Search results

1. penobscotman

Flexible supply line for clawfoot tub

Bump - update. The tub is used mostly as a shower, rarely filled. Will 3/8 provide sufficient flow/pressure???
  2. penobscotman

Flexible supply line for clawfoot tub

I'd like to use stainless flex lines to supply a clawfoot tub. Can I use the 3/8 lines like for a sink, or do I need the 1/2 lines like for a hot water heater? Advantage of the 3/8 lines is ease of installing stops.
  3. penobscotman

Wet wall around clawfoot tub

I'm cleaning up the tenants' bathroom after their departure. They seem to splash a lot of water on the walls around the clawfoot tub, even with the curtain deployed. So there are some peeling paint problems. I'm thinking of covering the walls with pieces of that material used for...
  4. penobscotman

Draining the plumbing to avoid winter freeze

We are in coastal Maine -- positively balmy by comparison! I routinely put antifreeze in the traps, although I've never done it to the clothes washer. Not sure how I would do that as the only water intake is via the hoses. It's a front-loader. I have a compressor, but I'm stumped on how to...
  5. penobscotman

Draining the plumbing to avoid winter freeze

Any advice on how to facilitate draining the supply system (copper) in a seasonal house to avoid winter freeze? Every fall I drain the system (pump off, taps open). In about thirty years I've had a couple of burst pipe incidents, which is not a lot, but every season I cross my fingers as I...
  6. penobscotman

Threaded union to shower valve

"Common DIY problem" -- that stings! But you are right, of course. I was too timid with the wrench. I cut out adjacent copper, reinstalled new adapters and really torqued them down. Now no leaks. It was easier to apply force the second time around as the valve was held firmly by the...
  7. penobscotman

Testing a new faucet

I did everything everyone said -- no leaks. Thanks.
  8. penobscotman

Threaded union to shower valve

Do you mean a union between the female adapter (screwed to the valve) and the supply line, or to attach the female half of the union directly to the valve in place of an adapter? I've got a leak between the female adapter and the valve -- looking for a solution. I must have been afraid of...
  9. penobscotman

Testing a new faucet

I guess my question was almost too dumb to be answered, but thanks! Won't the water spray out? I guess I will find out!
  10. penobscotman

Testing a new faucet

I'm installing a shower (fibreglas enclosure) and I'm about to start on the rough plumbing. Copper, sweated fittings. Is there any way to test the plumbing for leaks before I install shower walls and the shower cartridge, etc.?
  11. penobscotman

Backer board for shower grab bar (fiberglass surround)

The Kohler/Sterling website keeps talking about "backer boards" for attaching grab bars to their Vikrell surrounds. It's a bit vague, but I once found a page on their site which "sort of" explained it. Now I can't find the page and the company doesn't seem to to understand my query. My memory...
  12. penobscotman

Shower surround - horrible mess with silicone caulk

Yes, I accept full responsibility for that blunder - not using tape. But I think the best remedy is to cut the mess out and start over. As I see it, another problem with leaving a space to be filled with caulk is that the cut edge of the DW shows above the caulk bead if it is concave. It's a...
  13. penobscotman

Shower surround - horrible mess with silicone caulk

Finally got the shower in after a two month horrific remodel. Final step was to caulk between the DW overlapping the nailing flange and the top of the enclosure wall. I left a 1/4 inch gap for caulking as specified in install directions. Used silicone caulk as specified. A horrible mess. I...
  14. penobscotman

Alignment of Moen plaster ground (single handed shower faucet)

(Talking to myself on this thread!): I think I've figured this out. The directions Moen supplies are for a replacement of an existing valve. I'm doing new work. I should have placed the valve body in the preferred position, plaster ground tight against outer surface of surround material...
  15. penobscotman

1/32 inch gap between enclosure walls and receptor

The shower is in with the framing as good as I could get it. I did have to shim here and there. Ideally I would have used perfectly straight 2X4's, but even with picking at the lumber yard this was an elusive goal. Thanks for your help.
  16. penobscotman

How attach a new shower body valve

I just did this with a Moen valve and, like you, was looking for flanges. However the directions show the valve supported by the supply lines, copper in my case. That has worked fine. My trouble was visualizing the spacing fore-and-aft in the stud cavity. The directions were nearly useless...
  17. penobscotman

Securing a wobbly PVC stack

Thanks to all who responded. I did what you said - proper Fernco shielded fitting, gently tightened riser clamp and now everything seems nice and rigid.
  18. penobscotman

I know these are lame questions, but the problem is that I don't really understand how these enclosures for tubs and showers work to keep water in. Something sits on top of something else. The join is shaped like flashing, at least that is how I visualize the cross-section. So any water that...
  19. penobscotman

Sorry. It's a Kohler/Sterling "Advantage" shower enclusure. Vikrell. Three walls and a pan/receptor. 32X36. Everything snaps together and it looks as if the joints are arranged to drain. But they aren't not tight like solvent-glued PVC.
  20. penobscotman

Sterling says there should be no more than a 1/32 inch gap between the walls and the receptor. But whatever gap there is seems to be determined by the contact between the receptor flange and the pin thingy on the back wall. They butt, are coplaner. The woman on the help line suggested that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks