Search results

1. essjay

Ditra Usage

I have some leftover Ditra from an earlier tile job. I am doing an entryway with a floating floor and was wondering if the Ditra could be used as an underlayment/height riser under this type of flooring. It raises the floor perfectly to the height of the existing solid hardwood floor. Searched...
  2. essjay

ABS Tub Surround and CBU Adhesive

Before I regret a wrong choice... Just purchased an ABS tub surround and contrary to their directions, which call for drywall to be used in the tub/shower area, I have used Durock cement board. My own preference is to NOT use any drywall in this area and the CBU is already up and not going...
  3. essjay

Hot Water Tank and Mixing Valve

Finally have my water heater tank ready to go. The proper method to use the water heater from what I've read is to first let the tank fill and open a faucet for the hot water. When the faucet flows the tank is filled and power can then be applied to the tank. But if a thermostatic mixing valve...
  4. essjay

Partially Closed Shutoff

Had 'annual' servicing done to combi boiler yesterday and tech could not answer my question.... There is a shutoff ball valve on the baseboard heat supply side pipe of the circulator pump (3 zones, 1 pump) that I assume is for future isolation of pump in case it must be replaced. It is...
  5. essjay

Jet or Auger

Planning on getting the main sewer drain a preemptive cleaning, no problems at this writing. What method cleaning would be the proper selection for the price? I am under the impression that jetting the lines do cost more than the auger method. Would jetting allow for a longer next maintenance of...
  6. essjay

Taco Zone Valve Question

I have a taco zone valve on a supply line. Can I safely cut the pipe after the zone valve and add in a ball valve if the taco valve has no power to it. In other words, can I assume the taco valve closes 100% as the norm (are these valves quality enough to assume this?) with no power applied.
  7. essjay

Zone Isolation

I have a hot water boiler (recently replaced) that provides both DHW and heating in 3 zones. The zones are by run by floor. The basement zone piping was run through the slab when the house was built (1965). Since the piping is approaching 50 years of underground contact I want to replace the...
  8. essjay

Hot Water

Just replaced 1965 era DW supply from meter from 1/2 to 3/4 copper and added in a PRV. Now working on main HW line. Two questions I have. First, I am adding a 40 gal HW heater tank being fed from existing boiler HW line. Boiler has expansion tank on cold water feed already. Do I need to add...
  9. essjay

Plugging Sewerage Drains Information

All, Just found a link that is a good reference and thought I'd share. Happy Holidays to all.... http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/structu/ae1476.pdf
  10. essjay

Design Plans For Utility Sink And Washer in Basement

Gents, First time poster, long time site reader. You all do a great job here. Good reference information for us DIY types, in keeping everybody safe and within established standards. Thanks for that!! I am in the process of moving my washer and utility sink to another wall in the basement...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks