Search results

1. Jdavis37

Toto Promenade II - UltraMax II performance

Thanks Terry. The added height makes sense.... though I was surprised to see the 1 piece Carlyle II and Promenade II were both rated at > 1000 whilst most of the UltraMax IIs were rated at > 500. May be semantics or simple nothingburgers. I am not adverse to a 2 piece toilet... is all In have...
  2. Jdavis37

Toto Promenade II - UltraMax II performance

I have searched through the threads here but after a while I feel like I am getting red marks on my butt from all the sitting and toilet reading! So thought I would ask a direct question.... I do understand MAP scores are a number and do not necessarily represent more than a single benchmark...
  3. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

I wanted to post a follow up with first thanking everybody who posted here. It was helpful. We had 3 solid quotes from plumbers I felt were more than competent. The prices were also fairly consistent between them (I don't shop for lowest price but do like to see some consistency). The cheapest...
  4. Jdavis37

Mixing Valves - How effective are they?

Thanks Terry. With our aging and soon to be replaced water heater, I have had to turn the WH thermostat up greatly in order to fill the tub (during winter when inlet water temp is between 50 and 55 degrees on average). Now I wonder how much more effective it would have been to have installed a...
  5. Jdavis37

Mixing Valves - How effective are they?

I have another thread I started with regard to our water heater questions, and once we finalize our decision and installation I'll finish it out. This is a 25th hour question so here goes. Mixing valves (with selectable thermostatic controls). Do they really extend the amount of hot water...
  6. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Understand. Was looking at that as a reference point to what we currently have as well as having the ability to not wait as long between a bath and shower. Once we run out of hot water now it is well north of an hour before we have nicely hot water again. Can be frustrating when tub is filled...
  7. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Yes to pressure reducing.... tiz it. Was a long while back and I fear aging is not always kind to memory. I do hope at least one of the 2 who shows up is knowledgeable and has good ideas. I know more than 50% of who showed up for our HVAC work were simply BAD. But I have seen that with every...
  8. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Mark, It might seem like we are back at square 1 but I actually feel better now than I did when I asked the question. Knowledge is important and I do believe I have gained some of that here. The first plumber I contacted gave a quick hard sell on tankless without first asking about the...
  9. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and also for having kept things very helpful and civil. Many forums fail to do either of the latter. I have contacted 3 plumbers and have arranged a visit for one. I have learned a lot via this thread (enough to be dangerous I...
  10. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

I had a difficult time finding installers who would take the time to measure heat loads per room, etc. I only found 2 who did and only one who did the full calculations. I did dig into my paperwork and discovered I lied a bit. The measured leak rate came out at 1.6% when things were finished...
  11. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

I did take a quick look at b vent ratings for BTUs (appliance attached). From what I can easily tell it seems 58K would work with some probability 60K BTU might work (In need to measure length of my current b vent). If so the 4 to 3 inch converter would work. Not only are the water heaters...
  12. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Thanks. I was fine with power vent (sort of).. I dislike having to have a power vent versus atmospheric as it is another part to fail. Blower fails, no hot water. But it is what it is. Unfortunately for me I saw on this and other forums many complaints about the blower noise and without having...
  13. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Thanks Mark, I am starting to remember why I backed away from this the last time when I should have installed the 4 inch b vent (but it would have created delays and bathroom remodels at the time were very far behind schedule). I really could not go for a 90 degree turn folowed by a 7+ foot...
  14. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Thanks. The Rheem sheets list new whisper quiet blower fan but nothing about decibels I can find. I had seen several complaints about loudness but also realize that is subjective. The water heater is directly below this room but off to the right hand corner. Stereo would easily block any noise...
  15. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

I am curious though as to how loud the blowers are on either the Rheem or AO Smith. While the water heater will be in my garage, our main entertainment room is the room over the garage. Is impossible to gauge how loud anything is by watching a video but some subjective feedback is appreicated.
  16. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Our home has a brick front and rest is siding. Last year we decided enough was enough and replaced all the siding and trim with hardie. I will admit to learning a lot about Hardie and the 160 or so pages of installation requirements if you ever expect half a chance of navigating a warranty...
  17. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Not to turn this into an HVAC design thread, I did have 3 different competent installers measure things out with heat load and the vice versa. it is a 2 stage system and runs much of the time in the lower stage. When we drop in single digits that changes. Either way our gas bills dropped and the...
  18. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Agree.... service/parts are a concern anytime I look at things built by smaller companies. They may be great products but if the company is not set up to service after the sale, or they go bankrupt, etc. one may own an expensive throw away item. I worry less about parts, etc when the purchase...
  19. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

I must be getting old :) That's actually purty! I have resisted the power vent for so long I lost objectivity. I have clung to our atmospheric vent mostly due to passive means nothing will break. But once I get past that and accept a hole in side of garage, going with this is no doubt the...
  20. Jdavis37

Water Heater Choices

Thanks Mark, After reading specs and then various comments on here, the Vertex is not currently at top of my list. It costs more than either the Rheem or the Smith 75 gallon units, and seems to have a reputation here at least of being problematic. My current water heater is a fairly low end 50...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks