Search results

1. Stuff

Best way to find sewer smell?

A friend of mine is getting a smell maybe once a week at the top of her basement stairs. She thought it was natural gas so didn't worry about it. :rolleyes: I've told her to get a real plumber out but she's reluctant as she can't see anything broke and the smell goes away. So my goal isn't...
  2. Stuff

Distance between fixtures - is it enforced?

I'm going to be helping a friend squeeze in a new powder room and we are at the design/layout stage. Right now it looks like the best bet is to put the toilet next to sink. IRC appears to force this to be a minimum of a 60" wall space but I see all kinds of examples of smaller. Do inspectors...
  3. Stuff

Any issues with exposed PEX?

A friend has an unfinished basement and had piping installed for the hot and cold laundry feeds. The PEX is secured to the cement block walls but has no other protection. 1st - Can I assume it is not light sensitive as I know some plastics deteriorate in sunlight? 2nd - Any rules in plumbing...
  4. Stuff

Any Visio plumbing stencils available?

I use Microsoft Visio but the plumbing stencils in the pro version are for engineering drawings. I would like some stencils that represent physical objects like pipes, tees and valves both copper and PVC. That way it would be easier to visualize what a new layout would look like. I currently...
  5. Stuff

Worst home plubming in the USA?

I wish this was a joke. In Arizona with no regulation. You can see two S traps feeding a running trap. Then you step over pipes to go through a door.
  6. Stuff

Copper supply piping - No Y fittings?

Just a theory question. Would copper supply lines in a home benefit much from using wyes instead of tees? This assumes a traditional system without manifolds. Also - why no long radius copper 90s? I have seen them used in old houses and air conditioner linesets.
  7. Stuff

T&P valve required?

I'm looking at how point of use tankless water heaters are installed under sinks and other finished areas. Since these areas usually don't have a floor drain how does a TPRV piping get routed? Do most installations skip it? From my quick read: IRC appears to state that all water heating...
  8. Stuff

Do old natrual gas pipes always leak?

Backstory: Years ago the gas company came out to replace my meter and they did an inside presssure test before turning things back on. The pressure test showed leaks in multiple locations and the tech said that the test itself may have popped the seals. 1940's house with all black pipe and a...
  9. Stuff

Heatworks Model 1, tankless water heater

Saw this come out of a kickstarter campaign. Only about a foot long and 6" diameter. Max 240v/48 amp draw but can be setup to work with 120v/15a. Say wifi coming soon. They make a lot of claims that sound too good to be true. https://myheatworks.com/...
  10. Stuff

PVC and ABS specification

IRC code talks about allowed ABS and PVC "including schedule 40, DR 22 (PS 200) and DR 24 (PS 140); with a solid, cellular core or composite wall" So is there more than one type of schedule 40? Just wondering if someone has a simple explanation. - What is DR22, 24, and PS 200, 140 ?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks