Search results

1. Richb2

room cold. how to proceed?

The plaster is on metal lathe. Between the plaster and the inside of the stone structure is a pocket of maybe a few inches.
  2. Richb2

>>Is this a rubble-stone veneer over a studwall structural wall on which plaster & lath are applied? A masonry cavity wall? If it's plaster & lath on studs, and the exterior sheathing is in good shape it's possilbe to insulate it by blowing cellose (or fiberglass) from the interior through a...
  3. Richb2

My bedroom is about 14 x 16 or so and has only one wall that is connected to the rest of the house. There is a window in each of the three freestanding walls. Each window is pretty old and although we did have storm windows added to the outside about 15 years ago, I feel that they are leaky. I...
  4. Richb2

Is it possible to have both an oil and gas burner?

I have oil in my house. I have noticed that the price of oil fluctuates alot and is quite a bit more expensive to heat with than natural gas, right now. Is it possible to get an gas burner installed but to be able to switch between the gas furnace or the oil furnace back and forth? I have hot...
  5. Richb2

getting rid of the tank

not only will I need to cut a hole in my nice antique oak floor, but from what you say, I will also need to have a hole cut through the roof of the house. If I had only considered this expense before I bought this home 14 years ago, I would have chosen a nice split level. :) I guess that the...
  6. Richb2

getting rid of the tank

Are you saying that in order to fix that well (someday) that hole through the ceiling (the room has a 7' ceiling, and the wine cask is empty and has been cut to fit over the well head and hose) will need to be re-opened? I have put in a really nice oak floor with underfloor heating, in the rooms...
  7. Richb2

getting rid of the tank

It was in the house this way when I bought the house 14 years ago. There is a window in the well room that leads to the outside. Is that tube fairly flexible? I noticed that there is a hole in the concrete ceiling directly above the well head. I suspect that when they drilled the well, they had...
  8. Richb2

getting rid of the tank

I have a well room in my house. It is really just a concrete room under one section of the house. In the middle of the concrete floor is a approx 1 foot square hole which does to the dirt. Coming out of the hole is a well head, about two feet high. Coming out of this well head is an electrical...
  9. Richb2

cutting into a line to put a ball valve

Yes. Thanks for your help. I help people for a living, and as such, never expect a thank you. But if you need to hear a thank you to stroke your ego, here we go, THANK YOU.
  10. Richb2

I don't know where you guys live, but I recently had a really bad experience in NJ. I have had some good experiences. >>Funny, >>I doesn't bother me at all to drop off my cars and vans and have someone >>else work on them. Believe me, I would much rather have hired someone if I could...
  11. Richb2

Well, we agree to agree. Good luck.
  12. Richb2

We got it going. Luckily there were two of us and one has a brother-in-law who is a plumber. Ended up pulling the bibb back through the wall and then pushing is back in. I'd rather step on a nail than hire a plumber.
  13. Richb2

The hose bib is not the problem. I can loosen it. The issue is that that copper tube going trough the wall has clear caulking around it very heavily caulked. How can I remove this cauking or least get it so I can pull the pipe out?
  14. Richb2

It is way up in a ceiling with a lot of wood around it in an old house and there is very little room. I don't want to burn down the house. I will try to work with the play since L.wes didn't have a slip coupling anyway. Now this is going to an outside spigot. I am putting this into the line...
  15. Richb2

I got a shark-bite-like 1/2 ball valve. I need to cut into a copper line to place this in. The ball valve take 1 1/2 inch of pipe in each side and the ball valve in 3 3/4 inches long, so math tells me that if I remove 3/4" of copper pipe, the ball valve should fit perfectly. BUT, the way these...
  16. Richb2

ball valve leaking

A frost-free silcock is a good idea. I have thought about that before. There are 2 problems. The walls of this house are stone and about a foot thick, maybe more. Assuming I get the 14" silcock, this only leaves perhaps and inch or two coming through the wall. 2. The silcocks are usually...
  17. Richb2

ball valve leaking

What is a big blue/red box?
  18. Richb2

ball valve leaking

OK. Now we are thinking outside the box. But how do I get this in? Say I cut out the old ball valve. Let's say this leaves a 3 inch piece missing in the line. Now I want to put the Sharkbite back exactly in it's place. But the sharkbite is not exactly 3 inches long.
  19. Richb2

ball valve leaking

>>Does the current ball valve leak in the open position¿ You mean leak from the valve itself? No. When the valve is closed a little bit of water still emits. Is there a washer in these things? >>Do you have access to any other part of the line in question¿ No. As I said there is...
  20. Richb2

ball valve leaking

As I said, there is approx only one foot in which to remove the current ball valve and replace it.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks