Search results

1. Edgeman

Need advice on converting from oil to natural gas.....combis?

Thanks for your input, guys. Looks like the TT60 with a Smart 50 is the way to go. For the extra $200 I get a 10 gallon margin over the Smart 40 to cover the DHW.
  2. Edgeman

Most of my contractors are insisting on the TT110 rather that the TT60. "The 110k will not Short Cycle it is designed to modulate, these boilers run on low fire 80% of the time. You will need 110k BTU with your hot water demand setting the tank high will causing scaling and other problems. We...
  3. Edgeman

Upon oil to gas conversion, getting rid of the 275 heating oil tank? The 5 year old 275 gal heating oil tank is above ground and in a shed next to the driveway. The gas contractors are quoting me anywhere from $500 to $750 to remove it from my property. Being that it is above ground, is it...
  4. Edgeman

Thanks everyone for your help. Sounds like a good plan that I will be going with. The contractors all want to talk you up in BTUs and Indirect size. One wanted 110 with a 60 gal indirect. I think they make more money the larger the installed system.
  5. Edgeman

The Slant Fin Heat Loss calculation for my house came out to around 42K BTU loss per house. While my upstairs zone is 31,600 BTU heat loss, the downstairs is only 11,085 BTU heat loss. The upstairs fin baseboard is 100 ft 2 zones slaved into one thermostat while the downstairs fin baseboard is...
  6. Edgeman

My hot water demands are not extravagant. We have 4 people in the house and 2 baths but one only has a shower. 3 people will shower in the morning but not at the same time. I shower at night. The shower heads are High Sierra 1.5 GPM High Efficiency Low Flow Shower Head (highly recommended by the...
  7. Edgeman

One contractor said that with the TTPrestige 60, "you don't have enough BTUs to meet minimum flow rates. You're going to need at least 110k." On the spec sheet of the Smart 40 indirect, it says "Boiler Output BTU/Hr = 112K BTU. Does that mean that I need 112K BTUs from the boiler to get the...
  8. Edgeman

Nice analysis guys, appreciate everyone's input. I'm going with the TT Prestige Solo 60 with the TT Smart 40 Indirect Hot Water. I just got approval for a 2.99% 10 year loan with no money down for the boiler replacement under a CT energy saving incentive program, booyeah! Plus a $750 rebate...
  9. Edgeman

I currently have a propane stovetop which uses maybe 30 gals a year @ $4.33 currently.or $130 per year. I also have an electric clothes drier. Should i bother piping natural gas to change the stovetop and perhaps have a gas drier if ever my electric drier dies? It cost $500 to run the gas...
  10. Edgeman

Looks like I'm looking at the TT CC125s (aluminum heat exchanger) with the TT Smart 40 Indirect Hot Water Heater vs. Weil McLain GV90+4 with the Weil McLain AquaPlus 45 Indirect hot water tank which is 5% cheaper. The GV90+$ has a cast iron heat exchanger. Will this have a longer life? Which...
  11. Edgeman

From http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/136330/Heat-Loss-Calculation Applying Brad's formula: BTHU = (Annual Fuel usage/0.6)*(house temp-design temp)*efficiency*fuel heat value)/HDDx24 Where: 68 house temp that we set to 9 design temp from gov data 0.79 efficiency from energy audit...
  12. Edgeman

How do I calculate heat lost base on oil consumption? My energy audit says in 2012 I used 775 gallons of #2 diesel at 79% efficiency. The gov data says that my region had 4753 heating degree days in 2012. I keep the house at 68 degrees. How do I estimate the hourly BTU heat loss from this data?
  13. Edgeman

I was referring to the time lag for combis. He likes indirect water tanks although they would be more expensive. I counted that I have around 160 ft of baseboard in my house. A contractor said that if I multiply that 160 x 560 = 89,600 BTUs that would be the maximum BTUs that can be outputed...
  14. Edgeman

With all the incentives and rebates out there, it is time to switch to natural gas! I spent the last few week reading a ton of info on the internet. I live in a coastal CT town in a 1960 sq. ft wood shingled raised ranch with a timberline asphalt roof. This week I had an energy audit done. My...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks