Search results

1. JCH

Installing new boxes/wiring in plaster ceiling--tips?

Thanks for all the help guys. I now own a 54-inch drill bit ! Wish me luck...! .../john
  2. JCH

Installing new boxes/wiring in plaster ceiling--tips?

Wanting to add 3-way switches and new ceiling light locations to our plaster and lath front hall. Unfinished basement so getting power to new switch locations should be fairly easy. Question is how to get wiring to new ceiling box locations? Floor above is finished so no access from above...
  3. JCH

How to make an in-between length of brass nipple?

Local plumbing shop doesn't carry 1/2" NPT-to-Copper pipe fittings (for soldering my own nipple), so instead I tried using a 2" nipple with 10 wraps of teflon tape on each end. I mounted the spout and shower arm and it seems okay. Not sure how I'll spot slow drips inside the wet wall though....
  4. JCH

It's a Brizo (i.e. fancy Delta) shower valve set (RSVP). The spout has a diverter and the shower arm uses a brass thread-on adapter with double O-Rings on the outside that the shower arm slides over.
  5. JCH

Thanks guys -- some good options to explore.
  6. JCH

Thanks. I'll go get a couple of 2" brass nipple and see whether I can make it work with a combination of teflon tape and the canned sealant I was using before. Gotta remember to be gentle gentle gentle. Wish me luck.
  7. JCH

I've been using pipe dope. Would using extra wraps of teflon tape instead eat up 1/4" of length?
  8. JCH

Just finished tiling a new shower/tub. Having a hard time finding a brass nipple the right length for the shower arm and tub spout installation. A 2-1/2" x 1/2" brass nipple is too long (and leaves them about 1/4" from the wall. I'm assuming that the next length down (2" x 1/2") will leak...
  9. JCH

Recommended replacement for ancient oil-fired boiler ? Gas boiler? Heat pump?

I've already run room-by-room heat loss calcs for the house, plus cross-checked that against HDD vs actual consumption. I spent a few months plowing through Siggy's original book (Modern Hydronic Heating) and did all the calculations to figure out the heat loss for each room and the required...
  10. JCH

Just found a source for HTP Versa Hydro locally -- the PHE130-55P is $8,000 CAD (!). So it would be cheaper to install a NG Boiler and a stainless steel indirect tank ($4k + $1.5k CAD) instead. The upside also being reduced cost when the tank eventually springs a leak. Finally got a hold of...
  11. JCH

Thanks! Just checked and my local wholesaler (Emco) does not carry either HTP nor Chilltrix products. :-( Have to see if I can find a local Canadian supplier. Because I'm using the original (75 year old) cast iron radiators, am I correct in my assumption that they're not suitable for potable...
  12. JCH

Re-opening an old thread because I've been patiently waiting for Air-to-Water Heat Pumps to become available here in Canada. In the meantime, the CAD/USD currency exchange rate has worsened almost 30%, meaning that the capital costs are significantly climbing... I recall seeing that Altherma...
  13. JCH

Mounting copper manifolds?

So: 1) The middle manifold is attached by a bracket on each end (i.e. by 2 brackets), and 2) the two outside manifolds are each attached by the remaining free clamp in each bracket (i.e. each outside manifold held by 1 bracket)?
  14. JCH

I can't quite picture this. Do you mean to arrange the 3 manifold like a pyramid, with the 2 lower ones clamped only in the mid-manifold?
  15. JCH

Okay, good. I was thinking more along the lines of water turbulence noise (the sound of running pipes) being conducted into the structure.
  16. JCH

Thanks CB. Did you use any rubber / electrical tape under the strap to reduce noise transmission? Or is it not a problem?
  17. JCH

Thanks Sheldon I'll check to see if they're available locally. (The link didn't work)
  18. JCH

IKea wall mounted bathroom vanity install problem

IIRC, the Ikea sinks with drawers use a non-standard shoe right under the drain hole (perhaps even a bell trap) and a corrugated(!) plastic flex pipe to the wall drain connection. I would think that they'd be prone to clogs and I have no idea where'd you ever find replacement parts. Nice...
  19. JCH

IKea wall mounted bathroom vanity install problem

A street 90 would buy you about 1/2".
  20. JCH

Water distribution re-plumb

Thanks--I'll check it out!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks