Search results

1. HammerSlammer

Boiler problem.

I have a 10 year old Slant Fin boiler with a closed loop baseboard system. Everything has been rock solid for 10 years but this season I have an intermittent problem of not firing. A few weeks ago i went over and just messed with it a little shut the power off and turned it back on and it fired...
  2. HammerSlammer

B-tank Acetylene ?

I had a tenant who was a plumber and when he left, (owning money), he left some tools, torches, and three acetylene bottles. It's been a few years so I figure they are mine to sell. My questions are: Do I need to look for some certification dates? and What might be a good price to ask on...
  3. HammerSlammer

Another gfci question.

I installed a Home Depot 3 pack of gfci's last June and they seemed to work great with the test button. This week I bought another 3 pack and a gfci tester. I installed one and it worked great. Then I put the tester on one I installed last June and it tripped and would not reset. Then tested...
  4. HammerSlammer

Root killer??

I have a property that needs a rooter service about once a year. The house really needs to be scraped so a real house can be built there so I'm trying to hang in there a few more years and therefore don't care to redo sewer lines at this point. So as far a maintenance goes is it worth...
  5. HammerSlammer

load demand for new water heater

I'm down to the wire on getting my 4- plex lowboy gas water heaters switched to 50 gallon electric and I'm checking the load calculations one more time. I can't seem to find the online calculator i used in the past and the mike holt calculator shows a 100 amp serv no matter what i put in...
  6. HammerSlammer

Next years lawn question.

I got my new water line in down at 6 feet. Thanks for all the good advice. I found out my lot is a like a big pile of mason's sand. No wonder i can't keep water on the grass. Now that the yard is pretty torn up I'm looking for things I might do to make it easier to hold moisture in the...
  7. HammerSlammer

New water service.

The water bills seemed high for abou 11 months so I finally shut off the water in the house and went to the curb where the meter is. It was turning and it's looking like I'm losing about 250 gallons a day. It's real sandy soil so I guess it is just going into the ground. .. Anyway the plumber...
  8. HammerSlammer

Another hardware question

This is the original Crane pedestal from about 1930. We still have the Crane tub and the wall hung tank in one bathroom and about ten years age we tried to find replacement hardware for this sink. We had no luck but that was before Terry Love had a website. You can see the overflow chamber is...
  9. HammerSlammer

Old style faucet replacement

Are there replacements for this type of faucet. The sink was original to the house and is set up as a second sink in the laundy room. My wife likes it but i can't keep it from leaking without messing with the washers every 2 weeks. A replacement would be nice. Thanks for all the help on this...
  10. HammerSlammer

The new 2008 nec.

I'm ready to buy the book, the pocket guide, and the disk. I'm not looking to save a buck I just want the best place to buy. Seems I remember a forum site that was advertising code books ?? Otherwise Amazon i guess?
  11. HammerSlammer

3/4 ball valves.

I'm still preping for my 4 unit water heater conversion from lowboy gas to electric. I want to add some shutoffs while I have the plumber out and i'm looking to buy 24 3/4" ball valves. The plumber doesn't care but i prefer threaded in case i have to mess with something in the future... Is there...
  12. HammerSlammer

Grounding, bonding, potential??

I keep thinking there is a fairly simple explaination or maybe a drawing that can set me straight on grounding, bonding , and potential. I've read quite a bit on the subject and consider myself of reasonable intelligence. Why can't i get this?? Any help would be appreciated.
  13. HammerSlammer

Disconnect for water heater??

I'm moving my water heater and I guess i will need a disconnect at the new location. So i'm thinking a metal box with a double pole single throw 30 amp switch will do. Am I close?? Thanks!!
  14. HammerSlammer

3/4 compression coupling.

I do some plumbing repair on my own property but have trouble soldering wet pipe in a crawl space. I saw these 3/4 copper and brass compression fittings at lowes and thought these would be nice for me for capping off or breaking into a line. I familiar with compression on stops etc. and i've...
  15. HammerSlammer

1921 Myers piston pump

Here is my lawn pump. This thing works great. I rebuilt the piston twice but both times I found out the piston was fine but i had bought the parts and it was all apart... One time it turned out to be holes in the galvy draw pipe just below the normal water line and the other time it was a...
  16. HammerSlammer

Impact sprinkler heads won't reverse.

It seems my impact sprinkler heads stop reversing after a a year or so. Some I've had for five years and work great but most of them go after about a year. I've tried a few different brands . I run an irrigation pump with pressure tanks so I have tried changing the pressure. No luck. Changing to...
  17. HammerSlammer

New water heaters.

I'm getting ready to replace 4 water heaters on a multi that has existing lowboy gas in the crawler. I'll be relocating the new, (electric), units so the plumber said that if I bought them and set them he would come and hook them up. When i told him I was thinking Whirlpool lowboys at Lowes he...
  18. HammerSlammer

Lowboy gas waterheaters.

I built a 4-plex in 1985 and had 4 lowboy's in the crawler. The 4 went bad within a few months of each other in 1997 and were replaced. I need to anticipate replacement again and I understand the lowboy's are no longer produced. Space is tight so I'm considering maybe an electric low profile or...
  19. HammerSlammer

Old fireplace insert

We have a gas fireplace insert probably from the very late 1800's to the early 1900's. It has very ornate brass/iron grill work over what looks like an asbestos glow cloth?? We are assuming it is too dangerous to use but were thinking about saving the grill work and trying to fit something that...
  20. HammerSlammer

Operating temperature for hot water heat??

Hi, I'm new here but have dropped in a few times to check it out. Seems like a great site. <P> I have a question about a good operating temperture for hot water heat with baseboard rads. I ran into one yesterday at a lady's house that was operating at 230 degrees F and then I went to check one...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks