Search results

1. Dwassner

Not using Hydronic PEX with Boiler...

Basically, I didn't use the PEX with the barrier when I installed a few of the loops in my system, as I was not aware of the issue it solves. It has been like this for 4+ years. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have a Lochinvar boiler and it has a stainless steel heat exchange. I was...
  2. Dwassner

Connecting Garden Hose to Pressure Tank Line

My pressure tank is connected with 3/4" pex to the main 1" pex line. I want to use untreated water for the garden hoses. Can I run a tee from the 3/4" run that is connecting the pressure tank? It is the only location that allows me to tap into untreated water without having to do a decent...
  3. Dwassner

Replacing Capacitor on Main Control Board With A Watch Battery Housing?

For years I have not used the Night Set Back feature on my Lochinvar WHN055 because when we have power outages, the date and time needs to be manually reset, which is kind of a pain... Per the Lochinvar rep, the capacitor on the board is bad, otherwise the unit would remember what time it is...
  4. Dwassner

What Valve is Designed to Reduce Flow but Not Eliminate It?

I have one circulator pump. One of my zones is getting a lot more flow due to size, elbows, etc. I have had the ball valve partially shut to balance the flow but know that this is not the right way to do it in the long term. I thought the valve I needed was a 'globe valve' but when I search...
  5. Dwassner

Boiler Condensate Neutralizer Question

I made my own neutralizer out of 2" pvc, 30" long, tilted upward, so that the condensate needs to fill the entire pipe from the bottom before exiting out the top. The pvc is filled with crushed marble. After a few years, I just checked the filter and it still had marble chips in it, but not...
  6. Dwassner

Designing Chlorination Setup - Need Help

I sold my AIO and am looking to build a chlorination setup. I see kits online that come with all the components for a full setup but am skeptical about if I can buy the individual parts separately and have a better setup for cheaper. -How do I size the retention tank? I am guessing something...
  7. Dwassner

Lochinvar Boiler is Not Throttling Back Like Usual

I have had the boiler set up for a few seasons now with the current outdoor reset, differential, and offset. Tonight, I noticed that the unit was cycling on and off several times within 30 minutes. The current setpoint for the given outdoor temp is 131 f. While the boiler is off (and the...
  8. Dwassner

How To Use Both Radiant and Baseboard

We currently have baseboards. Boiler temps range from 125-180 depending on outdoor temp. I have adjusted the outdoor reset as best as possible to where it never quite satisfies the thermostats. We are making an enclosed mudroom and I have the opportunity to put radiant floor heat in (as a...
  9. Dwassner

Looking for Advice on Chlorination Setup

Our sulfur problems have continued to get worse. I found that giving a bleach bath to our katalox AIO system helped, but only for a few days at best... My wife and I really wanted to avoid chlorine but I feel we are out of options. Here are a few questions I have to start: where do you even...
  10. Dwassner

Could I locate my brine tank 40 ft from my softener?

And if I were to do this, are there any settings that would have to be changed to compensate? I have been hauling bags of salt into my basement for 8 years... and it just occurred to me that maybe I could just move the brine tank into the garage?
  11. Dwassner

Trying to determine the most efficient salt dose for my extremely hard water...

54 gpg hardness + (1.0 ppm iron x 5) = 59 gpg compensated hardness 150 avg. gallons per day x 59 gpg = 8,850 grains per day This is where I get confused: 10 lbs salt dose x 2.0 cu. ft. system = 20 lbs of salt 20 lbs total salt dose / 3 lbs of salt per gallon =...
  12. Dwassner

Katalox 2510SXT not working after a few months...

I installed this system about a year ago and it worked for several months and now the water is back to smelling like sulfur. The rep I bought it from suggested I fill the big blue just before the unit half way up with bleach and let that flow into the tank and let it sit for 2 hours. Before...
  13. Dwassner

Lochinvar boiler not at correct firing rate

For some reason the boiler will sit there for 20+ minutes with a DHW demand and will hum along at 20% despite it being significantly below the setpoint. This ought to be pinned at 100% yet it stays at 20% The outdoor shutdown is 60F, so multiple demands is not the issue as there cannot even be...
  14. Dwassner

Pressure Tank Has Water In It But It Appears To Still Be Working..

I have never experienced a bad pressure tank, but as I am redoing some plumbing, I had the tank disconnected and brought it outside, went to flush it out, and I can hear water sloshing around the top. I tried to put air in it but it doesn't appear to be holding. If the tank is bad, will the pump...
  15. Dwassner

Using pumps instead of zone valves with 'full flow' plumbing

My Lochinvar mod con was installed with 'full flow' plumbing (as opposed to a primary/secondary loop). It has been running great for 7 years. The setup currently is 2 zones controlled by zone valves and a single pump I have noticed 2 things: -one of the zones has baseboards that are typically...
  16. Dwassner

I'm 99% sold on this air injection system for my sulfer removal...

But before I pull the trigger, I was hoping to get input from you all. The water rep stated my water was .5-1.0 ppm of sulfer. It had 2.0ppm iron 5 years ago but has since dropped to 1.0 ppm iron. The unit I am looking at states: BACKWASH RATE NEEDED: 5 GPM SERVICE FLOW RATE: 4 GPM PEAK FLOW...
  17. Dwassner

Question about needing a prefilter

I have lived in the house 6 years. Installed a single tank softener when we moved in, I believe a Fleck 9100 or something similar to that, don't quite remember We normally have 2.0 ppm iron and 22 gpg hardness. I have it adjusted to 0 ppm and 0 gpg. Has been like this for 6 years. Question...
  18. Dwassner

Why do mod-con boilers even need an offset setting?

As I am making adjustments to my Lockinvar Knight boiler, I have spent a lot of time staring at its display and see that the unit decreases firing rate as it approaches the setpoint, and lightly increases firing rate as it falls away from it, just as I would have expected it to. But as I am...
  19. Dwassner

Lochinvar high limit manual reset - keeps locking out

Little confused here. I recently turned the setpoint up from 170 to 190 with a 9 deg differential. I wanted the max temp through the red pex to be under 200. During the cold season 170 does not warm the house. Since increasing the setpoint, I keep going into lockout with either the manual or...
  20. Dwassner

What is the powder that comes in my hardness/iron test kit?

Can anyone tell me what the actual powder is for each test I run, iron and hardness? Does anyone know of a website that discusses how different water tests work, like chlorine, bacteria, hardness, etc? I have a well and find this very fascinating. thank you, DW
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks