Search results

1. Mikebarone

Looking for a low cost propane room heater

Hi…I’m trying to find a low cost venting, (from the outside) propane heater. It is for a small apartment, (approx 250 square feet). All of the ones I have found on the web, are around the $600.00 to $700.00 range and up. I don’t really feel comfortable with the heaters that (use the air...
  2. Mikebarone

Looking for a low cost propane room heater

Hi…I’m trying to find a low cost venting, (from the outside) propane heater. It is for a small apartment, (approx 250 square feet). All of the ones I have found on the web, are around the $600.00 to $700.00 range and up. I don’t really feel comfortable with the heaters that (use the air...
  3. Mikebarone

Draining a water softener into a septic system...bad idea?

I have a client that the water softener discharge line drains into her sewer line that goes into her septic system. I noticed on my dads discharge line on his water softener, (that he just discharges on the ground) that it, (over time) leaves a crusty salt layer on the ground. On my clients...
  4. Mikebarone

Hot water tank expansion tank vs T&P valve.

I’m a (want to be) handyman and I have been reading the post on, “Imploding water heaterâ€. I’m still a little confused why the T&P valve didn’t open, before the damage accrued to the water heater. Did the valve malfunction? If so, would it be a good idea to install a “T†coming out...
  5. Mikebarone

When it is “excessively high water pressure�

I went over and looked at a job, (where he needs a new water supply line). He has a 5/8” water meter and the supply line is ¾”, (old and rusted) galvanized line. The distance from the meter to the house is around 40 feet. When I tested for static pressure, he was getting 92 psi. When the back...
  6. Mikebarone

Underground pipe install.

Hey all, I’m going to install a ¾†main water line, (from the water meter to the house). In some areas here in Phoenix, the soil is aggressive, and will deteriorate copper pipe from the outside inward. Is it a good idea to bed and shade the copper pipe with sand, or just wrap it...
  7. Mikebarone

Hey, it’s me again. Hang on for this one!

Hey, it’s me again. Hang on for this one! I am in Phoenix Arizona. A close friend of mine that has a 5 ton A/C unit, (that heats with propane gas) on her house. Her house is 2700 square feet, and the wall insulation is just moderate. I think the unit is under sized for the house. I would...
  8. Mikebarone

Air handler / duct work problem.

I am working at a client’s house where I think I have discovered that the return air duct, (on her five ton split system) is too small for the size of the air handler itself. I also have a good friend that is a licensed HVAC contractor and he agrees that it wasn’t sized sufficiently for the...
  9. Mikebarone

Well pump going bad.

My parents are on a community well along with three other families. The well has a 5 horse power pump that is down around 600 feet. They do not have a storage tank and a jet pump; it just pumps against 4 bladder tanks and then out to the homes. The pump has been bring up sand and silt for some...
  10. Mikebarone

Testing for air pressure in a house.

I have learned on the plumbing forum how to make a low cost water column tester. This tester is used to test for leaks in gas lines with a very low pressure, (about ½ PSI). I was wondering if there is a low cost device that would measure in Pascals? I was going to use my home made water column...
  11. Mikebarone

Information on a reusable whole house water filter:

My parents are on a well that produces a lot of sand and silt. They had installed a typical whole house water filter, but because of the amount of sand and silt in the water, they had to change the filter about every five days. I found this washable and reusable bag type filter on the...
  12. Mikebarone

Testing for gas leaks

I am in the process of leak testing a gas line for a double wide modular home. The gas line is black iron pipe, and it only supplies two appliances, (a furnace, and the stove/oven combination). The home uses propane from a 250 gallon tank. I am using compressed air at 15 psi, with a gas...
  13. Mikebarone

Stupid question #158 from me…

Well, I’m going to ask it… Why don’t they make electric water heaters where both the top and bottom elements can work at the same time? Wouldn’t this be a really high yielding hot water heater? I know that most all homes are not pre-wired for this amount of amps to run at the same...
  14. Mikebarone

Hot water expansion tank

I have a client that has a home that has two electric hot water tanks. One tank does one half of the house, and the other tank does the other half of the house. Recently, she had a plumber install a pressure reducing valve on her house and, (because of what I’ve learned on this great forum)...
  15. Mikebarone

Substance on the outside of copper fittings

A friend of mine has an electric hot water tank, with a hot water recycling system. It appears that on a lot of the fittings, there is a substance that is forming on the outside of the fittings. I wouldn’t think that all of the fittings are leaking but I guess anything is possible. He does...
  16. Mikebarone

Salt in well water

I know this is a little far off from being a plumbing question, but with all of the knowledge I’ve found on this forum, I figured I’d give it a try. I have a client that is on well water out here in Phoenix Az. where the water is as hard as a rock. She was getting a white film in her black...
  17. Mikebarone

Solder or braze...copper rod or Silver rod?

HI, I need to join a 1†copper line using standard copper fittings. One of these splices will be in an attic, and the other one will be under the concrete house slab. I have been told that a normal solder connection will be fine. I’ve also been told to braze them together using a copper...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks