Search results

1. rpdwyer

Wiring a workshop...is it correct?

"With 225' of #8 AWG copper, you'll only be able to draw about 10A for a 120V load, or 20A for a 240V load, while staying within the guideline of 3% voltage drop." Hmmm....I don't know why I was thinking it would be higher. 10 Amps won't be enough to run my 15 Amp/110V compressor. 20's...
  2. rpdwyer

Wiring a workshop...is it correct?

I finished the wiring to my shed/workshop this weekend. The connection between the two is 225 feet of direct burial 8/3 cable with ground. Where it exits/enters the house and shed it does so via 2" electrical conduit. The shed panel is mounted to plywood and the electrical coming in stays in...
  3. rpdwyer

Amps at 230' via 8/3

Thanks for the clear explanation. Much appreciated.
  4. rpdwyer

Amps at 230' via 8/3

The panel in the shed is existing and it doesn't have a ground rod as it was wired to connect to my generator and everything I found on grounding indicated that when a generator is used the genny itself provides the ground. The feed to the shed from my house is replacing the generator feed...
  5. rpdwyer

Amps at 230' via 8/3

Does the small panel I have in the shed now not serve as a disconnect given it has a main breaker throw before the individual breaker feeds?
  6. rpdwyer

Amps at 230' via 8/3

I’ve got a run of 8/3 with ground direct burial cable to run to my work shop that is 230’ away. Using the following voltage drop calculator I get a voltage drop of 3.97% at 15 Amps: https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html However, I have two hots...does that get me more usable...
  7. rpdwyer

Powering a shed 250' away

Thanks. If I want 30 Amps and 220V at the shed panel, it looks like to be under 5% voltage drop at around 230' (i can get it down to 230) I need two hot legs of 4 awg. Is it less expensive to run individual conductors or cable? --Rick
  8. rpdwyer

Powering a shed 250' away

Hi all. I’m looking to power a shed about 250’ feet from my house panel via a buried PVC conduit. Lowes sells Southwire 8/3 Stranded UF Wire with ground by the foot. Is this wire sufficient for PVC conduit burial up to 250’, 2 legs each sending 120V paired to a double throw 30 Amp breaker in...
  9. rpdwyer

Led channels & tile

Hello all. We're doing a master bath right now and I'd like to put some LEDs running vertically in a waterproof channel to really create a clean and modern aesthetic. I have a couple of questions though... If the aluminum channel is embedded within the tile, is it likely that the grout around...
  10. rpdwyer

Running electrical 250'

Cable like this qualifies to enter both premises? 1/0,1/0,1/0 & #2 Notre Dame Underground Secondary Distribution Cable
  11. rpdwyer

Running electrical 250'

I will more accurately measure the distance but it appears that if I'm around 250', using feeder cable I can get at least 2 legs of #2 30 Amp, a #2 neutral and a #4 ground. Does this sound correct? I wanted 50 or 60 amps so I could run a welder but it looks like i would have to go with copper...
  12. rpdwyer

Running electrical 250'

Hi All. I want to run 30 amps to my work shed about 250 feet from my house panel. It currently has a 60 AMP subpanel that I usually power with a generator. I've got an electric heater in there and some power tools including a wood lathe, saws, bench drill and bench grinders. I believe I can...
  13. rpdwyer

Sharkbite Manifolds...reliable? Pex size recommendation

Three questions: 1 - I have 3/4 copper for both hot and cold running into the space that will be our master bath. If I sweat on a SharkBite manifold to each of them and then attach Pex to SharkBite fittings, assuming everything is done correctly, will this setup be reliable and not leak 2 or 3...
  14. rpdwyer

Moving a vanity drain about 4 feet

Wasn't sure I could do that because it's not clear to me what that main stack connects to on the floor below me. So in my drawing it's clearly a vent as it goes up and out to the roof. However, if that stack somewhere below me acts as a drain for the sink or shower in the room below does that...
  15. rpdwyer

So if I understand it correctly, my new run should look like the black line I depict in the attached screenshot?
  16. rpdwyer

Hi all. I have a drain pipe (1-7/8” OD) I need to move about 4 feet for a new sink we will be installing (this room was rough plumbed about 16 years ago and we are only getting to finishing it now) In the attached drawing the drains current location is in red hash and marked as “drain/vent”...
  17. rpdwyer

Moving a toilet waste line 5.5 feet... Possible?

OK, thanks Terry and to all those who responded. --Rick
  18. rpdwyer

OK, so plywood glued and screwed to each joist... not a problem. However, as per my previous post, my concern is the finished position of the horizontal pipe in it's new location. It will likely be about 4" to 4.5" below the finished floor grade before I put the 90 degree bend on it and the...
  19. rpdwyer

Gary, thanks. Great idea. Glue and screw 2x2's. I've seen plywood used as well, glued and screw before the holes are punched to add extra support. Not sure which would be stronger, but I'm not afraid of overkill in this situation. --Rick
  20. rpdwyer

Thanks Terry. OK, so if I start my penetration on the first joist right at the 2" mark (from the bottom of the joist)... when I punch through my fourth joist next to the new toilet location, with a 1/4" inch slope per foot, I have increased my height by 1.5" to put me 3.75" below the top of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks