Search results

1. wassermeister

Two tank solution: AirGenerate water heater with Marathon water heater as booster?

Looking for your thoughts on the use of an AirGenerate water heater that preheats the water before it hits a Marathon water heater that boosts the water temperature to 120-130 degrees Fahrenheit. The idea is that the AirGenerate water heater works exclusively in economy mode (heat pump only)...
  2. wassermeister

Hot water doesn't last

It may not be your water heater after all that's causing the issues. What are your water pipes made of? If you have galvanized pipes or are using well water you may have junk in the pipes that restrict proper flow.
  3. wassermeister

Seeking hot water replacement advice

You should get a gas water heater with minimum 0.67EF (energy factor). This is the requirement for ENERGY STAR. Rheem has a few good models around. The least expensive is an XR90 with first hour rating of 83 gallons. It is only a 29 gallon tank, but with a lot of power. It should cost about...
  4. wassermeister

basement, what is all this?

Floor clean-out with backflow valve on the main sewer line?
  5. wassermeister

What is this rustic water come from--New tankless water heater

Interesting thought - the heat exhanger is made of copper....not sure how this would oxidize....I think it is sediment. The water flow stops, it sits for sometime, the sediment settles in the water heater: you start with sediment when the water heater kicks off again.
  6. wassermeister

Your opinion on a used WH, please

In German the same idiom is used except we say "two idiots - one thought". Haha. :-)
  7. wassermeister

If you want to swap to an electric water heater you should consider getting a heat pump water heater. Operating costs are similar to a gas water heater. Manufacturers such as GE, AirGenerate, and AO Smith make decent models. Stay away from the Rheem HP50. It's garbage. If you want to replace...
  8. wassermeister

If you want to swap to an electric water heater you should consider getting a heat pump water heater. Operating costs are similar to a gas water heater. Manufacturers such as GE, AirGenerate, and AO Smith make decent models. Stay away from the Rheem HP50. It's garbage. If you want to replace...
  9. wassermeister

The tankless water heater contains some water that can settle overnight or during the day when you are not at home. It will collect at the outlet of the unit.
  10. wassermeister

You can use a Rusco Sediment Filter in place. You can visually see when there is sediment build up. When it gets dirty you can drain it out. It has a valve that you can open easily from time to time. It gets installed on the cold water line. Red Robin Restaurants have this equipment installed...
  11. wassermeister

AirGenerate AirTap Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater

I am aware of the program. It is good if you need to do an entire energy retrofit. I have a great furnance, insulation, etc.....I am really down to a few little things. I think that the Clean Energy Works program is good for folks that need to get a lot of home upgrades done, don't have any...
  12. wassermeister

Plumber reversed the hot and cold faucet placement, can it be fixed?

What is on the other side of the bathroom wall? If the supply lines can be access from underneath or from the other side of the wall you can fix the problem properly. When were the water lines redone? Did they have a wall/ceiling open?
  13. wassermeister

I just found out that Energy Trust of Oregon is offering a $500 rebate on heat pump water heaters. They are limiting it to the AirGenerate water heater model with exhaust duct. This means that consumers living in Oregon and with electric service by Portland General Electric and Pacific Power...
  14. wassermeister

Heat pump water heater

Most water heater manufacturer have an integrated heat pump water heater on the market. Some refer to them as a hybrid electric water heater - I guess that this is the hip name tag for a three decades old technology. :-) I think that 8 out of 10 heat pump water heaters are the GE Geospring...
  15. wassermeister

Rheem Marathon water heaters - limited lifetime warranty?

I read up on the Rheem Marathon water heater warranty. Looks like a lifetime warranty for the original owner of the home in which it is installed. Once the home sells the warranty is reduced to 12 years total from the time it was installed/purchased. If you make a warranty claim they will ship...
  16. wassermeister

You are right. I see weatherization contractors changing out natural draft gas water heaters for Marathon water heaters when they diagnose back drafting of exhaust gases in homes (not a problem for power vented gas water heaters). I would agree that you can run into issues replacing an electric...
  17. wassermeister

Wow - I assume that your customer was not a happy camper at all. I have heard that 6-year and 12-year warranty water heaters are often the same just with a different label. The water heater manufacturers are counting on customers never submitting a claim (with paperwork lost, etc.). I am...
  18. wassermeister

I am sick and tired of dealing with replacement of steel tank electric water heaters in rental apartments. It seems like they do not build them like they used to. The steel is either really bad or they use less of it in modern tanks compared to stuff that was build 25+ years ago. Water heaters...
  19. wassermeister

My understanding is that the AirGenerate Airtap is using a Panasonic compressor with fan that pushes 400CFM. There is a $1,000 rebate on this unit for installations in the Pacific Northwest. Qualifying installations must use a so called flow regulator that reduces the airflow to...
  20. wassermeister

Dana, Makes sense. I would not install a heat pump water heater in conditioned space when the home is heated with electric baseboards. The ductless mini-split upgrade makes sense to get rid of baseboard heaters first. I read the nwalliance link and they seem to be pushing the Northern climate...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks