Search results

1. Little Tim

Looking for new water heater - done my reaserch, but need advice!

Thanks for the replies. I can certainly see that a bigger tank might be the way to go. As mentioned, our current tank is 60 gallons, 55,000 btu with a 46 gallon recovery rate (I think I said 48 before). If I'm calculating properly, that gives it roughly a 94 gallon first hour recovery rate...
  2. Little Tim

Looking for new water heater - done my reaserch, but need advice!

Lots of great contributors in this forum, so I hope I can tap into your knowledge and get some advice! I have done lots of research, discussed options with my plumber, but I'm still stumped. Here is all the information I've got: Location: Toronto, Canada House(hold): 1949 one and a...
  3. Little Tim

standard vent vs. direct vent

I'm curious as to why you emphasize that a direct vent would normally not be the first choice unless there's an overriding reason. After all the research I've done I'm surprised direct vent isn't used more often. No need for electricity, no noisy power vent, no need for chimney (most people have...
  4. Little Tim

Water forming behind vapor barrier

Well, well, well, after all that we decided to go with all spray foam after all. When we did the demo we found that the rafters are just 2x4 and not 2x6 as we had expected. That would have left very little space for proper insulation with foam board or batts. Furring out was not an option due to...
  5. Little Tim

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm still learning about this, so I've read your post 5 times now to try and come up with some reasonable follow-up questions. 1. I was pretty sure that our walls were double brick with a cavity in between. That seems to have been the standard post-war building...
  6. Little Tim

I'm new to this forum and instead of creating a new thread I figured I'd follow up in here. We're about to renovate the upstairs of our 1949 double-brick one and a half story house in Toronto: We bought the house in 2009 and have already done a lot of work to it (new windows/doors...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks