Search results

1. Lone Star Charles

Electrical wire accidently charred.

To me, the wire in the picture does not look like regular house wiring. It appears as if there are two wires that are bonded together. Of course, maybe there is just a brownish line that runs down the wire. I can't really tell.
  2. Lone Star Charles

43v in circuit when breaker switched off

Try the same measurements with your old analog multimeter and let us know what you get. I suspect that jadnashua is correct. Cheers Charles
  3. Lone Star Charles

43v in circuit when breaker switched off

Try the same measurements with your old analog multimeter and let us know what you get. I suspect that jadnashua is correct. Cheers Charles
  4. Lone Star Charles

Voltage loss in underground cable.. FOUND IT!!!

Sure is a puzzler. One quick check that you may have already tried but if not, might give you a little more information. disconnect all of the conductors (L1, L2, & N) from their connections on both ends connect all three conductors together at one end of the run from the other end, measure...
  5. Lone Star Charles

Three way switch with integral pilot... exists?

It WAS the "manufacturers" literature that I referenced. I looked at all three references mentioned in post #2 - couldn't find it mentioned. Perhaps you could help - there are days that I can't find my car keys either and certainly appreciate when someone finds them for me. Whether we call...
  6. Lone Star Charles

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder why the manufacturers don't mention this on their literature. Seems to me that there will be an electrical path through the ballast windings, the same as through the filament. Does it have something to do with the fact that a magnetic ballast is an...
  7. Lone Star Charles

Why won't the pilot light work if controlling a light with a ballast?
  8. Lone Star Charles

Switch turned off, getting weird multimeter reading

It's not unusual for the open circuit voltage to be really squirrelly, especially when you measure it with a volt meter that has a very high input resistance. In this case, transient induced voltages or even static charges can fool the volt meter into higher readings that would not be evident...
  9. Lone Star Charles

Electric Motor - ID / replacement help

Suggest that you go by a supply house that specializes in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning parts such as Johnstone Supply. If anybody can match that, they will.
  10. Lone Star Charles

Humidifier install & AC coil

I live in Houston, Texas, so the last thing that we ever need is to add humidity to the air. I said that only to let you know where my advice is coming from. However, I don't think that installing your humidifier below the AC coil will be any problem unless you are planning on running the...
  11. Lone Star Charles

Light Bulbs Failing Simultaneously

I've always heard the old saying about leaving a light bulb on and making it last longer, but I've never really been able to verify that through experience. Does anybody have any references or sources for that claim? Seems to me that an incandescent bulb with a 2,000 hour life will last...
  12. Lone Star Charles

Fan motor problem

Suggest that you take another look at the details of what the OP wanted. The picture of the one you recommended is 1/4 HP vs 1/3 HP on the original. Also, the rotation is opposite the original. The amperage does not match. To the original poster - You can take your motor to any HVAC supply...
  13. Lone Star Charles

5 zone system: one zone has low pressure/spray..

Broken line, but should be easy to spot as water boils out of ground. Kinked line - rare, but possible. Does valve have a manual shutoff that is not totally open? Just a few "What else" that comes to mind.
  14. Lone Star Charles

A/C Condensaye drain P-Trap venting problem

I suspect there may be a clog further on down the line. I have seen where the AC installer tapped the nearest plumbing vent line for the condensate drain. After a few years of AC condensate and Texas sunshine coming down the same plumbing vent, the slimy mold growth inside the vent would clog...
  15. Lone Star Charles

What size heating strips

The old rule of thumb that I have used to determine reasonableness for heating is 10 watts per square foot for heating. If your house is poorly insulated, located in a very cold climate, has a lot of leakage, etc., you might want to increase that number. Also, keep in mind that the resistance...
  16. Lone Star Charles

Solenoid Manual Control question

I don't know whether placing a 24v source across the solenoid will backfeed the controller or whether it will harm the controller even if it does, but it might. What you might do is to add a DPDT relay into your circuit so that when you supply the voltage to the solenoid it also drops out the...
  17. Lone Star Charles

Fliter changes

Reminds me of some lines from the movie "Terms of Endearment": Sam Burns: You're a very rude young woman. I know Douglas from the Rotary and I can't believe he'd want you treating customers so badly. Checkout Girl: I don't think I was treating her badly. Sam Burns: Then you must be...
  18. Lone Star Charles

Fliter changes

shopco - The info that you have gathered from Dwyer is spot on. Like I said earlier, I have used Dwyer equipment in the past and found it to be very good. In answer to your question - yes, the static port is usually oriented perpendicular to the air flow. I think that you are on the right...
  19. Lone Star Charles

Carrier A/C Not getting cold

Please look at question #7 on this link http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html I suspect that your NASA certification may not have been valid for home repair or commercial application; especially since you were not allowed to buy a new system. A review of the Environmental Protection...
  20. Lone Star Charles

Carrier A/C Not getting cold

My certification, issued in 1992, does not have an expiration. Where did you get yours?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks