Search results

1. Lordoftheflies

Shower Faucet Identification Please

Need to help a neighbor replace his escutcheons in his shower. Had a plumber quote him $1800. Hm. Sounds a bit high. Wondering if anyone can identify them easily. Thank you in advance.
  2. Lordoftheflies

Grout creeping out of shower drain?

Hi. I am posting for my neighbor who has a shower stall on the first floor. He has the same exact house as me (1947 Cape Cod) and probably has all the problems I had. He said he noticed that the shower drain has this weird white substance that appears to be climbing OUT of the drain up against...
  3. Lordoftheflies

1947 Cape Cod Attic Insulation Advice Needed

Hello, I am in the midst of a complete bathroom gut on the top floor and have everything down to the studs. I'm actually at the point where I'm about to close up the walls..... So the problem is the insulation (and the overall workmanship in this house) is terrible. Most of the walls have a...
  4. Lordoftheflies

Best way to plumb 2-way diverter and mixing valve for shower/tub?

Hi. Wondering if you all could offer suggestions as to how to plumb my shower/tub combo. I have the Kohler 2971-k-na 3/4" inlet and outlet mixing valve. I'll be bringing up 1" PEX to the 2nd floor the entire way from the 3/4" copper main. This unit does not have a built in diverter and has...
  5. Lordoftheflies

Garden hose galvanic corrosion

(Tagging you here @quarterball since I'll be purchasing one of your sillcocks.) I was wondering what you (and anybody else) thought about connecting a garden hose that has aluminum fittings to a brass sillcock. I was concerned about galvanic corrosion so I think to avoid that problem I'll...
  6. Lordoftheflies

Bathtub vent and drain questions

Hello, Been a while since I posted but I figured I'd post and make sure before I proceed any further. This is the 2nd (top) floor bathroom in a cape cod. Doing the drain and vent for my 32" x 66" bathtub. There's two joists butt up against the drain since the original framing was done for a...
  7. Lordoftheflies

Cutting and capping 1/2" brass water pipe

This is more of a sharing of what I just learned. Since I am re-doing the bathroom upstairs, I need to keep the 1st floor bathroom up and running. I have my water lines sticking right out of the middle of the floor (since I removed a wall and made the bathroom bigger) and of course they are...
  8. Lordoftheflies

70 gallon tub. Need advice on shower/tub controls

I have been searching high and low for the perfect shower/tub control trim/valve for my high volume 70 gallon Hydrosystems Sydney 66"x 32"x 22" tub. It seems nearly impossible for me to find the following: Things I want: Pressure balanced valve Single handle High flow (i.e...
  9. Lordoftheflies

Need help not sure if I screwed up

Need a little help please. In the middle of replumbing the 2nd floor bath......... Along the same wall will be the bath, toilet, and vanity. 4x2 pvc sanitary tee for the bath is lowest on the stack. Above it is a 4x3 sanitary tee for the toilet. Above that is where I think I screwed up - I...
  10. Lordoftheflies

WTF is this!

Ok in what universe is this ok? I mean how cheap can you be? I cannot believe the idiocy I am seeing as I am remodeling my two bathrooms. Saved a few bucks there didn't they?? Oh this is a load bearing exterior wall. Yay!
  11. Lordoftheflies

A/C Condensate Drain Piping Flood

So my mother called me up and said she had a flood seeping into the closet next to the boiler/ac room. I went there and saw no visible puddle. It was like 83 degrees in the 10 year old apartment building in harlem so I turned on the A/C. Checked the boiler to see if it was popping the PRV but...
  12. Lordoftheflies

Complete bathroom remodel

Hello, Wifey said she smelled nastiness in the upstairs bathroom and I also noticed a foul smell yesterday. Well lo and behold there was no wax ring! WTF! Bought the house 11 years ago so it's at least that old. I have a Toto washlet on the toilet at the moment so I am going to stick with a...
  13. Lordoftheflies

Critique - Comments/Suggestions on Shower Valve

So I removed a Riobel shower valve that kept leaking and causing some serious damage to the ceiling below. The client had four different plumbers try and "fix" it to no avail. After having repaired the sheetrock after the initial leak and repair, they wanted me to remove it and install another...
  14. Lordoftheflies

What causes brass piping to disintegrate like this?

Went to replace a faucet....and the angle valve flew off after loosening the nut on the faucet side. Damn maid was there doing laundry so she asked not to shut off the water and stupid me listened. Luckily was able to run down and shut the water and minimize the damage......... But what causes...
  15. Lordoftheflies

What is this?

This is sticking out from the wall in a closet on an extension of a friend's house. Looks like bx coming into it and its not an outlet. Looks like a black wire is spliced into it. The wall used to be the exterior of the house. Is it some sort of antenna splice or cable TV? All I have is the...
  16. Lordoftheflies

Washing machine lint trap

Hello. I have an Electrolux front loading HE washing machine that has no lint filter that can be cleaned as far as I know. It drains directly into the adjacent laundry sink in the basement. I experimentated the other day and put a sink strainer in the sink and after one load of 3 old cotton...
  17. Lordoftheflies

White stains and rust on copper pipes

Going to do a job remodeling a 30-year old house on well water. They want to install a walkin tub for the wife who can't climb the stairs and lives on the first floor. I'm the project manager/gc and it's a remote job. Will be traveling so I will have to find a local plumber to do the work. I...
  18. Lordoftheflies

How illegal is this? Vented gas fixtures

I was doing electrical work today and saw this. Advised the homeowner he should get an HVAC and/or plumber out asap to vent every unit directly to the outside with its own vent. This is just a disaster waiting to happen (and quite illegal), isn't it? Not to mention the lack of tape at most of...
  19. Lordoftheflies

Floodsafe hoses

So I've read about how terrible Floodsafe hoses are. My question is, what's to prevent a "regular" stainless steel braided hose from busting? This happened to me yesterday - came home, opened the door and the house felt like a steam room. Crazy hissing from the kitchen sink - so much...
  20. Lordoftheflies

Bathtub redirect and concrete laundry sink!

Plumber redirected the 1st floor bathtub to the vent line today. Initially the problem was the bathtub kept backing up and everytime I plunged it I got food particles in the bathtub. I thought (as did the plumber) the reason was because of an incorrectly pitched 2" line coming out of the main...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks