Search results

1. stardog

Correct glue for ENT and PVC connection

Using a standard PVC coupling I will be connecting 1/2" ENT flexible tubing to 1/2" schedule 40 PVC. I plan on using plain Oatey gray PVC solvent to do so. I presume this would be the correct solvent for this application? If not, then which solvent should I use? I need to connect the two for...
  2. stardog

PVC flexible pipe and NEC

I have a short run in the attic where I plan to run PVC flexible pipe. I have 1" solid PVC conduit running from the panel box into the soffit, but due to the steep roof angle I am unable to continue the solid conduit to the nearby jbox, a distance of maybe 18". To protect the exposed THWN 12...
  3. stardog

Removing items from a circuit

A light, light switch, and outlet in our second bath is on the same 15 amp circuit that includes ceiling lights and several other outlets in two adjacent rooms. What is the best way to remove the bath electrical items from this circuit, but yet ensure that everything else remains properly...
  4. stardog

Cutting power to a subpanel

Just a very general question for information purposes. I had a 100 amp subpanel installed to our detached garage a couple of years ago. To cut off all power to the subpanel in order to replace or add a circuit breaker, is it best to flip the main breaker in the main service panel at the house...
  5. stardog

Insulation in shower

I have a small shower, approx 3'x5', that I plan on redoing. Basically tearing out the walls and installing new backerboard, and then Redguarding everything and installing new ceramic tile. Two sides of the shower are on exterior walls, and the exterior wall is brick veneer. My question is...
  6. stardog

How to separate connected light fixtures

Our house was built in 1960. There is one single pole switch in the kitchen that controls two fixtures: the main ceiling light/fan combo, and also a pendant light over the kitchen sink. Flipping the switch turns both lights on and off. I want to separate the pendant light from the main...
  7. stardog

Using THWN inside conduit

Our electrical panel box is installed on the exterior brick veneer wall of our house. I am having our electrician add an extra 20 amp branch circuit to the panel to feed 3 new receptacles in the kitchen area, the first of which will be GFCI-AFI protected, which in turn will protect the other...
  8. stardog

GFCI help

I am in the process of upgrading ungrounded receptacles in our house. The house was built in 1962. I have already upgraded one circuit by installing a GFCI-AFI receptacle in the first outlet from the panel, then replacing the remaining 2-prong receptacles with 3-prong (and adding the required...
  9. stardog

Re: Proper connections for multiple receptacles

This is really a "wiring 101" type question, but I've always been curious about this. When wiring together on the same circuit multiple standard (non-GFCI) receptacles, does it matter the order in which the hot and neutral wires are connected to each receptacle. Obviously, hot goes to the...
  10. stardog

Extending a grounded circuit

I wish to install a small pendant light, controlled via switch, above the kitchen sink. This will be a new install, since there is no light there now. There is a grounded receptacle on the wall nearby in the same general vicinity where I would like the switch to be. Would it be permissable to...
  11. stardog

Replacing a 2-gang switch with a 3-gang switch

Our kitchen has a two-gang switch on the wall along the kitchen counter. One switch controls the dishwsher and the other the garbage disposal, obviously on the same circuit. I want to add a switch controlled lighting pendant over the sink. Couldn't I just replace the two-gang switch with a...
  12. stardog

Drain question re: new shower surround install

I plan on replacing the old tiled shower (no bathtub) in our second bath with a shower surround kit. The drain in the current shower is slightly offset to the right, rather than centered in the middle of the shower floor. I notice that most of the shower "kits" have the hole already cut out in...
  13. stardog

Wiring clarification for recessed LED lights

Our home was built in the early 1960's and consequently still has much of the old wiring (2-prong receptacles, not 12-2 or 14-2 conduit as is used today). All of it is still in good shape. Over the years I have been able to upgrade some of the circuits to current code as I complete various...
  14. stardog

Replacing gas hot water question

Our 40 gallon gas hot water heater sprung an internal leak last night. The unit is well over 10 years old so repair is likely not an option at this point. I want to replace it with a 30-40 gallon tank since it's an older home and only two of us live there. I know pricing questions are sort...
  15. stardog

Help with toilet flange

I removed the old toilet this afternoon and will be replacing it with a new one tomorrow. However, the old toilet flange stayed attached to the bottom of the toilet and for the life of me I have no idea how the previous homeowner attached this toilet to the floor. What I am looking at right...
  16. stardog

Moving gas water heater

I have a gas water heater just inside the rear door of the house, inside a small alcove. To make this space more useful and efficient I would like to move the water heater approx. 5 feet to the opposing wall of the alcove. It obviously won't be any issue extending the water lines to the new...
  17. stardog

Appropriate shower curb on concrete floor

I will soon be re-doing a small standup shower. I will be installing a new preslope, liner, and top bed, as well as installing new backerboard. When it comes to the curb, I am still unsure how to approach this. The house is built on a concrete slab, so I am not sure the best method for...
  18. stardog

Estimate to replace shower bed and liner

I have a small shower stall in the second bathroom with a floor that measures approx. 32" x 24." Due to its age it needs to have the mud bed removed and replaced, along with a new shower liner installed. Can anyone offer an approximation of what this may cost? Everything else I can do...
  19. stardog

Wax ring installation process

I had to pull the toilet in order to complete the installation of ceramic tile on the bathroom floor. I installed a spacer over the steel flange to ensure the flange sits on top of the new floor's surface. Now I am ready to reinstall the toilet. My question is this: Do I attach the new wax...
  20. stardog

Toilet flange issue

Yesterday I removed the toilet in our second bath so I could complete the installation of ceramic tile around the toilet drain. As I began the process of removing the two anchor bolts so I could clean debris and old wax from the original steel flange prior to installing two additional plastic...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks