Search results

1. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

I have a hard time imagining that this type of device would pass a code inspection. It would solve my problems...
  2. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

Well, after thinking about this for a few weeks and talking to some plumbers, I have more information to share (for those of you who may be following this thread with similar problems). Our overhead sewer was installed after the house was built. To clarify, the city sewer line comes in under...
  3. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

It is surprising how polarized the opinions given in this thread are. I guess backwater preventers are a touchy subject. hj - We have a pretty deep basement since our house uses open-web trusses for floor joists. The "failure point" in the above diagram is 7ft above the basement floor and 20"...
  4. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

If you are implying that I'm dumping drain tile water into the sewer - you are incorrect. I have 3 basins in my basement with 4 pumps: 1) Original sump pit: fed by drain tiles, pumped thru pipe in back yard - this pump has been unplugged since I moved in since it creates a swimming pool in...
  5. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

I read this last post and you'd have to diagram it to follow it - so I did. I apologize to everyone whose heads blew up! As I asked previously, why did the designer of this system connect the purple input pipe to the sewer? Wouldn't the best bet be to vent this directly outside? If it was...
  6. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

hj, Both sewer pipes with the cleanouts go into the floor. The large pipe (left) services 2 toilets, 2 sinks, a tub and (I believe) it continues up and out the roof (we only have 1 vent - this appears to be it). It isn't directly connected to the "overhead sewer" in the picture. The smaller...
  7. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

Here is a picture of our current overhead sewer:
  8. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

hj, That was my thinking when I first posted. Our neighborhood did have a sewer backup in summer 2010 and our "overhead sewer" did save us. I would guess that 75% of the neighborhood had ruined items out for garbage pickup; this incident is what prompted the city to investigate. Although...
  9. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

We actually live in a subdivision (suburb of Milwaukee) whose sewer flows into a million gallon underground tank and then the sewage is pumped to Milwaukee to be processed. Since the pumping station has no battery backup, there is a chance of sewer backup when power is lost. The city is...
  10. jhoybs

Sewer backflow preventer

I live in a 1500sq ft ranch with a full basement. Our subdivision has a high water table and there is a history of sewer backups. Our house currently has all the sewer drains in the basement draining into a sewage ejector pit whose output pipe goes up to the ceiling (of basement) and then back...
  11. jhoybs

Question on Zoeller Pumps

As I mentioned in my thread, my plumber installed a Little Giant 4/10hp with an integrated diaphragm switch and the switch only lasted 15 months. I was then able to use a switch replacement kit to get it working again. I'm contemplating having my sump basin enlarged and switching to a manual...
  12. jhoybs

Question on Zoeller Pumps

buw, I am also interested in the Levelguard switch. Did you end up buying one or did you go with the Vertical Master switch? My pit is even more active than yours (262K cycles/year). I started a thread (Switch for Active Sump Pump), but I currently have no replies. I have a BSEE so I have...
  13. jhoybs

Switch for Active Sump Pump

My family moved to our current house in May 2010. The house (late 1970's) has a basement with two sump pump pits - one was original construction and the other a french drain system (I think) leading to a pit added in 1990. We use the "added" french drain system as our primary pump and the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks