Search results

1. Neil.Steiner

Is this spigot likely sweated on?

I have an outdoor spigot that works fairly well, but it's old and could probably benefit from replacement with a frost-free version with a backflow preventer. (And I currently have the wall opened up because I'm redoing a closet.) The faucet on the outside is almost right up against the wall...
  2. Neil.Steiner

Questions about Hansgrohe iBox rough-in

I've been looking at a Hansgrohe rough-in plus trim for a shower/tub remodel, but I'm very unclear on the iBox connections. Firstly, the iBox specifications describe the connections as "thread Rp ¾" with "dimension DN20." That sounds pretty foreign to me, although based on Terry's and...
  3. Neil.Steiner

Is HansGrohe a good brand?

My wife and I are having a contractor remodel a hall bathroom, and while shopping around I was introduced to Hansgrohe. As plumbers do you have thoughts and experience with the brand? Do you like working with it? Does it last well? Does the fact that the company is German make parts harder...
  4. Neil.Steiner

Tub spout still drips after valve + seat replacement

An older 3-handle shower of mine developed a problem where even when the faucets are turned off, the spout would still drip a little, and I had to turn the faucets really tight to get the dripping to stop. My wife tells me the problem is mostly with the hot water faucet. I hired a plumber for...
  5. Neil.Steiner

Unidentified discoloration on flooring near tub and sink

My upstairs bathroom has short wall between a tub and a sink, with a door just beyond the edge of the tub. Over the last few months, the floor just outside the door has become increasingly discolored, but I haven't been able to determine the source of the presumed water leak. I have looked...
  6. Neil.Steiner

Trying to eliminate bead of water inside wall from new shower arm

I set out to replace a shower head and realized I would have to also replace the shower arm, since the ball at the end of the existing arm doesn't unscrew. So I used a 1/2" tap to clean up the threads inside the wall, before putting 5-6 turns of teflon tape on the arm and screwing it in. I...
  7. Neil.Steiner

Does shimming a toilet risk cracking the base?

Question: With my toilet sitting on the flange, without a wax ring in place, I've found that I can place two 1/16" metal washers at 1 o'clock, and one 1/16" metal washer at 3 o'clock to eliminate all wobbliness. I think the washers are zinc or something, but I realize I should replace them...
  8. Neil.Steiner

Paini lavatory faucet, How would I find this faucet replacement part?

Happily begging once again for advice from the experts: I'm looking for a replacement part for a single handle lavatory faucet. Mine looks somewhat like the LaToscana 82PW211L Brunello by Paini, Paini apparently being an Italian import. This is the part in question: It's something like...
  9. Neil.Steiner

Loud popping sounds from water heater after pipes have been drained

I drained my water pipes because I need to replace a failing saddle valve on the hot side with a proper Tee and quarter-turn valve. I began by turning off power to the water heater, turning off the water main, opening all faucets starting from the top of the house and working my way down. The...
  10. Neil.Steiner

What is failing? TRP valve or expansion tank or both?

[Disclaimer: I posted a very similar question at Stack Exchange Home Improvement, but then wondered why I didn't go straight to the experts on this site.] Do water heater TPR valves fail gradually or catastrophically? A day or two ago, I noticed about a capful of water in the pail below my...
  11. Neil.Steiner

What causes was seals to fail when they don't rock?

I just reassembled a toilet that had suddenly leaked fairly dramatically between the tank and bowl when I flushed (a real plumber helped me with the shutoff valve). After turning on the water, I checked for leaks and found none. Then I flushed the toilet and noticed a little bit of water...
  12. Neil.Steiner

DYI compression fitting problems

I needed to replace a toilet shutoff valve that wouldn't turn completely off, and I bought a ball valve to do the job. The previous compression fitting had been on pretty tight, leaving indentations from the ferrule on the copper pipe. I wasn't sure whether that would be a problem, and for...
  13. Neil.Steiner

Seepage between heater inlet and dielectric nipple

I just installed a hot water expansion tank, as my first ever "real" plumbing job, put everything back together, and ended up with a bit of seepage after restoring pressure to the system. (I learned how to solder copper pipe from YouTube and from some of your posts, and that part is fine.) I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks