Search results

1. Studly

If boiling water is poured down a drain, what is more likely to melt first? Tubing or gaskets?

No disposal, and yes, I already told my wife that cold water trick if she has to pour anything down the drain that is really hot. Good tips ... thanks.
  2. Studly

If boiling water is poured down a drain, what is more likely to melt first? Tubing or gaskets?

Yup, good idea but tried that already. Did not change anything. This is definitely a chemical smell and it only happens with hot water.
  3. Studly

Thanks for the helpful info! Yeah, it also smells when the dishwasher is draining hot water into that drain, before the P-trap. So that would rule out the basket strainer. But good idea to check for that too.
  4. Studly

One night, my wife poured a large pot of recently boiled water down the kitchen sink drain. After that we noticed a strong chemical smell coming from the sink drain, which eventually went away. We have a polypropylene P trap below that sink. I explained to her not to do that anymore, and even...
  5. Studly

Does a Maxitrol 325-3 Regulator step the natural gas pressure down to 1/2 PSI?

A plumber told me the main line is at 2 PSI ... is that common in certain parts of the country? I'm in Minnesota. I've read that many people have 1/2 PSI throughout, like you probably do. That's probably more common, right?
  6. Studly

Does a Maxitrol 325-3 Regulator step the natural gas pressure down to 1/2 PSI?

In my home, I have a main natural gas line coming in at 2 PSI, and then a branch goes to a Maxitrol 325-3 regulator, which then goes to the gas lines feeding my furnace, water heater and dryer. I assume that regulator steps the pressure down to 1/2 PSI? Is that correct and isn't that what those...
  7. Studly

Need advice on best way to create better washer standpipe under utility sink

Since I moved in, my house has had an unstable standpipe made of 1-1/2" compression PVC parts and fittings for my washer to drain into. Take a look at the photo below, which I took after partially dismantling things. The standpipe is removed in the photo and connected on the right side of the...
  8. Studly

How fix delayed fill with Korky 528MP fill valve?

An update: I fixed the problem after making the post above. I saw an earlier post in this forum where someone said when there is a delay with the valve turning on, that you should check the hole at the bottom of the black square float housing and make sure it isn't clogged. Sure enough, I...
  9. Studly

How fix delayed fill with Korky 528MP fill valve?

I have the Korky 528MP fill valve that is often recommended on this forum. Installed it a couple years ago, but it is now having a problem where after flushing, there's a delay before it turns the water on. The delay used to be maybe 20 seconds and it's getting worse and now takes a few minutes...
  10. Studly

Best way to give wire coming out of wall a finished look?

Thanks, looks nice! I do have an osc. tool and was planning to use it. But since I don't need a full outlet there, not sure if it's worth the trouble to put in a single gang box. I think just a cover will do to cover up the hole I'll need to fish the wire through. For your microwave outlet, that...
  11. Studly

Thanks for the tip! I like the idea on the plate. Otherwise, would have to cut out a lot of wood in the back of the cabinet to fit a receptacle in there.
  12. Studly

I'll be working on installing LED under-cabinet lights in our kitchen, and I have to fish electrical wire up an insulated wall and into the back of a kitchen cabinet, where I will connect it to the LED driver/transformer/power supply that I'll mount in the back of the cabinet. I won't have an...
  13. Studly

Best size ChannelLock pliers to do plumbing work: 440?

Thanks for the reply. For the one you use for toilets, did you mean the 460 -- the 16 inch Channellock? I don't see a 640 listed anywhere. Is the 16" about the largest size Channellock that most plumbers carry?
  14. Studly

Best size ChannelLock pliers to do plumbing work: 440?

What size ChannelLock pliers do you plumbers recommend as a good all-around size to do residential plumbing, and I want it big enough to also work with 1-1/2" PVC threaded fittings. Is the Channel Lock 440 12" about right?
  15. Studly

What kind of "push and seal" bathroom sink drain do you recommend?

Thanks for the reply, Terry. Yeah, I ended up ordering the KES drain because it appears to be all metal and reviewers say how well built it is. The Pfister one is plastic. Sounds like the KES drain has crappy gaskets, which is the main knock on them, but I plan to use putty on top and pipe dope...
  16. Studly

What kind of "push and seal" bathroom sink drain do you recommend?

I want to replace my traditional rod and lever bathroom sink drains with the kind you push to close and push to open. What brand do you plumbers recommend? Online there are some highly rated, inexpensive ones from KES (although the washers are bad on those, they say) and Pfister. But not sure...
  17. Studly

Toto Soft Close Repair?

For those of you who have successfully performed the repair, how long does it take? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble to fix mine that are closing too fast or if I should just buy new seats for my Totos? Anyone know of a better-built soft-close seat than the Toto? Is the Bemis...
  18. Studly

Need advice on best way to redo laundry room faucet and plumbing

Yeah, I was thinking of single hole faucet with a sprayer for the other hole. Something inexpensive, like this Delta faucet.
  19. Studly

Need advice on best way to redo laundry room faucet and plumbing

Thanks for the tips! I was planning to use pex (due to its flexibility) to connect to the copper below the ball valves and go down and wrap around and go underneath the sink. Is that a bad idea since you suggested copper? Is there a way to connect the washing machine hoses to pex, on the side...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks