Search results

1. JoshB-NC

3" Iron pipe in wall when rest of house is PVC

Doing a kitchen remodel and found a vertical 3" iron pipe that I need to move. Wondering why it is iron? House was built in 1989 and all other drains are PVC. Anyone have any insight? It is from a full upstairs bath. Thanks!
  2. JoshB-NC

Best 2 gallon well tank?

This is for the pump house that runs my irrigation. Original 2 gallon tank lasted 5ish years then rusted through. It was an Amtrol I think? Grey in color if I remember correctly. Well guy had installed it. I replaced that with a 'water works' from home depot... apparently garbage as it...
  3. JoshB-NC

Kitchen and bath fixtures.. any brands to stay away from?

Remodeling our kitchen and a bathroom. Was told years ago to stay away from Delta by and old plumber friend. Wondering if all the major brands are good or not (Moen, American Standard, Kohler)? Thanks in advance!
  4. JoshB-NC

1" PEX to replace 3/4" PB in 3.5 bath 2 story home?

House was built in 1991 with 3/4 PB main line and 1/2 to fixtures. As I slowly remodel I am replacing the PB with PEX. Not sure what sizing I need.. PEXid is smaller than the PB id I am replacing.. House is on a well - 40-60psi 16gpm (if I remember correctly). Has a 100" run of 1"id black poly...
  5. JoshB-NC

HVAC condensate drain P trap drying out.. Can I use a check valve?

The condensate drain gravity flows into a stand pipe which is connected to a P trap which is connected to septic line. During the winter P trap must dry out because it smells like septic sometimes. not really that bad bad some days can catch a whiff. Would something like this cure the problem...
  6. JoshB-NC

How far can washer drain be from vent stack?

Moving washer - this is what I was planning in doing: 18" 2" stand pipe to P trap (all in interior wall). Then a 90 into a 36" vertical to drop into crawl space. Then a 90 into a 3" horizontal which ties into main 4" line to septic. Vent stack would be 7' from the drop at washer. Is this too far?
  7. JoshB-NC

Rebuild Gould JRD10 Shallow well pump?

Have an older (20 year old?) JRD10 pump. Has a well company come in and replaced 'leathers' on casing. When they did they turned pump high limit (shutoff) to 70psi. I checked it a couple times after that to be sure pump was shutting off (not first house we have had with this style pump). Well...
  8. JoshB-NC

50 gallon electric water heater - any brands better than others?

Need to buy a 50 gal tank for a buffer/mixer for my geothermal hot water. Was going to use a 50 gallon hot water heater tank from one of the box stores - is any brand better than others? Some have 6 year warranty, some have 12 - but look the same? Rheem, AO Smith. Also stainless tanks from...
  9. JoshB-NC

80 gal tank at 120F or 50 gal at 140+F? (electric)

Moving hot water heater into a different utility room so have a few questions... Currently have a Whirlpool 80 gal electric hot water heater (2x4500 watt) set at 120F. Does the job for us 95% of the time. When it does not have enough water it is because 2 of us took long showers back to back...
  10. JoshB-NC

Anyway to clean iron from inside of softener/resin?

Was having a problem with sulfur smell and had slightly hard water. Bought a new Filox system (another thread in this forum) as suggested on here. Also bought a used Culligen silver series softner. Filox seems to be working great, sulfur smell is gone. We do now have a metal smell. I am assuming...
  11. JoshB-NC

Pressure problem on jet pump

Just getting finished installing water softener and iron filter. Was going to raise the pressure of the pump up to 60/40. Its a 50/30 now. Pressure in house after going through filters is not quite what it was. Anyways - pumps kicks on at 30psi runs until about 52psi and kicks off. Pressure...
  12. JoshB-NC

1" PEX or 1" PVC when hooking up new softener?

All the current connections and piping in my well house are 1" PVC. The softener and Filox filter are both 1" pipe connections. I have been told by numerous people to use PEX instead of PVC. I have the pex tool and I have done plumbing with both. Its just that the ID of the pex is quite a bit...
  13. JoshB-NC

Softener discharge line... where to dump it?

Been reading some of the other posts - most agree to dump it in the septic. I am putting my softener in the well house which is out at the edge of the lawn. There is really no other place to put it. I was just going to run the discharge line to the edge of the property/woods and dump it. Is...
  14. JoshB-NC

Buying a used water softener - bad idea?

We need a water softener for the house we just bought (on well water). There are quite a few used systems in my area for sale as more and more houses are connecting up to the county water. Is it best to just buy a new system or is used ok? I found one with a fleck control (basic 5600 I think)...
  15. JoshB-NC

Canature Brand Brim Filter - Alternatives?

Hi, This is my first post to the board, although have been reading others post for quite some time. Great forum and lots of great info. Thank you everyone! We have a house that we recently purchased. It is on well water with a pretty bad sulfur smell. It has been recommended to me that a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks