Search results

1. Murphy625

Well Head Cap Help

I need to put a well cap on my well and can't figure out which one will fit. Its a 4 inch pipe (4-1/2 Outside Diameter) but that coupler in the middle sticks up about two inches and all the caps I see are fairly flat on top. Any suggestions? See photo.
  2. Murphy625

Please recommend a new furnace

My friend just had his furnace die. Its a Bryant 350mav model and the heat exchanger corroded. That furnace has been a pain in the butt every single year he's owned it. 4 out of 5 years it would burn out the hot surface ignitor, once we had to replace the main control board, then his fan...
  3. Murphy625

Powered Anodes???

Hi folks, I had started another thread about my water heater sending gritty black particles to my faucets and discovered it was in fact the anode corroding away. I pulled the anode and cut it off to temporarily stop the problem. Now I need to replace it with something before I bust a $500...
  4. Murphy625

Black Water w/particulates - hot side only - well

Hi folks, I'm experiencing a bit of an annoying issue in my country home. We've been having problems with black stuff showing up on our dishes from the dishwasher. It is now appearing in pots and pans when we boil things. My diagnosis says its coming from only the hot water side. We used...
  5. Murphy625

Any use SDT dies in a Ridgid machine?

Hi, My pipe threading machine needs a new set of dies in the 1/2-3/4 inch range. A quick look around and I find that the Ridgid replacement dies cost about $100 new.. There is a company called SDT that sells replacement dies to fit the Ridgid machine die head and I'm suspicious of the quality...
  6. Murphy625

Underground Natural Gas Piping?

Hi folks, I'm converting a portable generator to run on natural gas. I need to tap into my gas line in my home, run the line through the basement wall and then underground for about 25 feet. From there, the line will need to go vertical and rise above the ground level to around 16 to 24...
  7. Murphy625

Power Vent fresh air mixing intake question...

My 50 gallon Power Vent water heater has a fan on top that sucks in room air and mixes it with the hot exhaust gases before sending the mixture down the pvc pipe to the outdoors. When the unit is not running, I can feel hot air coming from the fresh air intake port. This port has the same...
  8. Murphy625

50gal Power Vent turns on at the slightest use of water????

I just installed a Kenmore 153.332050 (50 gallon Natgas power vent) water heater in my basement. After a couple of weeks of use, I have incrementally lowered the temperature setting all the way down to its lowest point.. After that, it goes into vacation mode.. We still have plenty of...
  9. Murphy625

How effective are heat traps?

Anyone have an opinion on installing heat traps on water heaters? Are they worth the extra effort and cost or just an over hyped extra thing that does very little?
  10. Murphy625

Nat Gas Safety Shut Off??

Hi all, I have a question about the valves used on residential natural gas lines. It would seem that every residential home I have ever been in has these little red-handled gas valves in front of every appliance connection point. They look like this...
  11. Murphy625

Propane Hose as Water Line?

I have a supply of industrial propane hose that has a 1 inch ID and is rated at 350 PSI... This is the kind of stuff the propane trucks carry to fill up residential propane tanks. Its a thick rubber (epdm?) hose with a nylon braid for reinforcement. If I were to bury this stuff 4 feet into...
  12. Murphy625

Culligan Mrk89 not enough water in brine tank.

About 6 months ago I changed out our brine tank with a spare clean one I had. The brine tank has been giving me issues ever since. It doesn't seem to want to fill up with enough water at the end of the cycle and each time the softener draws water from the brine tank, it ends up sucking in...
  13. Murphy625

Thermostat question.. Heat Ok, Cooling way off...

I have a Honeywell round thermostat that looks like a manual mercury type but is in fact electronic. I think its a CT87N. Anyhow.. when the thermostat is set to heat the house, it turns the heater on at about 2 degrees below set point and off at about 1 deg above the set point. However, when...
  14. Murphy625

Water Heater Vent Location? Am I an idiot?

Reading the manual for my power vent, it says: The venting system shall terminate at least 4 feet (1.2 m) below, 4 feet (1.2 m) horizontally from or, 12 in. (30 cm) above any door, window or gravity air inlet into any building. Does this mean it must be 4 feet below AND 4 feet...
  15. Murphy625

Water Heater Power Vent questions

Hi Folks, I bought a 50 gallon power vent water heater for my home to replace the expensive electric unit. 2 questions: 1) What are my options for terminating the PVC vent? I think an ugly pvc pipe sticking out my side wall next to my porch is going to be an eyesore and I'm wondering...
  16. Murphy625

Stuck tub drain fitting!!

My rental has a tub and shower that is leaking at the tub drain. It seems that somehow the brass elbow drain fitting has a crack in it or something. Anyhow, I took the pipe off but I can't get the piece that screws in through the top of the tub into the elbow below out. Its like the brass...
  17. Murphy625

How are water heaters rated???? Very confusing..

Hi, I just picked up a 50gal Kenmore 153.332050 water heater.. It is technically pre-owned but was never hooked up, still had all the pipe plugs installed. I think it was tipped over because it has a 4 inch wide dent in the sheet metal on one side at the top and a small crack in the power...
  18. Murphy625

Venting a Power Vent water heater??

So after a bit of research, it would seem that I'm going to go with a power vent water heater.. I'll probably buy a used unit on craigslist or something... It would seem that I only need to extend my gas line in the basement, re-route some copper pipe, and knock a hole through the brick for a...
  19. Murphy625

Replacing electric with NG.... need some advice..

My ranch style home in the country with well water has a 40 gallon electric water heater. Even though we have a special "reduced rate" electric meter for it, it still costs north of $30 to $40 a month to run it. I'm tired of the high cost and want to switch to a gas unit... I'd go tankless...
  20. Murphy625

Culligan Mark 89 question. Brine not filling with enough water..

HI all, This is my first post. I have a Culligan Mark 89 and I recently swapped out the brine tank with a newer one. The old one was dirty and the bottom screen broken and cracked up pretty good. The new tank was cleaned, the valve was taken apart and cleaned and checked. I am...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks