Search results

1. darren_t_johnson

Backwater valve installation question

Hi hj, yes, 2% is the "1/4inch per foot" minimum that is required. I'm digging up a lot, and have more then enough room to make up that 3/4" difference. My main concern was that should the Mainline backwater valve unit itself be level, and the inlet and outlet pipes should have the 2% minimum...
  2. darren_t_johnson

joining ABS pipes partially under water

Thanks Terry. I'll be waiting for the glue to be well set before dropping it in the whole. But its good to hear that I wont have to worry about it. Its my main waste line, so I want to leave it disconnect for too long. I'll be using the shop-vac as much as possible, but I can't dump it out...
  3. darren_t_johnson

Backwater valve installation question

Hi, I'm going to be installing a Mainline backwater valve, and the instructions say I need at least 2% grade. I over analyze things... so does that mean the inlet pipe and outlet pipe have to have at least 2% grade, and the backwate valve should be level? The outlet pipe is already 3/4"...
  4. darren_t_johnson

joining ABS pipes partially under water

Hi, I'm going to be joining some ABS drain/waste pipes together under my basement floor, and the bottom 1/4 of the pipe will be in water. The water table is still a little high from some recent rains. How sensitive is the ABS cement to water? I'm going to try to lift the ends up, apply the...
  5. darren_t_johnson

Combining pipes in Basement plumbing

Thanks Mike. Now I need to dig out the rest of the drainage gravel and buy a lot of ABS!
  6. darren_t_johnson

Hi, does anyone want to take a stab at this? Despite all the information, I really only have three questions. 1) In pic3, the circled San-T should be a WYE or a long sweep combo right? San-T's really should not be used to transition like that. 2) In pic4, option #1 is ok right? It is the same...
  7. darren_t_johnson

Is this a normal basement drain in an older home?

Fair question. Short story... there is clay drain tiles along one wall for sure. Long storey... But I found out about the exterior drain tiles the hard way. I had a crack in my foundation that I had to fix. I never hand any water problems unless my eve trough got plugged with leaves and it...
  8. darren_t_johnson

"retro fit"? Sure, but it must have been done a long time ago. That cast iron looks as corroded as the main waste pipe. It looks to me like it was supposed to take care of any water under the slab. Would you agree? "cut it out?" I will be removing it. But is there anything else I can do...
  9. darren_t_johnson

Right. that is how it "should" be done. And all the constructions in our area for many years have two city ties in. One tie in for storm sewers(for floor drains, footing drain tiles and street sewers), and a tie in for waste/sewer (toilets and sinks). At least that's what I call them around...
  10. darren_t_johnson

Thanks for the response hj. Sorry for not providing better pics, but I got tired of breaking up concrete. I gave the concrete wet saw and jack hammer back to my buddy last week, so now all I have is a diamond blade for my circular saw and a sledge hammer. Very dusty dirty work. And the slab...
  11. darren_t_johnson

Hi, I'm currently redoing a lot of the plumbing in my basement... Its a home built in 1960, in Ottawa, Canada. I'm adding two bathrooms. There are two floor drains in my basement. One 2" drain near all the old laundry fixtures. Its a normal drain (2" drain with a trap and a trap arm that...
  12. darren_t_johnson

Double sink rough in. . .

hj, why do you say its overkill? Because both vents run all the way to the ceiling instead of 42" (or 6" above the fixtures)? I'm probably mixing multiple plumbing standards... I'm just curious to hear other peoples opinions.
  13. darren_t_johnson

no worries. I was just joking around. Everyone has their own jobs and life... and it was friday. I think its great that people take the time to help answer questions on forums like this.
  14. darren_t_johnson

No responses? I guess all the plumbers are taking Friday off? Did I throw too much information into one post?
  15. darren_t_johnson

Hi, I’m adding new bathroom in my basement and I’m moving a lot of the existing plumbing around to make room. All of the plumbing for the new bathroom is not relevant to this post (for now). It will tie into the main pipe further downstream, and I’ll be putting a new vent through the...
  16. darren_t_johnson

Another basement and mainfloor DWV layout

Hi hj, when you said "not sure if that is the best installation", were you talking about the layout of the pipes under the concrete? Or the bathroom layout in general? thanks
  17. darren_t_johnson

I agree, I don't think there would be any siphoning if everything is vented properly... but that's just what some licensed plumbers told me was code. I'm still reading through our code to verify that. If the 5ft distance isn't a requirement, then I could tie all three lines together on the...
  18. darren_t_johnson

Hi, I've been reading threads on this site for a few months now and must say, this forum is an amazing source of knowledge! Now on my my project... I'm starting a renovation and will be installing a new main floor bathroom (toilet and sink) and a new full basement bathroom (tub, shower...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks