Search results

1. DJL

Refrigerator Water Supply Valve at Wrong Angle

Thanks Terry and hj. I gave a brief attempt at turning the valve but was too worried I would damage it or cause leaks. Instead, I just notched it out as you suggested. Thanks for your help and suggestion.
  2. DJL

Refrigerator Water Supply Valve at Wrong Angle

I just had a new refrigerator delivered and a new braided water line was included for the ice maker. My water supply valve is angled about 45 degrees off center. The old refrigerator used plastic tubing, which had a smaller connector that fit fine onto this valve. The new refrigerator came...
  3. DJL

Shower Valve Assembly

I had to look that one up. No, apparently Captain Ames, the guy who started Ames tools had nothing to do with Ames Iowa.
  4. DJL

Shower Valve Assembly

Thanks fullysprinklered...yes, keeping the valve level is one of the things I was concerned about here. I'm thinking that once the escutcheon plate is screwed down tight that it will probably be ok, but I just wanted to get input from this forum first.
  5. DJL

Shower Valve Assembly

I'm a homeowner and I'm installing a Sterling Accord shower in my basement. It's a four piece unit - a base, a back wall, and two side walls. A plumber installed the water lines and what I think is a Delta multi choice universal valve for this shower. I say *think* because he left a delta...
  6. DJL

Water heater rust? Conflicting advice...

So, I'm not sure I follow here...was the problem the installer hooking the nipple straight to copper as asktom suggests? Or was it incorrect nipples installed at the factory like dj2's post seems to imply?
  7. DJL

Yeah, I think I can afford to do it now. It just bothers me that a couple of professionals have said to let it go. My line of thinking is that once the rust breeches the tank, it will start spraying out of the crack, even if it's only a light spray at first, it seems like it could quickly...
  8. DJL

The floor is concrete in a mechanical room that is about 7 feet wide. So, the water heater and drain are about 5 feet away from a framed wall. The water heater is in my basement, which is finished, with exception to the mechanical room where the water heater is. When the water heater fails...
  9. DJL

I have a Bradford White 48 gallon water heater, model number MITW50L6BN12. It is a power vent model (i think that's the right terminology) and it is 12 years old. The attached picture shows a lot of rust on the cold water supply input. I have been told by a few local guys just to wait until...
  10. DJL

Oatey No Caulk Brass Shower Drain

I set the shower base in mortar as discussed above, hooked up the no caulk drain and tightened the compression nut down on the drain so I could do a simple leak test while the mortar set up. I then waited 24 hours. The good news: the drain doesn't appear to have any leaks and the shower floor...
  11. DJL

Hi cacher_chick....this is a basement bath, so I hope I got the trap adjusted and riser centered properly when I did them about a year ago. It wouldn't be very easy to adjust them now. :) I'm taking this install slowly as I don't want to screw anything up too badly. I siliconed the drain...
  12. DJL

Thank you, Terry. This site is a really great resource! Thank you to you and everyone else on here who helps provide it! -David
  13. DJL

Thanks Terry! That answers my question. And thanks for the comment on the mortar not lifting up the pan as I was considering doing exactly that to make the drain be at the right height in relation to the PVC pipe. I will push the pan down to the floor, making sure it is level. Just two more...
  14. DJL

I am installing a Sterling Accord shower in my basement and will be using an Oatey no caulk brass shower drain. This is my first shower install, so I'm trying to figure at what height to cut the 2" PVC drain pipe. I will be putting mortar piles under the shower base (as described in one of...
  15. DJL

Plugging 3" PVC Pipe Flush to concrete

It's interesting you said that. We had a radon guy come and do a test, and I asked him if he knew what they might be and he mentioned radon mitigation as a possibility. But he didn't seem to know for sure. We eventually plan to have them come put a radon mitigation system in and he doesn't...
  16. DJL

Thanks Reach4. That page says "will not hold pressure. Just a decorative or finish plug. Mostly for keeping dirt out of pipes for transport/assembly." I'm wondering if that won't be adequate as the pressure from waste water above (2 story house) could push this out or leak around the edges.
  17. DJL

My basement has two extra unused PVC drain pipes protruding from the concrete. These are not the basement bathroom stubouts as those are located elsewhere. My guess is the builder put these in as a generic "cookie cutter" approach to house building. Anyway, I'm finishing my basement and I...
  18. DJL

Does this layout and choice of drain fittings look OK?

I am planning to glue up soon and was wondering if the following looked OK, choice of fittings, etc. Our town uses the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC). The Lav elbow is a long sweep. The toilet will have the long sweep elbow that's laying off to the side in the picture. The lav will arm over...
  19. DJL

Bedding Prep and Tips for Below Slab Drain Pipes

Thank you cacher_chick. With your beach comment, I think you are saying don't bother tamping the sand, because there's no need -- just use it to establish the slope? Thanks for the comment on rebar and backfilling the sides of the pipe with sand. I will plan to do both. For the layer of...
  20. DJL

Basement Shower Trap

I returned the threaded trap and purchased a solvent weld one. Thank you Terry and eurob!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks