Search results

1. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

that's a good point. I usually just go to Sears Hardware and buy 4/5 bags at a time for like 20 something bucks but if you add up what it costs in a year, it's not insignificant. Today I'm scheduling the install for next week. Thank you to all who have contributed, this is a very helpful site.
  2. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

It is a metered unit, and that was my thinking as well - I don't want to throw another $500 at this again in the next few years. I got 20 years out of it, I think it's time. Thanks
  3. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

Not sure which way to go - I'm not doing this myself and have a quote from the water company. Estimated quote for a new brine valve, replacement of resin, and replacement/repair of piston and seals (if needed since I mentioned that the piston blew a few years ago) is ~$450-500. Hopefully...
  4. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

Thanks guys - I knew this salt usage was abnormal. I will call for a visit and would like to revisit the resin discussion again. Given this is good equipment with serviceable parts, it sounds like changing out the resin may make sense to prolong the service of this system. As mentioned...
  5. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

what problems do a sticking brine valve cause? From a quick search it appears that there may be more water in the salt tank than required. I have noticed the water line is higher, more than 1/3 up the tank. The last time the company came out they drew a line on the tank where the water...
  6. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

thanks guys, nice to know this is good stuff even if it's 20 years old. I have to pull the receipt but i do remember it not being cheap back in 1993. If the brine valve is stuck open do I need to get that fixed?
  7. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

Here's a couple pics of my control valve. I just added 80 lbs. of salt as I usually keep it around half full, let's see how long it takes before the salt hits the water line in the tank and I need to add more.
  8. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

LOL. no attitude here! I'm just a newb that wasn't aware you guys enjoy arguing with each other and don't discriminate where you do it!
  9. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

not to be an ingrate guys but can you please take your lead content fight anywhere else but on my thread! :)
  10. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

Gary, I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about on this subject, but I was under the impression that if the resin was used up/depleted you don't get the same ion exchange, making the unit regenerate more than it otherwise would. If that's wrong, please let me know. I know I'm definitely...
  11. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

Don't think this is something I'd tackle myself. I don't believe the valve needs to be rebuilt now after the last repair, it seems to be working fine and I'm just using more salt. Believe the quote was $300 or so to replace the resin. The tech didn't outright say to buy a new one, but gave...
  12. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

more info after some research. I think it's a Fleck control valve as it looks very similar to this Model 2510 - http://www.hydrotechwater.com/PDF/Manuals/Fleck/Fleck%202510.pdf Also to clarify the prior repair I believe they said the piston blew.
  13. rfreda

Repair of replace advice

I've got an Electrasoft water softener that is 20 years old. Was problem free other than the valve was replaced/rebuilt a few years ago, the tech said the valve blew. It regenerates based on actual usage, not a scheduled timer. It's using more salt as the resin must be depleted after all this...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks