada and it does not surprised me that Canada would have issued far more code than here in Connecticut. Someone in CT can go into Preston Trading Post, purchase a very nice wood stove, bring it home, install it...
  17. Scup

I understand that heat pumps become more and more inefficient as the temperature differential drops say from 68 degrees in one's home to something above freezing. At an outside temperature of say 50 degrees, they will transfer more BTUs per hour into your home than the equivalent wattage they...
  18. Scup

Humidifier Bypass Duct Placement Help Needed

I am a newbie here and do not know squat, but that is not going to stop me from putting in my two cents. Warm air can contain more water in its gaseous state than cold air. That same warm air if contained will have water condense out of it if cooled or brought outside say where it is cold...
  19. Scup

I had reasoned that since all the duck work is in place I would go with a central heating system. Unfortunately, I have called a licensed contractor, and while I cannot say he is not trustworthy, I am concerned since I have not needed much in the way contracting over the years, and when I have...
  20. Scup

Being a newbie to this site, I quickly became overwhelmed with the core knowledge of this form, and how quickly members are willing to offer their experienced advice on various subjects. No question about it, I would be a fool not take advantage of this free but very valuable service. I am 75...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks