Search results

1. mattster1975

Gas hot water heater is 14 years old - when to replace?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace it. What things should a homeowner look for when changing a hot water heater out? Expansion tank? Tempering valve? I don't have any of that stuff now and we do have some water hammer on the hot side.
  2. mattster1975

Gas hot water heater is 14 years old - when to replace?

I have a gas hot water heater that is 14 years old (not sure when it was put into service - we have used it for the last 7 years. It is a GE with a 6 year warranty. It's not leaking and the T/P valve is ok. I have never flushed it or changed the anode. We have hard water in our area. Should...
  3. mattster1975

One water hammer arrestor, or 2?

I have put on a sioux chief mini-rester on the hot water only for my LG washing machine. We only get hammer on the hot water side, so I don't see why I need 2 arrestors, except for the fact that it still hammers really badly. Is there any reason to put an arrestor on the well behaved cold...
  4. mattster1975

Water hammer hot water only

Ok - just got the new pressure gauge and the static pressure was 68 PSI at the hose bib. Would a pressure reducing valve possibly help?
  5. mattster1975

It was 60 PSI at the hose bib the last time I checked (when I installed the Watts arrestor a year or so ago). I can check again - my neighborhood has boster pumps to keep pressure higher and consistent. Can the hot pressure be higher b/c of thermal expansion of the water?
  6. mattster1975

I can hear where the hammer happens. Does securing the pipes help at all? The hammer comes from right under the 2nd floor water heater so breaking open the ceiling and securing the pipes would be messy and expensive, but doable. Does securing the pipes help at all? Would installing a pressure...
  7. mattster1975

Hi - have severe water hammer with the hot water only. It's worst with the LG washing machine (even with a mini-restor at the appliance). We get it if we turn off a faucet too hard too. Do we need to bite the bullet and just open up the ceiling and secure the pipes? Can a pressure reducing...
  8. mattster1975

Thermostatic valve for tub

My hot water heater is also over 10 years old (made in 2002 - not sure when it was installed). It is a GE 6 year warranty tank. We have hard water (central TX) and I am not sure philosophically if it makes sense to replace the water heater proactively before it breaks, or to wait till it starts...
  9. mattster1975

Thermostatic valve for tub

Hi: I am wondering if folks think it is worth it to install thermostatic valves either at the hot water heater or at the fixture (inside the wall) for tubs used by small kids. I have turned my water heater down so the max temperature at the fixture is about 120F. Interested in whether folks...
  10. mattster1975

LG washing machine super loud water hammer

Hi: I have an LG washing machine. On a cycle that draws hot water the water hammer is really really loud. I am concerned about damage to the copper pipes the noise and rattling is so bad. I tried a sioux chief mini-rester - that did not really help. Next a watts arrestor (the blue one - a...
  11. mattster1975

Water service upgrade for home fire sprinkler

A lot of newer construction is done with light weight construction (floor and roof trusses and wood I-beams etc) and it seems that this style of construction does not perform as well in a fire when compared to traditional construction with larger dimensioned lumber. Houses built with...
  12. mattster1975

Yes - if I was building a new house I would probably do a system like this (UpHonor makes a PEX system that works with domestic water). The only risk would be if the whole house was shut off and we were sweating in a water heater and started a fire that way (but this would be during the day...
  13. mattster1975

I am thinking about tanks too. I was leery of the tank because of the reliance on the electrical grid, but if there are non electric pumps that makes it more interesting. Mostly I want the sprinklers to give me a few more min to evacuate if there is a fire so a 10 min run time is ok. The...
  14. mattster1975

Hi: I am looking at installing a home fire sprinkler in a 2 story slab home. The current water service is only 5/8" and the sprinkler contractors have advised that is not going to be big enough. Is it possible to replace the existing water service to and inside the the house with a 1"...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks