Search results

1. Chicago DIY

Toilet Flange Question

False alarm - scraped the wax off got the bolts out and the flange is in great condition. That wax was nasty took me about 30mins to scrape it all off. The flange is a little bit below finished floor level. Im guessing an 1/8 of an inch. Is that OK or should I use a taller wax ring...
  2. Chicago DIY

Toilet Flange Question

I need to go back over there and scrape it away. I was thinking the cast iron was disintegrating but its got to be the old wax on there. I didn't mess with it too much. I don't have much experience with cast iron so I probably posted prematurely. I'll be over there tomorrow night and...
  3. Chicago DIY

Toilet Flange Question

I just pulled the toilet yesterday out of one of my rentals to do a quick remodel on the bathroom. The building was built in 1910 1st I could only get one bolt to unscrew, the other bolt snapped in the flange. The toilet was lime green so Im guessing its got to be from the 50's. Heres a...
  4. Chicago DIY

Replacement parts for the old radiators in my home

I just bought a radiator valve at Home Depot today for baseboard cast iron a friend was putting in for me. Now this is in Chicago so I don't know where you live.
  5. Chicago DIY

Catch Basin / Exterior Gutter Downspout Tiles Smell

I could possibly plug it....it would involve stopping the downspout use. Im assuming though I'd then have to have the catch basin cleaned to remove all the water in it etc. My wife and I just bought this house last year A couple times this summer we smelt a sewer smell in the back yard...
  6. Chicago DIY

All the houses in Chicago have external downspout drains that tie into the sewer. I think the new construction houses have seperate lines though. City of Chicago encourages people to disconnect these downspouts and let the water drain onto the yard. However its not possible in all areas...
  7. Chicago DIY

Bob, Really appreciate the posts regarding my problem. Today I ended up crawling in the crawl space and opened up the cover. It smelled like sewer once I popped it open. The water also was pretty low. I ran the garden hose in it for about an hour and it seemed to really help the...
  8. Chicago DIY

Thanks for the quick reply.... One point - the crawl space doesn't smell. do you still think it could be a venting issue? Thanks!
  9. Chicago DIY

Scenario: 1) Sewer gas smell in basement. Floor drains are holding water and I've replenished frequently. Smell is not coming from floor drain. 2) Smell seems to be coming where the foundation hits the footer inside an approximate 3ft section of the foundation. There is interior drain...
  10. Chicago DIY

Basement Floor Drain - Purpose?

I think you guys are right...leave as is....pour water down here and there so it doesn't dry out. Since my house has steam heat, I have a space vac in the attic for central air I have no way to add water to the drain here and there. Also no water softner. I figured plugging it may stop...
  11. Chicago DIY

Thanks guys.... Recommend I do not cover it over then. I noticed a mild smell coming from them...I understand from reading other posts that they can dry out. So I poured a few buckets of water down them last night. Smell seemed to stop. Wondering if there is cap or rubber flange I...
  12. Chicago DIY

Can someone tell me the purpose of a basement floor drain? I have 2 in my basement and can't determine what they are there for besides if the basement flooded. I recently added interior drain tile and a sump pump so flooding is not an issue. My real question is if I can cement over them...
  13. Chicago DIY

Sanishower for basement shower - advice please

good point, never thought of that.... ill probably just have the floor cut up thanks
  14. Chicago DIY

Sanishower for basement shower - advice please

Here's the situation: House was built in 1923. Thankfully they roughed in a toilet flange in the basement. However no drain for a shower or sink. I've debated hiring someone to come in and tap into the floor drain which is approximately 10ft way. I really can do without the mess and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks