Search results

1. Jayw

Redgard for tiled shower? Waterproof...

I am at the stage where my shower floor is ready for tile. Couple questions: 1. Do I have to seal the bottom edge where Duroc meets floor with mesh tape? 2. Wht do I use for sealing joints? Same thinset used to set tile? 3. I have vapour barrier on walls and PVC pan liner... Can / should I...
  2. Jayw

Toliet waste backing up.

Here is the vent in shower line heading to toliet. When the cheater vent is not on, the trap in the shower does not move at all when the toliet is flushed. When the vent is on, it siphons shower drain. Why is that? Can I leave the vent off?
  3. Jayw

Toliet waste backing up.

Thks mike. So to properly vent the shower, a tee would be put in the floor line, and go up wall ( above sink height ) and then go around wall and tie into 3 inch stack that vents through roof?
  4. Jayw

Toliet waste backing up.

thks jim. its 3inch and slopes down. the sink was clogged but I don't think it extended all the way to the main drain but I could be wrong. based on diagram if everything was to be redone could I use existing shower drain to keep tile etc intact? just start fresh from shower say mid way...
  5. Jayw

Toliet waste backing up.

Thks all for the replys. I will look into getting line cleaned. Mike what does fixing it properly look like? Just want to know what iam up against. In the diagram I gave, where would vents go? I have no idea and I wouldn't tackle it myself but just curious to know. thks
  6. Jayw

Toliet waste backing up.

Attached is diagram for existing bathroom ( as best I can remember, its been 20 yrs ) Problem i'am having is that some of the toilet waste is draining to shower trap. Toilet is new with a good flush but has inner closet flange ( not sure if that is a cause ) I will crack basement floor to fix...
  7. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Flushing the toilet causes the trap in the shower to gurgle. Would it be due to a stronger flush with new toilet?
  8. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

The shower and sink don't have vents. It was never a problem before with the old toliet but since I put this one on it is back flowing to shower. At the time it was done 20 yrs ago i was told ( by a diy'er not a licenced plumber... First mistake!!!) the shower could tie into the toilet ( 1 1/2...
  9. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Well finally got back to project after busy summer...secured inner flange to tile, bought a kohler cimarron, installed fine, good flush but then trouble. I have the shower pipe exposed ( cause thats next job ) and when I flushed toliet, waste water came out shower pipe...Iam not a plumber but...
  10. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Took Terry's advise and simply cut the flange off ( 4 inch grinder on a down ward slice too pipe ) pulled off in small sections and put in inner flange, fit no prob to tile. Iam an over thinker to the max. Lol Hope the smaller diameter is ok ... going to buy toilet with jet engine flush...
  11. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

How deep is the seat of the flange on the pipe? 1/2inch? Will the inside cutter go through pipe then flange then bite into concrete a bit to pull glued assemble out??? Never used one... Then chisel moat then Iam back to what I should have been ? And if cutter doesn't work will dremel with...
  12. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

I took another pic from side view but Iam on i phone and not sure how to upload. But the flange is not on the tile surface nor anchored ( 1/2 inch gap on high side 1/4 inch on low side ) and it seems there is room around pipe ( or at least i can cut a bit of tile once flange lip is gone to...
  13. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

After cutting could I not chisel around pipe to give me clearance for a regular outside fit flange? How much distance or rather depth is needed to seat flange?
  14. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Got it 3" .... So I would cut the pipe roughly the distance it is high? It's higher on one side so I assume I have to cut at the lowest distance and shim the diff? With a smaller opening Iam also assuming I look for a kick ass flush toilet?
  15. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

whats the best method to cut it off? not sure best how to get in there, do i have the room. heres a pic sorry novice here! lol
  16. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Ahh plexiglass, good call. Time to go see my buddy's at the hockey rink to get some used plastic boards or glass and my wood working buddy to jig it up and get his bits ready! Lol Man, lot easier to do it right in the first place than going through this monkey business! Oh well, try and...
  17. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Sorry wjc, I see what u mean. I rechecked and if I use 1/2 inch plywood or something else 1/2 inch it will come half way up flange on low side and come to bottom of flange on high side. Reason i have to do this is because flange is too high from bottom of tiled floor, so my toilet rocks on...
  18. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Or the corian or dura rock ?
  19. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

Yes the bottom of it is above finished floor ... About 5/16 on the low side and 5/8 on the high side ... And Iam talking from bottom of flange to finished tile floor. So if I put a piece of 5/8 or 1/2 plywood over tile floor ( in shape of bottom of bowl ) and cut out flange circle the top of...
  20. Jayw

Toilet flange dilemma

New to site. Great info. I have a high and out of level, unsecured flange over slightly unlevelled finished basement tiled floor. Wow lol I would prefer not to raise floor because i dont have tile to replace. And flange is glued and embedded in concrete. If I cut a piece of 5/8 inch...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks